We're going to regret not taking a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, May 10, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm calling BS on your bolded statement. It is NOT a fact. In fact, Saunders doesn't have a fraction of the talent or production that Cooks has.

tomdeb and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. JetsofNJ

JetsofNJ Member

An interesting draft to look back on is the 2004 Draft. This draft had a whole bunch of WRs that scouts and fans (especially those on this board.... remember the Reggie Williams craze?) were going gaga over all March/April. 7 WRs were drafted in the 1st round and 5 were picked in the top 15. 32 Wrs were picked in the 7 rounds demonstrating a "deep" WR class.

Here are the 7 WRs picked in the first round:
    • Fitzgerald
    • Roy Williams
    • Reggie Williams
    • Lee Evans
    • Michael Clayton
    • Michael Jenkins
    • Rashaun Woods
    Here are two of the WR that went undrafted: Wes Welker and Malcolm Floyd. The NYJ selected Cotchery at the end of the 4th and he was one of the better WR picked, considering he is still in the league.

Granted the draft is a crapshoot and no-one ever knows which player will pan out, the WR position is extremely difficult to pin down- even in a class were the WR talent is very deep. You never really can be sure about a particular WR panning out and if Idz feels more confident picking a TE than a WR in rd. 2, i am OK with it.

BL: WR is a tough position to pin down even in a deep draft so have some faith in the FO.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes, we missed the boat on blue chip wide receivers unless all these "unknowns" are assigned a different value by the scouting department

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Odd how al toon 88 decided not to respond to this post.

5. Cooks is a superior prospect no doubt.I'm just suggesting they are similsr style players.Cooks has superior top end speed & had better production in college.But Saunders is just as elusive & just as tough...I believe long term he can play on the outside the same way Cooks can.

Go ahead & call me BS...Im not here to be popular.

soonerJet likes this.
  6. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I think we will be just fine at WR. We may have not taken any of the first round big names, but we still brought in a lot of solid WRs with skill and plenty of potential (IMO) for what is going to be a great competition this coming camp, preseason, etc... There is no promise that the first round WRs will pan out, and there is no promise that the WRs drafted later on will not. Bottom line is that we are much better at the WR position than we were last year (again, IMO). I trust that our FO and coaches have a good plan to supply Geno with the potential weapons he needs in order to succeed.

Br4d and hornblower like this.
  7. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

We drafted Saunders, Shaq Evans, and Enunwa. 3-4th round talents. Surely at least one should pan out, no?

Br4d and boozer32 like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Sorry I see a guy moving the chains and also a person who in MM system would help Geno out by getting open in a soft spot in the defense. That was a major problem last year that Geno had no targets to unload quickly and took too many sacks. So now he has Decker, Amaro, Kerley, Goodson (if he stays) Nelson all in the pattern.

9. richieC

richieC Active Member

I would have loved Cooks or Mathews, but am very happy getting a future star safety.

Really like the fact that Idzik didn't trade up.... used all his picks.
    This is 2 years in a row..... staying put and just making our picks.
    After soooo many years of trading up,, liking this approach to the draft.

Idzik has a plan. Slowly and methodically he is building his vision of the team.
    Patience.
    Let's see where this ride goes.

Br4d likes this.
  10. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

You throw in a 2015 3rd and the deal is done. Period. It's not complicated. Whether YOU personally wanted to make the trade is irrelevant. I'm just stating that it's obviously possible to obtain a 2nd round pick without trading your own 2nd rounder.

I totally respect everyone's disagreement. I just think this draft would have been upgraded with Amaro (who I really like) and Lee. You get two guys in the 2nd who could have been first rounders and it's a good night. I'd be willing to part with a return man who doesn't even weigh 170 and some other prospects for that.

11. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Who's to say Lee becomes better than the guys we drafted later on?

Personally, in a deep WR class, I'm glad we got Pryor and Amaro, then drafted 3 WR's later on. Likely speaking, you weren't getting a Pryor or Amaro type talent in the later rounds, but you could still hit on a WR.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I agree with all of that. At the time Lee was sliding I thought it was an interesting idea but ultimately knowing that we'd be able to grab Amaro at 49 I don't think it would've been better at all. Ultimately my gut was saying it wasn't worth it though tempting at the time but the results certainly confirmed it. However I think a move should've been made after 49 to grab the Jets preference of late 2nd WR whether that would've been Adams or Landry or Lattimer or Robinson. It seems impossible to argue that none of those 4 names would've been acceptable solutions to be brought in and help the team. My preference would've been Landry because he went last meaning cheapest trade up and he seems like one of the safest picks in the draft to be no worse than a very solid starter though the ceiling is probably limited.

Hate to bring up the Warford guard boondoggle from last year but this has a very similar feel to it. Idzik had the ammunition to grab a nice starting prospect for a very reasonable price and instead chose not to go for it and instead throw two or in last year's case three successive picks at the same needed position. Basically hoping that he could throw enough shit at the wall to have something stick rather than pay a small markup for the obvious answer that's staring you right in the face. I don't think this year is nearly as extreme of an example because a very solid #2 was added in FA meanwhile a good slot is already on the roster and a dynamic hybrid type TE was just added in the 2nd, so unless one of those late 2nd prospects turn into a true #1 WR you haven't cost yourself as much long term since they may turn into solid players without truly answering the long term needed role on the roster. Last year any starting guard was a desperate need and Warford was it meanwhile he decided to add three backups at best and throw one of them to the wolves in a starting role which hurt the team all year and will likely hurt the team again this year. Then Warford turned into what looks like a perennial pro bowler to top it off, hopefully that doesn't become the case with one of those 4 guys or else that decision will start to really hurt the roster again.

