Where would Geno Smith have gone in this years draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 11, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

No seriously, I'm not the be all end all, far from it. I get that.

You just made my point perfectly and for that I commend you.

_

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If you say so....

3. JStokes

I do. Thanks.

_

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Well, you did say accuracy, which is a measurable thing for the most part. 71% completion means he was accurate at least 71% of the time. It doesn't determine everything, sure. But the thread was about where Geno would go if he was drafted this year and you go on about Geno's accuracy on his 1st year on the Jets as if it has anything to do with that. There's always going to be an adjustment period going into the pros. Manziel is not Andrew Luck. He will most likely have similar ups and downs to what Geno had.

#84 Barcs, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Spike_D likes this.
  5. JStokes

Accuracy is not something that gets measured by a simple stat with no regard to any other factor--and the 71% was in his senior year--his other years he was between 64% and 66% (with an overall 67.4% rate) while Manziel in his 2 years was 68% and 70%--a negligible difference in terms of pure numbers (that's basically a couple completions per year either way)--WITHOUT regard to the superior level of competition and the type of offenses they ran.

Accuracy, I will concede can be a subjective measure--my original assertion was that Manziel was more productive than Geno in college. I measure that by one stat and that's TDs produced. Geno had 103 in 3-1/4 years (44 games), Manziel had 93 in 2 years (26 games). That's 10 less TDs in 18 less games. Yardage or completion percentage or YPA (although Manziel's was higher) at the college level is not a true measure of production--TDs are.

We can debate all we want as to who was more accurate based on a percentage point or 2 or what the eye test tells you--or the level of competition each played. There is little debate that Manziel was more productive.

_

6. The 1985er

Johnny Manziel
    68.9 completion, 7820 yards, 63 TD's, 22 INT's

Geno Smith's last two seasons
    69 completion, 8590, 73 TD's, 13 INT's

More yards, more TD's less INT's. But Manziel was more productive?

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Better question is where would Sheldon had gone in the 13 draft IF the GMs thought he was better then he was? :mad:

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Smith played in the Big 12, you know where Texas who had not a single player drafted plays too, and Manziel played in the SEC..that is really all that's important.

9. The 1985er

What does this even mean? Conference is irrelevant.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Manziel was only more productive if you selectively compare their years as Stokes did comparing 4 years of Geno Smith to 2 years of Manziel, when in Geno's first year he didn't start and only had like 49 attempts. Yeah that's a valid comparison LOL. Geno's last year was better than Manziels. Geno's last 2 years together were better than Manziels.

Now lets get the average of Geno's last 3 years vs the average of Manziel's 2 years. It's the only fair way to do it.

Manziel: 68.9 comp%, 31.5 TD, 11 INT, 3910 yards

Geno: 67.8 comp%, 32.3 TD, 6.6 INT, 3784 yards

It's like I said originally, they are very close, neither one is head and shoulders above the other as Stokes had suggested about Manziel. Manziel had a slightly higher comp% and yards, while Geno excelled at scoring and limiting INTs. I feel that TD to INT ratio is by far the most important stat for a QB and it's not close in that department. Either way my argument stands, they are on about equal footing and probably would have been drafted near the same slots. Manziel might have been drafted slightly higher because he played in the SEC. Anyways, Geno was more productive with TDs by a little bit.

11. The 1985er

Since Johnny only played 2 years. I compared Geno's last 2 years to Johnny's 2 seasons. Geno's numbers are better all across the board. When I seen both of them play Geno was a much more complete QB. I don't see how anyone can say Manziel was more productive. Unless you're flat out biased.

12. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, it is going to be a lot of fun watching Manziel this year... Wish the Browns had more night games damnit..

13. JStokes

So you count Geno's JUNIOR and SENIOR seasons and not his freshman and sophomore seasons?

I'll just look at Manziel's freshman and sophomore seasons.

And you don't count rushing TDs when discussing production?

Look at the total TDs produced--INCLUDING rushing TDs and stop with the yardage nonesense--it's irrelavant in the context of college football. ESPECIALLY considering where Geno played.

It's not close.

_

14. JStokes

And rushing TDs don't count for as much in college.

_

15. JStokes

Lol, that's special. So guys putting up massive numbers in the WAC are on equal footing I'm guessing?

_

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

We'll find out this year who the better pro is.

Manziel was never going to be the pick, he is clearly not the kind of guy that Idzik wants to steer clear of.

I think Geno would have been in the same group with Teddy/Bortles/Manziel. I honestly think he'd go in roughly the same spot.

17. The 1985er

If I count Geno's entire college career it blows Manziel's out the water.

I don't usually check for a QB's rushing stats to me that's like checking for how many TD's a RB threw. It's irrelevant. At least to me. Manziel's rushing yards blows Geno's out the water I'll give him that. Geno is a pocket passer who has the ability to use his feet (Aaron Rodgers/Alex Smith/Andrew Luck etc) Manziel's game IS scrambling.

18. The 1985er

Conference means nothing. It's about individual talent. You have shit QB's in the SEC that would also be shit in the WAC.

19. JStokes

So when discussing how productive a player was in COLLEGE you discount 30 rushing TDs in 2 years?

That seems logical.

Btw, if you look at the splits, Johnny became much more of a pocket passer his sophomore year and ran less and scored fewer TDs. Heard the stat--don't have a link--that he was the most accurate passer in the nation from the pocket last year.

_

20. JStokes

That is monumentally silly. It's not about the shitiness of the QBs in the league--it's about the overall talent in the league

The SEC is nearly the pros compared to the Big East and the Big 12. To think that the conference doesn't matter when talking about raw stats is illogical.

_