HBO's The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Uniform Bomber, Jul 2, 2014.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Ended up watching the last episode last night and thought it was pretty good, not amazing but definitely worth watching. It worked because now I'm interested in what happened to make the people disappear and just how the world has changed in that three year period. I think the comparison to TWD is fair because it appears that much like TWD this show doesn't appear to necessarily be about the event and figuring out why/how it happened but the major event is the backdrop to tell the character based story of how those people were impacted by the event and hold up an image of what the world could be like if something like this happened and how people might respond.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I should clarify something I said in a previous post -- I, too, am still interested - at this point - in what caused the disappearances; I'd like to know why 100 million people suddenly vanished. I'd like to know why there was no surveillance footage anywhere that captured someone disappearing (maybe there was and the show hasn't shown us yet). I'd like to know if it's some sort of futuristic population-control.

Having said that, I am open to the show reaching a plane in which I no longer care about the cause. Obviously, because the series is so new, I'm curious about the cause. But if the show is written and directed skillfully, then I can move away from the cause and embrace it for its bigger concepts.

deerow84 likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I watched this earlier. Not bad in terms of plot building and character development, I'll keep watching.

I thought that Wayne guy was going to be some kind of savant shaman type until the scene later on where he's talking to the chief's son. This wasn't an extremely intriguing first episode, hopefully the pace picks up a little bit moving forward.

4. The Uniform Bomber

There's definitely a lot going on. I believe the chain-smoking cult in white is called The Remnant. And there was a sign in one of their houses that said: WE DON'T SMOKE FOR OUR ENJOYMENT. WE SMOKE TO PROCLAIM OUR FAITH. No idea what that means yet, but it's definitely bizarre. Also, weird how the members take a vow of silence and stalk people (in a physically harmless way) to recruit them. Maybe the most mysterious thing about them is that no one knows where they all came from. According to the cop, there was a small amount a year ago, and now there's more than 100. And they bought up a cul-de-sac in Mapleton.

Wayne is interesting because we're being led to believe that he has some sort of ability to "unburden" people. We don't know what Wayne does, but we know it's expensive, based on what the congressman paid for Wayne's services. The skeptic in me says that he could be a charlatan, and the people who seek his help are desperate for something, so they start to believe in things that they probably wouldn't have believed in, had the event not occurred. The formation of these small factions of cults is probably due to peoples' fear of the event. I can definitely envision humans reacting like this in real life. This storyline is definitely mysterious, especially as it involves the cop's son.

I also would like to know what the cop was doing during the event. When he's asked about it by the woman at the bar, the quick flashback shows him banging some chick --- presumably cheating on his wife. I presume he was cheating on his wife because his answer to the woman at the bar was that he was cleaning out a gutter at his house. Clearly, a lie. So, why would he lie? Probably because he was cheating. So, I'm guessing there was some sort of friction between he and Laurie, before she joined the Remnant. Still, I want to know a bunch more.

The dogs and animal stuff is fucking wack. Kind of hard to watch at moments, but that's a good thing because it's eliciting a reaction.

5. The Uniform Bomber

Nice, bud, glad you watched it. I'm hoping to be able to discuss this show with some people other than those immediately around me.

6. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

This, I enjoyed. Much like that detective one with Woody & that other guy. HBO has some of the best stuff on TeeVee. Leftovers is weird & interesting - have no idea where its going. I'm looking forward to Sunday & it ain't even football season!
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The writing of this show feels similar to John from Cincinnati. John from Cincinnati was mysterious for the whole duration of it's only season, never gave any answers, and ultimately was cancelled.

I know only the 2nd episode just aired but I feel like there are too many loose ends already.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I dont get it yet...Sounds like the Chief is imagining that bald guy killing dogs...Just like his dad sees someone

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

chief's daughter took beer from bald guy. So bald guy is not solely seen.

10. abyzmul

It's keeping my interest, but damn the pace of this show is slow. The opening intro seems like it's telling you what happened to the people, though.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Mmm...Girl could have taken it from her Dad's hands...She just asked who that was. I dont know though...This is Lindelof...He does stupid stuff like that, so it is possible

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Lol I didn't realize it either until I read your post above

13. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Its weird... at least the bagel issue got resolved - if nothing else...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The bagel and the bald guy were gamesmanship writing moves.

