HBO's The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Uniform Bomber, Jul 2, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

All caught up.

What a bizarre show.

_

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

My initial reaction was like yours, in that, I thought Matt will turn bad-ish -- he'll do some things that contradict his beliefs and religious teachings, in an attempt at revenge on the GR.

Byz raised an interesting scenario, how he might try to take over the GR. The only issue I see with that is he'd have to take a vow of silence, and he's a preacher. It just doesn't fit his character, and I don't know if the show would do that, would suddenly remove all spoken dialogue from him. I suppose if he was in charge, he could veto the vow of silence, but again, I don't see it. Also, would the GR even embrace him? Maybe he'd have to Frank Underwood his way to the top.

I just feel that the story could be very juicy of he's butting heads with the GR, especially with what he might now be driven to do.

#62 The Uniform Bomber, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  3. The Uniform Bomber

On the other hand (to counter my own point about Matt leading the GR), in the upcoming scenes, it shows the woman GR leader talking to Kevin, trying to recruit him or something. So, she definitely speaks and has spoken, albeit very limitedly. Still, it's not a trait I see fitting Matt.

Also, if those previews are further down the road, then it appears the woman is still their leader, at least for this season.

4. JStokes

That was brutal. There was no reason for him to tell her that, other than him wanting to cause her extreme pain--especially since he said he'd never "publish" that story. He saved that specifically for her.

GREAT scene. I originally thought he was dead (no injury to his head) and what looked to be an open casket at the front of the church.

_

5. The Uniform Bomber

Yeah I'm still wondering why he chose to tell her that. Like, why would he want to cause his sister extreme pain in that moment. Maybe he reverted to his childish ways (several allusions to him as a boy, during the episode) after she denied him the money and questioned God. It was like his way of getting back at her for that, then and there. Maybe.

I wasn't sure if he was dead or in a state of limbo or what. Walking through church, the audio and visual distortions were awesome; it reminded me of The Mars Volta. Very uncomfortable feeling. And I was pleased that he didn't die. The ensuing manipulation of time (us viewers thinking it was still that day and he had time to reach the bank, when it was actually 3 days later) was nicely done.

6. JStokes

Showing the car accident from the very first scene was a nice touch.

_

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The episode was gripping, I just think it makes no sense and brings little to moving the story along.

But it helps us know that guy who was in the episode.

Also, what is the deal with the black dude who has a thing for asian teens?

8. JStokes

Who doesn't?

Wait, whut?

_

9. The Uniform Bomber

Haha. The black guy, Wayne, is another leader of another group (?cult). We're not sure yet if he's a legit spiritual guy with supernatural abilities, or if he's just greasy.

I expect to return to that storyline next episode.

10. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Needs more Asian slave girls!

11. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I think it moves the story along in that we are being introduced to another character, and starting to see where there are some potential conflicts between groups/people. If the series is going to get some sort of story established besides grief/cultural changes it's going to be in these conflicts.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The scenario I raised may just have been hope for something interesting, I don't put much credence into it myself, in retrospect.

Maybe just hope that something will escalate, because this show is too fucking slow to develop. I didn't see the preview of upcoming episodes to get excited about, shut it off at the end.

If the pace doesn't pick up soon, I can't take this show. It's like watching a TV show dream sequence for weeks, just that ethereal sleepwalking grey-filtered trudge with some quirk thrown in to make you remember that you're watching a dream.

Except the dream sequences in this show seem more real than the reality.

I may just wait until the end of the season and marathon it, because I haven't seen much to make me feel like waiting eagerly for the next week's episode.

13. JStokes

Who doesn't?

Wait, whut?

_

14. JStokes

One other nuanced scene I thought about last night as I was lamenting watching The Strain.

So the Chief is starting to question his sanity, is he dreaming or imagining things?

Loved how he went back to the commisary and opened up the back of the toaster to prove to himself that he had, in fact, put a bagel in it.

Perfect.

_

15. The Uniform Bomber

I don't rule out that scenario with Matt--just don't see it happening. In the end, I really don't care about right or wrong predictions. I just enjoy hearing people's thoughts about stuff; in this case, your scenario is one I hadn't considered, so I found it interesting to discuss. I still think Matt having beef with the GR leader has potential. If this is this case, hopefully it doesn't take that long to develop and escalate.

It's a little easier for me to watch each week because one of my small groups of friends live in close proximity, and they watch the show, so we kinda push each other to watch it on Sundays by getting together to watch it as well as discuss it during the week. But I hear what you're saying. Some shows are much better for me if I marathon them. One example, I randomly marathonned Sons of Anarchy on NetFlix, and now I'm into it, waiting for the final season; I'm not sure I would have stuck with it, had I begun it when I would have had to watch/wait weekly.

I like the way House of Cards does it, how they release an entire season at once. I wish more shows could somehow do that.

16. The Uniform Bomber

Because he's questioning his sanity, I think it's also nebulous to us what's real, imagined, or dreamed. I think Vanilla Sky does something similar, although there was a lot more to it -- just the idea of obscuring conscious reality.

I agree that the bagel mystery was done well. I forget who, but, earlier in this thread, someone did a good job of explaining that writing technique involving the bagel.

Blurring reality is annoying for some people, but I like the way this show has done it so far.

17. JStokes

Yeah, I love it.

Is the guy shooting dogs real or imagined? Was the truck real? "Hey Chief, we found the truck--in your driveway."

Was the guy really standing in his doorway offering the Chief a beer? He must be, right? Because his daughter took the beer from him. Did she really?

_

18. JStokes

I marathoned Breaking Bad up just before the final season. It was torture having to wait a week for the next episode when theretofore I could just queue up the next episode.

Kind of did the same thing with GOT--although I didn't watch some of the earlier stuff. I need to go back and do that.

_

19. The Uniform Bomber

Not sure about that either. See post #35 for thoughts on that.

20. The Uniform Bomber

Definitely watch whatever you missed in the earlier GoT episodes.

I'm so into that show that, at this point, I'm pissed at myself for not just reading the books in the first place. Now, I'm thinking it's too late to read the books, and I want to know so much more history. It's frustrating.