What is a Jet "homer" exactly?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 14, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, I did say for the most part, so there's that. And your bolded part is unfair. You know quite well I have posted positive things and outlooks about the Jets, which put me in disagreement with darksiders, and I do not call darksiders homers, obviously.

Ftr my argument was with your assertion taht no Cb should be taken in the first round. I have consistently said this off season that Safety should be looked at as the third area of need, after Cb and Wr. In fact in round one I came around to seeing wideout as not even ahead of safety, because the way the draft played out there were still plenty of wideouts left after 18. (What the Jets did and did not do after 18 is another story.) And that I would not say Dennard was the better choice over Pryor, both being ways to upgrade the secondary. The argument was more with your assertion that the Jets were already just fine with the Cb's on the roster, and that a lower round pick would be fine to add. In context, I did find that position homeristic, since it overvalued the cb's already on the roster.

And interestingly the Jets used their THIRD round pick at Cb, which counters your previous position. In other words if they thought they were set at Cb with the existing roster, they would not have gone Cb in the third round, which as I pointed out to you before is NOT a lower round pick. Yes, I still have doubts that McDougle will develop into a solid starter, but for now I am done criticizing Walls, since I am left to hoping he works out and becomes the solid Cb starter the Jets need. Or that someone does.

2. Big Blocker

Gee, I never thought much about your overall posture here, other than that you are usually wrong. I haven't really gone beyond that assessment. Why, do you think you are a homer?

Ftr and for future usage, identifying part of a post as homeristic does not make the poster so described an across the board homer, and I do not think it does make one such.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Can you give an example of proof that I am "usually wrong?"

4. Big Blocker

Anytime you have disagreed with me you have been wrong.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

A homer, to me, who has an overly optimistic view without backing for it except "why not". They usually expect the best case scenario for every signing and move and usually won't acknowledge that there was a mistake or series of mistakes made. If they acknowledge the mistakes, they act like it is not important and has no bearing on the Jets. The tend to expect every player to improve and every draft pick to make an impact.

To sum it up, they constantly defend the Jets coaches, players, owners, and FO even if a mistake was made. There is misplaced optimism and hope that things will pan out. They ignore or place less weight on the poor stuff and heavily weight and focus only on the good stuff.

The above is homer is when homer is used as a criticism.

There are also homers who have an optimistic view that is more in a wait and see. They less quick to criticize, but they don't turn around and praise immediately like the above homer. They take a more patient approach and more wait and see approach. They don't immediately think something that happened is a negative but also don't think it's immediately a positive. They use logical reasoning to back up their optimistic views, but they don't go overtop on the optimism.

This homer is a just an optimistic and patient fan.

In genreal I only think people go full "homer" (as a criticism) at times and I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who is consistently like that.

6. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

OP - I think the hater question was just answered.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

There's one critical difference that you're not taking into account. You have to take my comment that a "player sucks" on an individual case basis.

Perfect example: I said Vernon Gholston sucked early on and it was clear that he was a major bust and in way over his head. In this instance I was not oversimplifying what he does for the team "strategically" because he was just plain hurting the team when on the field.

You sound like a slight bit of a homer when you say that I am "dramatically oversimplifying what he does for the team strategically" because in certain cases like Gholston, that player only hurts the team when he's on the field and there's no benefit to the Jets by having that player in the game when he's easily replaceable due to his lack of performance.

Yes in some cases you can say that a blanket statement like a "player sucks" is too much of a simplification. Yet in other cases, like VG, I can honestly say he sucked and he has no intrinsic or strategic value to the Jets based on his sucky play.

So to say I'm dramatically oversimplifying it could also imply that you think every player on the Jets has some sort of value to the team which implies a slight bit of homerism.

It works both ways. We are only fans and not coaches but I think if a coach was a homer to his players that it would be a lot more damaging to the team then if the coach was a realist and was just brutally critical of a given player's ability.

There's no team in any pro sport that has all guys who perform and none that suck. That's just not reality. I think of myself as a realist.

8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I understand you're using sarcasm here, but the only reason you're using sarcasm is because you can't actually give an example of how I'm "usually wrong"

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You posted 1 positive thing about the Jets, I remember because I asked you.

