Idzik spot on..sorry those who disagree

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Aug 11, 2014.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I think the saying "pushing the panic button" was invented by Jets fans....not even at the 2nd game of the preseason
    and they're already looking for reasons to fire the front office..for injuries no one can predict....

They can't do nothing right.....team had many holes to fill....they got their safety, tigh tend, WR's and help with the OL, those
    were their highest priorities. I agree with the original poster.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Most of the people trashing Idzik started doing it on draft weekend. Go figure.

3. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

We're still in the process of rebuilding. Teams that rebuild don't just go and spend up to the cap after the their 1st year of starting over. I'm fine with what Idzik has done. It's nice knowing that we can re-sign our own and go and get an elite player if one comes available.

deeznuts21 and Barcs like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good points. Today we learn that our accountant JI doesn't even know if "we have 21 mil under the cap". So in other words forget about resigning Kerley and Wilkerson if we went after a very good CB. Considering the new magic numbers in the tank our options are what Idzik wants: draft, trade or call on our depth players. Look forward to Jets rebuilding 2014-2018 lol.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Stopped reading here because there was no way anything you said after was going to be smart.

6. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I agree with Idzik but just to play devils advocate here for a moment.....

What does signing Vick to 1 year deal do for long term success? How about CJ to 2 years?

I guess you could argue that in weak areas (RB and backup QB) Idzik had to plug holes while he waits to build through the draft. Likewise you could then also expand that and suggest he should have also filled some holes at CB while he continues to build back there.....

Anyway, no big deal just trying to be fair to both sides of the discussion

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Its not the injuries or McDougle being a possible all pro that has me pissed about all of this..not at all.

While, so far, Idzik has shown some good stuff right out of the gate, leaving over 22 million under the cap on the table to a position that EVERYONE knew was a problem is/was trying to be smarter then the situation. It was trying to be cute and give that genius mentality that might just cost this team a playoff spot this year. When you are so strong in some positions on defense and so weak in the secondary, this move screams of trying to be smarter then what was on paper for everyone to see.

With some teams, it could cost a guy his job. Now that shouldnt even be close for Idzik but its 100 percent a strike one...over the middle of the plate. Teams that were in the Jets position...with barely any cap room at all...did more desperate things to make sure the secondary would be at least average. Could it still be average? I dont know. No clue.

But to leave over 22 million dollars on the table and have a guy like Revis who would be willing to sign a one year deal...I mean...I was all for letting him go when he wanted all that money and went to the Bucs. This? This screams of holding a grudge.

Revis might suck this year...for all we know he might be 70 percent of the old Revis....but when you have the money just sitting in the bank and you could sign a guy for 1 year....this was just a flat out stupid move.

Any team sitting on that amount of money is just telling you they are throwing away a season...and no Jet fan here I believe thinks thats the case. So why....why be in this position that you are praying your number 1 pick last year who sucked for 3/4 of the year before showing promise is that player and only better this year.

If Millner is not that player this year...or gets hurt....this team is officially fucked back there. All because our front office thought it was smarter then the game...the game that tells you have to spend almost everything you have when one weakness can kill an entire season for a team that could win 10 games.

Dumb move...very dumb move.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Idzik looks to the future not the present. That 22 million in its entirety can be carried over to next season. Take a look at some of the WRs that will be available then, plus we will need to pay Wilkerson and others. It allows us to secure important people for the long term as well as add that critical free agent that could put us over the edge. If we had added Revis for 12 million, that's half the money gone, and less for next year as well. The team needs offense more than anything. Other teams have won superbowls with lesser talent at CB.

LOL at it costing somebody their job. Get real. Signing all big name FAs isn't what creates long term success. It creates a short window where you either win it all or fail and the team regresses. This happened during the Tannenbaum years. #2 CB isn't even close the most crucial position on the team, and the injury to McDougle doesn't change this. Without knowing for sure that Geno is our guy, it makes no sense to add luxury players like Revis.

He'd look like a complete idiot if he did that. Why trade him in the first place if you plan to bring him back again and clog up the cap space. He was traded for that exact reason. It would be incredibly illogical as much as fans would love to see him back.

We went 8-8 last year. We're hardly on the cusp of a superbowl. You don't have to spend most of the cap to build a team. Milliner has shown he can be that guy, and obviously they aren't just praying. They see the guy every day in practice. Sorry but your argument is absurd. Milliner had to adjust to man coverage schemes as well as fight an injury for the first 1/4 of the season.

