DirecTV Blackout (Preseason)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Gunslinger27, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27 Member

Does anyone know the rules regarding blackouts in the preseason? I was all set to watch the replay of the Jets-Colts game on DirecTV 639 (SNY) today, but it said it was blacked out. I can understand blacking out on game day...but a replay? In case it matters, I'm outside of the NY area (Houston, TX). Oh well, I guess I'll record the replay on 212 (NFLN) later tonight.

Thanks!

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

No clue, how are you able to get SNY in Texas? is it a regular station down there? Or do you pay for a sports package?

3. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Was there a preseason game on when you tried to watch the Jets replay?

It's in the rules that if ANY NFL game is on live, you can't watch on Game Rewind, so maybe it's the same for all replays. The thinking is that they want to encourage you to watch the live game, since that's what earns them ad revenue.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Screw Game rewind, such a disappointing service. I remember every monday night I would lay down and try to watch the replay of the Jets game and of course its telling me I cant watch it till after MNF ends which is around midnight here in NY....

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Game Rewind is an awesome service for people that understand it's benefits.

6. Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27 Member

I don't think there was a live game on...there was a replay on NFL Network at the same time (of a different game)...but your logic makes sense. :)

7. Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27 Member

I get SNY as part of the sports package...although the only time I ever watch it is for Jets post game lol.

8. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Same here, you'll never watch the Jets on SNY. Kansas here. If its not being carried on your locals, the only option is Sunday Ticket. Preseason games are the worst to watch, there's no package so you have to watch a replay on 212 NFLN. I think our last preseason game is live on NFLN tho.

9. Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27 Member

Thanks, joeuser...I have the Sunday Ticket...but you're right...the preseason sucks. I think I remember this happening last year. Still can't figure out why they make you watch the REPLAY on NFLN.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

There is a preseason package I believe.

11. Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27 Member

You're right! I see the NFL is offering it for $20...guess they want to squeeze every possible $$$ from us. :)

12. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

It's likely a regional blackout. It's crazy. Even if you pay extra for the sports package, games outside of your region get blacked out. I'm living in MA now. I paid for the DirecTV sports package to get YES & SNY, only to find out that all the Nets games were blacked out on YES, because it's not a local team. The only way to see a Nets game would be to pay for NBA League Pass. Similarly, I'd expect that the only way to see a Jets game, even a preseason one, would be via Sunday Ticket.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I bought the NFL preseason package last year for my Android. Got snuggled into my suite in Paris, fired up the droid, turned on NFL package ready to watch a Jet preseason game, and got this: 'Service Blocked outside of USA'.

Damn was I pissed.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Pathetic, the NFL shouldnt even both selling these packages with all these restrictions. Its ridicolous, for example NFL replay you cant watch all day Sunday, cant watch Monday Night, and cant watch Thursday night. So 4 nights a week you can use it, and honestly by Friday and Saturday the focus is on the next week so the last weeks games are really only worth watching on Monday and Tuesday.

15. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

IIRC, the preseason package is for tablets etc, its not from the satellite programming - or am I wrong?

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Modern day cable networks are so behind the technology. If I can listen to radio station in Japan any time I want to, then why the fuck in Houston can someone not be able to watch the Jets game? A classic case of the dangers of a monopoly in both the NFL and cable networks. No wonder people are looking for ways to cut the cord.

17. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Well written! $$$ rules all.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I've had the Sunday Ticket for the last 10 years but I recently cancelled it. They really didn't try hard to keep me as a customer either and that's fine by me. I get most of the Jets games out here in Central PA anyway when the Eagles, the Steelers or the Ravens aren't televised at the same time. I'm good with catching whatever games I miss on the NFL network the following week.

BTW, I'm done with game streaming as most of the links have toxic payloads along with the streaming programs. If someone can provide a clean site, it would be greatly appreciated.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They just refunded my money for NFL Preseason Live but left my subscription active, so I still get the remainder of preseason free. Color me surprised.

20. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

We haven't paid for NFL Sunday Ticket Max since... Well since we were forced to drop NY & LA locals from our package... Last year not only didn't we pay for NFL ST Max but we actually came out a couple hundred ahead in discounts... :)