Another factor is that Idzik went to CB with the next selection and then two straight WRs in the 4th rather than last year where he went 3 straight OL picks as soon as Warford came off the board. The crux of Idzik's strategy in the mid rounds of this draft will likely be how McDougle pans out. If he's a true solid starting CB within a couple years you can't really criticize anything about it no matter how good Landry or Adams or Lattimer or Robinson become. But if it turns out he's a reach that never becomes a difference maker then you have to start questioning the decision making to sit around waiting for a player that most people assumed wouldn't be touched for another three rounds while potential starting WR after starting WR came off the board well within striking range. That would also signal a negative trend starting to emerge when you factor in last year's mid rounds, so it will be crucial to track McDougle's development along with the 4th round WRs compared to the late 2nd round WRs that went to other teams.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

After the 49 was exercised the Jets had 80, 104, 115, 154, 195 and 233 available to deal. The WR's left in tier 2 at that point were Davante Adams (53), Latimer Cody (56), Allen Robinson (61) and Jarvis Landry (63). To move up to the 63 for Landry would have cost the Jets the 80 and the 104, assuming the team trading down was willing to take 1 for 1 value on the swap. Given that that team took Landry the odds are pretty good they wouldn't have been. So you're talking trading up to the 62 for the pick, which would have necessitated throwing in the 195 in return for a much lower 7th round pick.

This is to get Jarvis Landry, who projects as a good possession receiver in the NFL not a speedy X, which is what the Jets were looking for. To get somebody approaching a speedy X they'd have had to take Davante Adams, who is not all that speedy but he's a good bit faster than Landry. To get to Adams they probably have to acquire the 52 pick and that wipes out the non-compensatory picks left in the draft. It takes the 80, 104, 115, 154 and 195 to get from 80 to 52.

You're talking a Mike Tannenbaum draft at that point. The Jets wind up with the 3 guys they've taken by the 52 pick plus the 137 the 3 6th's at the end of the 6th round and their 7th round pick. The trade in terms of actual players taken is Davante Adams for Dexter McDougle, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Jeremiah George and Brandon Dixon.

How can that possibly be a good trade for a depth starved team like the Jets? How can it be a good trade for anybody?

That's 5 lottery shots at a good player, all of whom could have real value on special teams for one guy that we don't even know is going to be good. He's not even a fast guy, just another stud receiver coming out of a spread with great numbers.

The thing about the draft is that there are no guarantees. Given the nature of the NFL why would you ever give up 5 players of varying degrees of ability for 1 guy who is clearly not a tier 1 prospect? Would it even make sense to give 5 guys up for a tier 1 prospect in most cases?

Could you feasibly trade your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th round picks for a mid 1st rounder? It just doesn't sound like the kind of deal that could possibly help a team unless they have 45 roster slots locked down with above replacement value players and they're just looking for that one piece to the puzzle.

#153 Br4d, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh! There is far from a guarantee of that.

15. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

That's 7 guys out of 30 years of drafts. You can look up the % on that one buddy

16. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

You have a point. I'm simply a pissed off Jets fan tired of seeing this team rank bottom 20 every year in offense and drafting late round guys obviously hasn't been working for us. As a whole, I think the Jets can still compete for wild card next year and build from last year. But yes I believe they will flop on offense

17. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

I was fairly confident the approach the jets took in the draft was appropriate. Having read this thread I can see the merit in going wr earlier. However, I still go back to the indisputable fact that the qb position is uncertain at this time. Obviously a qb needs talent around him to succeed but Rex is a safer bet to get more out of an elite safety then geno with a wr IMO.

The jets have some options for geno now. Better than last yr for sure. I could make an argument that we needed to draft another top qb prospect more than wr. The pats used a 2nd rndr on garoppolo to learn under brady.We pick up Vick who sucks yet is odds on favorite to beat out smith. I don't remember seeing Vick charting plays when foles beat him out lol. What is he going to teach geno? Might not even matter because geno sucked last yr and might suck forever. In this scenario the best bet might be to utilize most valuable resources in a manner most easy to project. Ie. Cash to proven wr (decker), top picks on s and cb.

#157 ncjetfan, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Our current Wr depth chart looks like this,I hope this guy Evans can make an impact because we are still lacking on this side of the ball

Decker/Kerley/Nelson/Hill/Evans/Saunders

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You honestly believe that this is a sensible argument against not trading up for Lee? Why stop there? Who's to say a Pryor becomes better than Dion Bailey, Clowney better than Trevor Reilly or Amaro better than "Coke" Lyerla (in this case Lyerla may actually be better)?

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You were pushing the whole Lyerla thing in the draft threads, weren't you? You gotta give it up man. He ain't that good, he's got issues, and he's definitely not better than Amaro.