Sorry but people whining and complaining about Idzik have no patience whatsoever and have no logical arguments against his strategy. It's just looking for somebody to blame and scapegoating them. Talk to me in a few years and if we're not an annual contender then you can start attacking Idzik for not spending enough money in the first two years, on a rebuilding team lol.

#48 Barcs, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    deeznuts21, Jetaho and Axel3419 like this.
  9. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

vick and cj are short term players, only long term player idzik has signed long was decker, he is 27

10. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Vick isn't about long term success. It's about putting a floor at the QB position which has held back this team for years by having someone besides McIlroy and Garrard and Simms there in case Geno is not the guy.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Going back to 2013, instead of letting Revis play out his re-hab year here for $16M, Idzik parlayed Revis into Sheldon The Beast Richardson, 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year, who will be here for 6 years at a total cost of less than what Revis' one re-hab year would have cost us.

Idzik DID entertain FA DBs this year. He couldn't come to reasonable terms but he did try.

And Idzik did spend 2 first round pics plus a third on the secondary. That's a lot.

Plus there will be more to come. Soon.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Aside from the obvious fact that doing that would not have hurt the long term, meaning it is not relevant to discussing the long term, there are some other factors.

People talk about Tom Brady when they talk about the Patriots and winning. But it's not all him, and it leaves out that he's played his whole career there in any event. He could have tried to go FA or something else. Instead he has not only stayed there, he even restructured to help the team. Why?

Because he thinks each season, every season, they do what they can to field a winning team, the best team possible. They have had years when they were rebuilding more than others to be sure. But they have never gone through a true rebuilding year the whole time he has played there.

If you were a player, would you like playing for a team that was intentionally making choices that indicated the so-called long term was more important than fielding the best possible team in the coming season? If you were a veteran player, with a limited number of years ahaed of you? If you were any player who risks having a career ending injury every time they play?

Speaking as a fan of this team, I certainly get the focus on the long term, since that has been the nature of my relation to them. But I also know that as John Maynard Keynes said about focusing only on the long term in economic policy, in the long run we are all dead.

F only focusing on the long term.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

You just compared the Pats situation to the Jets?

14. Big Blocker

Not that tired warhorse argument of the FO Homers again.

If the FO only had one first round pick last off season, and Revis were still on the team, whether they would have picked RIchardson at Milliner's spot or not is beside the point. If that were the situation they SHOULD have picked Richardson instead of Milliner.

Please.

15. Big Blocker

At least you got that part. But did you understand the reason why?

16. BroadwayAaron

Yes. But I think it's kinda foolish to use Tom Brady and the Patriots as the standard. They are one of the VERY few teams who haven't had to endure a rebuilding process in the past 10-12 years. The CBA is different, the business different. You can't make that comparison at all. In theory everything you just said should tie a nice ribbon on the argument that we should have focused on just this year, but it doesn't because that's just not the reality. If you think it is well then... that explains a bit.

This is a pretty big stretch, and I've seen you make some big ones.

17. Big Blocker

I am not going to talk to you anymore here since you either did not read my whole post or did not understand it, or more likely you DID understand it but do not want to reasonably concede the point I made. I can't waste time with posters like you. As for the others...

NE appeals to players, Tom Brady included, because they try to field the best team possible every year. It is NOT about whether the Jets are in a rebuilding year. Signing Revis would not have hurt the team's long term prospects.

Players want to play for teams that have something other than the long term only in mind. It is quite simple, actually. That is a benefit that is cast aside when the FO makes moves that fail to help the team in the short run, particularly when they have no long term cost.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

You still don't understand that when you have a top 5 all-time QB, a surefire hall of famer and three time champion under center, you're going to attract players no matter what? Not to mention one of the best coaches in football? You made a shitty blanket statement using a ridiculous standard. You can keep writing me off like I'm not proving you wrong, but as long as you know inside that you are making a bad point, we're all good.

19. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

I don't understand people's reasoning that signing Revis or any other CB on a short term 1-2 year deal wouldn't have any long-term effect on the team. The team loses 10-12 million that's going to be rolled over onto next season's cap figure if they sign Revis. That's 2-3 middle roster players or more probable the extra money that will be needed to resign Wilk, Snacks, Kerley (maybe), and other depth players.

20. BroadwayAaron

You're not going to reach them man. It's been broken down time after time but at the end of the day, the people that wanted Revis here refuse to admit they just wanted him here because it would feel cool. Nevermind the football ramifications.