I still stand by my comment that the Jets did not need a CB in round 1, they drafted a safety that will only help much more than drafting another CB early. It has been mentioned that Pryor hits just as hard as any safety in the past 10 or so years - he will have more of an impact on the game then Dennard. I will say Pryor is a better choice. He has more ways to put his fingerprints on the game. I think you are overvaluing the CB position because you were spoiled to see Revis and Cro pair up for a few seasons.

I believe the Jets will be fine with Walls as the #2 CB to start the season (like I said before the draft). It is good the Jets created depth and competition in-case of an injury or poor performance. I never had a problem with CB being selected in rd 3, a lot of CBs were going earlier then expected like Walt Aikens who went to the Dolphins. I already addressed the fact that the 3rd round is not a lower round pick and I corrected myself on that (I should have said mid-round). That doesn't mean my statement was incorrect, you believed CB was all above the #1 position the Jets needed to address and I disagreed - because of that you called me a homer.

10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Homerisms;
    Our second round pick was a project.

It takes a QB 2 years... 3 years... 4 years to develop.

We were projected at 3 wins.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

A homer is anybody who disagrees with the pessimistic viewpoint on things.. well at least according to the pessimists. Ask them, they are realists and anybody who has positive hopes for the team is automatically a homer that blindly trusts the front office and doesn't care about facts. Homer is pretty much just an insult these days, but the label isn't based on reality at all.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So basically what I've gathered is that calling someone a homer is short for "I don't have anything to support my case so I'll just insult you instead".

FJF likes this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yup.

Always has been, always will be. There is no such thing as a" homer". There are fans who are optimistic and there are fans who are pessimistic. A homer is a nickname for a homerun in baseball, that is all.

14. Big Blocker

You're right. I give up. You're always right. Whenever I have disagreed with you, I regretted it. Hours later, there's me banging my head against the wall, saying "Why couldn't you just be more like Maximus, or at least agree with him all the time?"

But then I am stubborn and stupid. I know, a bad combination. Well, we can't all be right all the time like you.

15. Big Blocker

You see our disagreement was not, as you earlier said, that I was not concerned about safety in the draft. It is that you think the team is fine with Walls. And you previously DID say a LOWER round pick was where the Jets should go Cb, obviously because you think so highly of Walls. A third round pick is not a lower round pick, and so you have in effect changed your position, as you acknowledge. Fine, if you meant to say mid round instead of lower round.

Once again for the record I am done talking about Walls. I said waht I had to say, and at this point I hope he works out as the starting Cb, assuming no one else takes it instead.

And I called you a homer partly because you overvalued the then current roster before the draft, and partly because you are a homer. You don't really deny it, do you?

16. Big Blocker

Of course that's what a homer like you would say.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I find it funny that everyone here has the same problem with the same person and the only guy that doesn't see it is that person...

This is what the internet is for folks: enjoyment at others' expense.

18. Big Blocker

No, a homer loosely defined is someone who is always optimistic and often to an excessive degree, without basis. Someone who replaces a balanced and nuanced assessment with hope and hope alone, and describes their hope as an assessment.

Btw, some here have called you a homer. I hope this does not upset you. Why should it since you believe there is no such thing?

Like yesterday the OP could have called me the Easter Bunny instead of all the mean things he called me instead. If he'd called me the Easter Bunny, I would have laughed instead of crying my eyes out from the names he called me. They're still all bloodshot a day later.

19. Big Blocker

"EVERYONE"

Listen, Dbag, I have nearly 10,000 posts here. I have had hundreds and hundreds of discussions with other posters about the Jets. Your efforts to get others to combine against me will fail, because you are a loser whose agenda is painfully obvious, ill conceived, and I think shows a basic insecurity in facing a point of view you disagree with and cannot muster the ability to counter.

So shove it up your cakehole.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit if I'm called a homer lol by all means, if that's how you define it then call me one all you like. I'd rather be considered a homer than a "darksider".

Always optimistic huh? Seems like that is someone who is labeled as being optimistic. I'm optimistic in a lot of things I do in life. In fact, to your definition, I am excessively happy about a number of personal things. Does that make me a homer also? For my personal life? It can't only work in certain situations you see fit. Homer is a bullshit term for someone that you can't reason with because you think differently. Instead of calling someone overly optimistic, people result to a bullshit word called a homer.