Idzik spot on..sorry those who disagree

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Aug 11, 2014.

1. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

"I don't think immediate spending translates into winning, I think responsible spending translates into sustainable winning"..

i agree with this 100%, i don't know what else he was suppose to do with the CB position, IMO despite people going crazy on what they didn't do, you have to look at the options.

1.Re-signing Cro, yes, it would be nice to have him now, but anybody who watched him last year would know he was awful last year, maybe the medical staff didn't think he would be healthy again this year so well all have to wait to see his performance and judge after.

2. Sign Rodgers-Cromartie, everyone kills idzik for not getting this done. but he was prob the 4th best corner in a pretty over rated FA class, and IMO he is pretty over rated, last year was his only real good season since being drafted in 2008 and is on his 4th team for a reason, i don't think anyone would have been happy to be stuck with him if his play went back pre 2013.

3. Revis, if any choice made sense this did, but who really knows if he really wanted to come back and even so, what would have been the point in a 1 year prove it deal for him..it would have been the drama all over again next year and a 6 year deal for a 30 year old corner at 12+ is not how you build a team.. had to move on

4. Draft Dennard, now a lot of people wanted to draft him because CB is our #1 need. most corners don't come out the gate and play well right away. just look at other 1st round rookies in recent years, milliner for example. the best option was to pick a safe player in the secondary.

now, I'm disappointed that mcdougle is on IR for the year but even if he wasn't our starting 3 corners were going to be Milliner, Patterson, and Wilson anyway?

freak out if decker or one of our key d-line man go down. most winning teams pass on high priced free agency anyway.

2. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

You're not going to change anyone's mind. Us sensible Jets fans don't go into full blown panic mode becasue Dex McDougle got hurt. We know that Idzik has this team on the right track, and we'll just have to let time pass before other "fans" realize it.

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I also like what Rex said about not needing the best CB and not going into panic mode. Rex has so many schemes and defensive tricks up his sleeves he can adapt to anything .

hornblower, Jetaho and irishwhip03 like this.
  4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Good post. The incessant whining of some people over these injuries is blown way out of proportion. They are acting like Wilkerson and Decker went down. McDougle had potential but he was currently in a backup role. Milliner will be back by the beginning of the season. It could be way worse. In no way shape or form can Idzik predict an ACL tear like that. Nobody can. Whether you are called "injury prone" or not, ACL tears come out of nowhere and most of the time are unlucky. Milliner's injury might be annoying, but it gives us a real chance to evaluate the other talent on the roster. We knew already that Milliner was the #1. we knew that Wilson is in the slot. Now we're just learning that Allen might actually be a better corner than safety. Of course it's way too early to tell for sure, but I love seeing the other DBs get more snaps.

hornblower, Jetaho and Jetsruby like this.
  5. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned...they lost 1 starter (who wasn't even close to being their best player) for maybe a couple weeks.

hornblower and JETS1116 like this.
  6. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

It's definitely significant, but we'll have to see how bad Milliner's ankle injury is. Thankfully nothing was broken, but if he has a bad high ankle sprain (and he might, since he can't put any pressure on it) then he may even miss the first week or two of the season.

But after hearing what Rex said in his press conference, I'm very confident that he'll scheme around our weaknesses at corner.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  7. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Milliner got beat more times in training camp this year than Patterson. That's fact.

Milliner got beat early on practice Sunday. And he gave up a pass on the play he was injured (he injured he came down after failing to block the ball)

Milliner played better in the preseason game than Patterson. But overall Milliner hasn't had an outstanding camp. This is total over-reaction.

8. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

I compared AA's combine results with Richard Sherman's numbers to see if he has the speed and agility to play corner. Sherman's numbers are better but not significantly so. I'm not saying Allen can be Sherman but it seems the potential is there, a very encouraging sign. And if Rontez Miles can continue to impress the coaches we may end up with a new corner and a new SS as a result of the CB injuries. Might actually turn out to be a blessing.

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Hindisight is always 20/20. Of course if Idzik knew ahead of time that 3 of his top 4 corners would be hurt during camp he would have brought someone in. Besides, these douchebag reporters are acting like Milliner is out for the season. They don't even know what kind of sprain it is yet. Fucking chicken littles so eager to get clicks on their website.

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Just like players, either side calling boom or bust right now is lunacy.
    Especially w/a GM. You have to see if he fills voids, makes moves, manages the cap...every year and situation is different for them and you then base a "Grade" as a whole body of work.

I'll say this.. I like the draft, I like the youth but if he refused to stay "cheap" at positions and it costs us, then you know what..that'll be on him.
    It's the nature of his job..eos.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Have to say I disagree. CB was an obvious area of need and the position actually downgraded a little bit (Cro > Patterson) and he picked up a 3rd round pick who is noted by the OP and other people wasn't even going to be a starter anyway. You can't pin injuries on him but you can pin a lack of depth at the position on him and that's where he dropped the ball.

Furthermore, for all the Idzik fans here: What is the plan for the CB position next year? This isn't just a one year issue. Even assuming Milliner is capable of being our #1 guy who is the plan to be the #2 or #3 next year? Patterson isn't a long-term solution and likely isn't a #2 at the best of times. We can't plan on Dex going 2 years without playing football and then walk in and be a #2 guy. Wilson has shown he struggles outside and is best suited as a #3 guy. So our options are basically to hope that someone already on our depth chart rises up to the task (by no means a guarantee and we'd have to replace them on the depth chart anyway) or we're just going to have to go out and sign, trade for or draft another CB next year. So what's the difference? Wouldn't we have been better off to bring in a free agent guy this year when there was a lot of good CBs on the market and we had a huge amount of cap space? It's not like that happens all the time and also not like next year the prices are going to go down, if anything it will be more expensive next year to get a free agent CB.

