Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Nope blocker is right, about everything. Anyone that has the slightest hope for Geno is obviously a homer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJF and The 1985er like this.
  2. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I think his ypa went down as a result of throwing safer passes. Why did his QBR go up towards the end of the season and rank among the highest in the NFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Just stop dude. I'll break it down for you. Statement: A player may be replaced because he does not improve over his previous year. Logical assumption: That player did not play well at all. Reason: If the player played well the previous year, even if he did not improve, by default he would play well again the following year. You don't replace players that play well. Therefore, the player must have played badly.

4. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Geno Smith started to become a bit of a game manager after a while, he looked comfortable enough to find an open man in this offense most of the time even if they didn't always make a grab (looking at YOU holmes) either because he knew the plays he was calling enough to know where a designed open man is coming from or he just expected certain players to get open and locked on to an easy to find target he was comfortable with (maybe a combo? its hard to tell)

point is, he looked like an average starter who could competently complete passes within his own offense and make decent decisions under pressure, which shows he can at least be an effective backup for the next 3 years at WORSE.

wether or not he can find it in him to quicken his own personal pace, continue to stymie his number of picks by placing the ball where no defender can get to it, find a way to throw his man open, find a faster release or increase the range of his field vision (which doesn't leap off the screen as something he has wide amount of) all on a consistent basis is the question.

Call me crazy but despite all that I have confidence that he can form a good amount of chemistry with his receivers and understand enough of this offense to get the job done to... adequate degrees at LEAST. I believe the strength of this offense will come from MM giving his playmakers (johnson, Decker, ivory, Amaro and others ) the chance show their talent through his own design with Smith being a cog that can make that happen more often than not.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

My money is on Geno Smith building on his progress at the end of last year and having a tremendous preseason. Barring an injury, I believe he will start.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well if they are or Woody does, what are they thinking? I think the Jets might be seriously listening to what a frustrated
    fan base sounds like or else they divorce themselves from reality completely. It could be that factions within the Jets organization mirror a lot of the feeling expressed by media and groups of fans and are gaining momentum pushing for change.

7. MaximusD163

I'll bet you just about anything they don't, their time is far too precious. What I can guarantee you is that there are Jets quality control staffers who at least scan the board along with other Jets fan sites.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Another unfair statement. I have never said there is no hope for Smith's improvement. Not even close. I think it less than likely he will improve enough to be an average NFL Qb.

Is the choice one only between Smith idolatry and saying there is no hope whatsoever? Find a quote where i said there's no hope.

9. Big Blocker

You are the one who should give up. You know quite well I distinguished between your scenario of Vick relieving Smith at some point during the season to one where he is an option to instead be the starter (as most recognize). In short Vick was not signed because Smith might fall on his face down the road. He was signed because SMith sucked last season and Vick could be the better answer well before your down the road scenario.

Are you incapable of apologizing?

10. MaximusD163

I said nothing about Vick relieving Smith at some point during the season, that was an assumption you made. I never said Vick was not an option to be starter. The reasons I gave for Vick being brought in are all relevant in training camp. Seriously man, you're so desperate to prove me wrong about something I never said that you're making this crap up.

11. Big Blocker

"4. Can play if Geno's development proves to be as bad or worse than his rookie year. "

You are right, it was not specifically about replacement in the regular season. But it still is a going forward concern, and if Vick outplays Smith even if Smith improves soemwhat, Vick should and likely will start.

Your post was forward oriented. My point was that the reasons for Vick coming here are that Smith was awful last year and Vick is likely the better Qb right now. I didn't put words in your mouth. You are being supersensitive and pretending you had a reason to cal me douche.

Still waiting for the apology.

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

girls... girls... you're both pretty... :rolleyes:

13. MaximusD163

1. Considering training camp hasn't started and won't for over two months from now I think the fact that my post was "forward oriented" is appropriate.

2. I referenced Geno's bad play in 2013, you said I did not. The coaching staff wants Geno to win the job, and I said the fact that his poor play took place in his rookie year, made it relatively excusable. I said they brought in Vick as competition to win the starting job. I said Geno is more likely to win.

So again, what makes "Perhaps you did not watch a Jet game last year" a reasonable thing to say? The fact that you can't just say "either I misread your post" or "I misunderstood what you meant" indicates yes, you're being a douche.

14. Big Blocker

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I said that about watching the games because you called me a douche.

15. MaximusD163

Arguing for the sake of arguing? Look who's talking lol. You're only saying that because you were wrong in your initial reply to my post, and you've argued to this point and have nothing left to say.

Didn't you just say like a page ago that you don't care if people call you names?

16. Big Blocker

And I didn't misread what you said. I focused on the going forward nature of your item, the sense in which the Vick signing was about insurance if Smith does not improve (without saying how much).

It is a combination of the historical record of poor play and the likelihood that Vick is and will be for the coming season the better player. That's why Vick was signed, even if Smith improves somewhat.

How is that misreading your post?

17. Big Blocker

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If the Dolphins beat the Jets in week 17. They make the playoffs. End of discussion. However the Jets beat them and in the process ended their season. And Geno had a decent game against a team that had something to play for.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He improved AND he was solid.

His ypa going down sucks no excuses from me on that one.

20. MaximusD163

Funny how short your memory is.