Idzik spot on..sorry those who disagree

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I agree I'm not 100% convinced either but DRC certainly had some asterisks given play prior to this year and his retirement commentary. Let's see how this shakes out and at least we have some cap flexibility

2. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I think the overreaction is pretty silly. Our situation is really not much different than what we had a week ago. It is unfortunate that McDougle got hurt, he would have possibly started. Milliner should be back by week 2 or 3. Antonio Allen seemed to do well in practice, and Walls and Lankster are decent. Wilson is not as bad as people think. We need the $20 million in cap space because securing our core players is going to be expensive. I do not have a problem where we are at CB, I don't see what we could have realistically done to be in a much better spot. Injuries happen. It looked like McDougle was a good pick in the third round, but that's football. Throwing money at DRC would have been reckless IMO. We are still likely a year or 2 away from truly being rebuilt, I think we are on the right path.

If there was one thing that concerns me is that Ryan's defense does not lend itself to being cap friendly. To really field the defense he wants needs talent, certainly more than some other schemes. Expect more defensive 1st and 2nd rounders and an offense that continues to lag behind.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Its just tough for people that the fans and GM have different mentalities.

Jets fans (rightfully so) want to win right now. Idzik wants to win right now obviously, but he is also trying to build a team to succeed for the next 5 years. The CB situation sucks right now, but its about the long term. Signing mediocre veteran CB's to long term deals isnt what will lead to sustainable success. That is what a team that is knocking on the door to a SB should be doing.

I imagine once again CB will be among the top needs going into next season with OL and MLB (Hopefully not QB). I think that CB will be addressed early in next years draft. Going into next season we would have invested 3 early picks and a 3rd round pick into the secondary. I know its weird already discussing going into next season, but thats what Idzik is doing. I think going into next season our secondary will be set. The last thing I want are mediocre players taking up cap space when it could go to retaining our own. You want young players on financially friendly deals, your prime players on big deals, and your declining players walking in FA hopefully in exchange for compensation picks.

If people arent happy with the way Idzik is approaching FA, they may want to root for the Giants lol. Jets wont be the FA warriors that the fans want.

4. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I agree it's a bit of overreaction, but as far as antonio allen goes...no one knows how that'll work out. Antonio got beat badly by Stephen Hill in today's practice. Also got beat for a 10 yd TD/

5. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Really I thought Hill dropped all of his passes today.

Jetsruby likes this.
  6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Imo the plan for Patterson being a transition figure made most sense if the person he transitioned to was McDougle. Now that McDougle will be missing a second year of football in a row, that scenario is very unlikely.

I am putting my money on Lankster as the most likely candidate to take on that role, on the current roster. The Jets obviously do not want to move Wilson from the slot. Let's not forget doing so merely creates another hole since nickel back is the most important defensive player off the bench. If Wilson goes outside, who is the nickel? Better to leave in place a player doing a reasonable job than to expect two players rather than one to step up and fill new roles.

Walls just does not impress me. Ftr he started three games last year and perhaps coincidentally the Jets lost two of them, and he gave up a score for a touchdown in one loss. I am always reminding that it's a team game, but it is a consideration about him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

People keep trying to rationalize Idzik settling for CFL level corner depth by bringing up future cap space, but we're $21 million under the cap THIS year. Unless you're signing a guy to a multi year deal or you can actually bank unused cap room and roll it over to the next year, I don't see how unused cap space this year is going to help future extensions for Mo, etc. I don't see how giving Revis/Cro a one year deal compromises the cap.

8. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I said Hill beat him...I didn't say he caught it.

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Idzik sucks - all those CB's out there in free agency and the draft and he didn't sign anyone on the "never can get injured" list.

NYJetsO12, TNJet and FJF like this.
  10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

what corners did you want them to sign or draft?

11. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

its about spending money wisely. giving 5-6 deals to overrated players is the worst you can do.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Resigning Revis or Cro on the 1 year deals they took would have been great. Im glad we didnt sign DRC though. Hes an upgrade now but he's way overpaid.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

For about the 80th time, what does bringing back Revis for one year, a year where you're MAYBE a wildcard team, do for the club longterm? It couldn't be more clear that Idzik is looking at longterm sustainable success, thank god, and bringing someone in for one year that will either a.) walk next year or b.) command tons of money is not a smart move.