I think it would have been awesome to lock up the #1 and #2 CB spots with Milliner and a free agent this year and we'd still have competition over the next few years for the #3 between guys like Wilson, Dex, Walls, Lankster, etc. We'd be set at that position for at least the next 3-4 years depending on the age and contract length of the free agent. It gives you stability and a veteran presence in our young secondary and frees up the use of future draft picks for other areas of need instead of having to draft another CB every year as we have a habit of doing.

I don't think he should be fired or that he's the worst GM in the league. I just think he is overlooking one of the most glaring areas of need on our team and that because of that we're going to lose games this year and we're likely just going to go out and sign a free agent next year and all these people lauding him for not spending money will be tripping over themselves to congratulate him for doing exactly the opposite of what they are tripping over themselves to congratulate him for not doing this season...but that's a seperate issue entirely.

legler82, NYJetsO12 and Big Blocker like this.
  12. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

your right corner was a huge need, but there were two corners IMO worth giving long term deals in FA, !. Aqib Talib and Vontae Davis, and even those two are head cases. everyone else was coming off of one good year and got over paid. i understand the need for this year was big but the jets have been down this road over paying for players becuase they want to compete this year. for the draft, like i said its hard for a rookie to come in and pay right out the gate. if dennard balls out and pryor stinks this year, who knows... and as far as next year..well have to wait to see what FA corners are available and one worth a long 5-6 year deal, because signing one for that long and cutting him after 2-3 is the reason why the jets were in cap trouble to begin with.

and you have to look at how the seahawks are built
    cheep fill in the gap type players on one year deals until the players they drafted were ready to fill in full time

13. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Well he did try your strategy it probably just has not played out as he thought it would. My guess is he expected Millner to be the number one guy, Patterson to play across from him and Wilson in the slot ( i.e the lineup from last weekend). Unfortunately we have caught a nasty case of the injury bug but guess what, guys get injured all the time. Colts lost their starting center. Imagine if we lost Brick ( did u see Iljana play?).... Every team has guys who are indispensable and hard to replace and to be honest we lost McDougle for the season who I wouldn't even put near the top of the list when I look at our team. If Patterson holds down the fort, Millner is diligent with his rehab, someone will just have to step up. Or we make a trade. Or we pickup someone at cuts.
    Cornerback wasn't a position of strength for us before the injuries and now it's weaker. Just need to mask our weaknesses through coaching and a pass rush. For all we know, DRC and Vontae Davis could suck or get hurt this season. It's too early to judge.

jetsclaps and nevbeats319 like this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I wish Kyle Wilson didn't suck so bad, he's been in this system longer than anybody and is physically gifted, but still can't beat these guys coming off the street. What a waste of a first rounder.

Royal Tee and Red Menace like this.
  15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Before camp started, imo the most popular scenario here involving Patterson would be that he would start and transition at some point to an up and comer, the most likely candidate being McDougle. McDougle was not drafted where he was with the expectation he would be the #2 Cb on Opening Day. The problem with that plan is not only did it depend on McDougle filling that expectation. It also ignored more or less that both Patterson and McDougle have significant injury histories.

Especially now, after seeing Patterson play poorly in the first pre-season game, and miss practice with injuries, the concerns about his injury history and his having bounced around the league indicate that excessive optimism about his role with the Jets was not warranted.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

More generally about Idzik, I see he is getting a lot of responses to his saying he has no regrets about his off season handling of the Cb position. Hm. In fairness to him I lay the lack of interest on getting Revis back solely on Woody, so there's that.

But more interesting I think is the next thing he said, which was

“The first order of business is seeing what our guys can do, and now that they have a stage to do it, let’s see how they react.”

At first when I read that, my response was no, the first order of business should have been trying to get a stronger roster at Cb earlier in the off season. But then I focused on his use of the word "seeing", which means he meant now, on a going forward basis, what should the Jets do, and I agree with him.

This does not mean, however, that he SHOULD not have regrets about the way they dealt with the situation before. But right now, going forward, that part of what he said is correct. See what the existing players can do before considering a trade or signing some camp cut. Without seeing who steps up and who does not, they can't even decide who will likely help the team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I still have no idea how people are trying to rationalize bringing back Revis other than for their own nostalgic purposes.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with anything you said, I'm just not very confident that Patterson will be able to hold the fort or that someone will step up. If they do then it's really not that big of an issue for this season. And if someone does step up then maybe it won't be much of an issue next season either. All I'm saying is that it was an identified area of major concern and he didn't do enough to address that concern and build depth.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Patterson has a great season or one of the guys on our roster makes that leap to the point where we don't need one of the big name free agent CBs this year or next year. Like I said: Just not 100% convinced that will be the case.

19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Ditto. How can anyone think bringing Revis back on a 1yr deal (because thats all he wanted) was a good idea.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is the kind of thinking that I (and luckily our GM) find irresponsible.

OK, Revis is back for one year... now it's 2015, do you think Revis is just gonna say "hey John, you know what, I know you want to extend Mo, I know you need to shore up other spots on the roster, why don't you just go ahead and give me a cap-friendly deal for the next three years?"

Wake up.

If we gave Revis a one year deal we would be sitting here next June talking about how a.) we stupidly paid Revis $10+ mil or b.) let Revis walk and have no one to back him up. Might as well nip the situation in the bud before it even happens and start looking for people that can be here long term and for half the price.