They set you up to believe there is paranormal shit going on, consequently you believe EVERYTHING has a paranormal explanation, then they reveal that some things don't.

All of this throws you off in your expectations, then you don't know what to think anymore. Unfortunately, this does cause some to lose interest.

15. The Uniform Bomber

Jeez, the pace of this show is molasses. The second episode wasn't particularly compelling, there wasn't any music that stood out, and the story is kind of creeping along.

However, I didn't expect Wayne's ranch to get raided, let alone so soon. That was pretty brutal, the way the S.W.A.T. guys were shooting unarmed members. I didn't find myself feeling too bad for those Wayne disciples; nevertheless, it was brutal and some of them probably didn't deserve to die. Regarding Wayne himself, I kind of expected him to be a fraud. Maybe he really does have some sort of extrasensory ability or whatever, but the guy has followers and likes to bang young (?teen), Asian girls. So, that sounds like a greasy cult leader to me. And maybe I'm idiot, because, despite all that, I still wonder if there's something "special" about the girl, Christine, who he wants protected. Or maybe he just wants her protected so he can bang her in some ritualistic way because he's a sick fuck. I'm not sure. Curious to hear others' opinions about this.

At one point during the episode, I convinced myself that the bald guy is Kevin's version of Tyler Durden (Fight Club). When the bald guy arrives at Kevin's front door, I thought it was odd that he couldn't get the guy's name. He asked, but the guy wouldn't provide it because Kevin said, "I'm not your friend." Then, Kevin's daughter, Jill, grabbed the beer from the guy (her friend walked right past him without acknowledging him) and after he left, Jill asked her dad, "Who was that?" So, it can't be a figment of his imagination or his alter ego, can it? From a technical standpoint, I suppose the writer can circumvent this by having Kevin exist as both guys: the daughter actually grabbed the six-pack out of Kevin's hand, and then Kevin only imagines her asking, "who was that?" It's a stretch, but I'm just saying that that's a possibility. Having said all of that, by the end of the episode, I was unconvinced that the bald guy is his alter ego. The therapist, and then Kevin actually finding the bagel (thank goodness that got resolved) -- I'm leaning towards the bald guy being a real guy -- just a mysterious, real guy; mayhaps some sort of survivalist, rebel guy. But, I am leaving open the other possibility, which is that he might only exist in Kevin's head.

The plot that piqued my interest in this second episode is the one that involves Nora Durst (the woman who spoke at the remembrance day). Anybody have any ideas about why she intentionally, yet surreptitiously, knocked the mug off the table in the coffee shop? I have a very basic theory, but it's only based on two measly episodes, so it's probably inaccurate. Also, is anyone else suspicious of the agency that she works for--the benefits for the departed? I'm wondering if she's representing a counterfeit agency, and she's really on her own personal crusade to figure out what happened. So, maybe she goes around asking those questions to gather information as she attempts to find some answers, specifically what happened to her husband and kids. Hmm, I don't know.

16. The Uniform Bomber

Such a good point. I think that that's a pretty good job of fucking with the audience's minds.

17. The Uniform Bomber

I never saw Lost, but I was watching this second episode with my friend, who has seen lost.

When Kevin couldn't find the bagel, my friend said that the bagel probably slipped into a time portal haha.

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Watching the second episode tonight... Leaving this thread now so you all don't spoil it..

Peace.

19. abyzmul

I think you're wrong about Wayne. The comment from the federal agents about him "charging his batteries" and also the other couple of scenes where Wayne talks about/interacts with her totally reeked of red herring to me

My theory is that he's probably not banging any of the young Asian girls, and was probably trying to screen a bunch of the young Asian girls to find the one who fulfill some prophecy he's privy to - that's the reason for that entire stable of girls.

Before this episode, I thought he was just a fraud, now I'm convinced they just want us to think that so they can throw this plot twist in there.

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Wait... There's Asian girls... Now I'm interested