You may have wanted Revis back for nostalgic purposes, but that doesn't mean it was a good move.

As far as Cro... I agree. $3 mil for him was well worth it.

deeznuts21 likes this.
  14. NYJFan10

How exactly was bringing in Revis on a ONE year deal going to hurt us long term?

15. BroadwayAaron

I didn't say it hurts. I said it doesn't help. You bring Revis in for one year... then what? A guy that could potentially step in and be a viable replacement rides the pine while a guy who has no future on your team gets all the burn? And unless you've been living under a rock, you know that Revis cares about one person: Revis. You think he's going to take a cap-friendly deal with the Jets when other teams will undoubtedly come calling with offers in the same range as what he's making this year?

It's dumb. If we were on the verge of competing for a title, I would be furious that we didn't sign Revis.

But we're not.

16. When Tannenbaum left & the GM search began the masses were all about finding someone to "build through the draft" & "No more bad free agent contracts". Well guess what? This is what that looks like.

It takes alittle while to build a core & get your footing.But eventually if you can scout,stay patient & stick to the philosophy..you'll create a ongoing cycle of good young players in,Old declining talent out before it becomes damaging to the cap.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

KurtTheJetsFan, where do you get off coming in here and speaking truth? We'll have none of that!

18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

In order to have "sustainable" success, you first have to have 1 successful season, no?

It's like in baseball talking about how you want a 56-game hitting streak when you haven't gotten a hit in 20 games.

If the goal is to improve by 1 win per season and he can actually execute that plan, hey, I'm willing to wait until 2020 to be 14-2.

It sounds wise to talk about the future and all, but none of us knows whether he will even be alive tomorrow.

You don't have to spend irresponsibly, and you don't have to be a complete cheapskate. There is a balance that needs to be struck.

By reducing your CB situation to such dire straits, Idzik has put the team in a position to basically throw this season in the trash.

You think Belichick isn't looking for "sustainable" success? At the same time they realistically try to be competitive every year. They went out and signed Talib before. They went out and signed Revis this year.

Idzik has yet to explain how signing Revis to a 1-year deal -- when you have 23+ M in cap space -- drastically damages your ability for sustainable success. It's because you then can't roll over the $12 M into next year?

Idzik will end up having like $60+ M in cap space, and due to the CBA rules where you have to spend at least 90% of your cap space over 3 years(?), will at some point be forced into overpaying for the Mike Wallaces and Greg Jennings' of the world or for over the hill former superstars like Jared Allen. The true marquee skill position players in their primes almost never reach free agency.

legler82, NYJetsO12 and Big Blocker like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

For like, the 5th time... what does signing Revis for ONE YEAR do for your longterm success? Not a single thing. You can't come up with any logical reason, and if you come up with a reason you think is logical... it's not. Having a a guy here for one year, taking away time/development from a guy that COULD step in and be a key player for you, is dumb.

Again... anyone that wanted him here was for their own nostalgic purposes. Or they just want to be a wildcard team REALLY badly.

deeznuts21 likes this.
  20. NYJFan10

And who, exactly might that be? If we brought Revis back, we'd have Revis-Milliner-Wilson as our top three guys. Who would have been riding the pine at the expense of Revis, McDougle? Let him stay healthy for an entire season first then I'll worry about finding a spot for him, that ain't happening this year anyway. The only thing that would have changed is we wouldn't have signed the journeyman Patterson.

I could care less about signing Revis beyond this year, I'm not advocating a long-term deal. And I wouldn't be advocating a short-term deal if we were up against the cap but we're not. Idzik was even exploring long-term deals for DRC and others, but struck out on all so it's not all about saving cap space either, or 'playing younger guys'.

Winning a title isn't really the goal this year....how about at least making the playoffs and making sure Rex keeps his job? If we go 6-10 and Rex gets fired because of having CFL corners going up against Rodgers, Brady and Peyton then you better hope there's no learning curve for the next coach or rebuilding just got delayed another couple years.

#40 NYJFan10, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014