We're going to regret not taking a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, May 10, 2014.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I would have taken Seferian-Jenkins ahead of Lee.

But to answer your question, yes, I would have given up those picks in a heartbeat to have either of those guys instead of Amaro. (The 3rd rounder wound up being burned up reaching for a projected 6th or 7th round guy anyway. I'm not saying McDougle won't contribute, but that's the reality of the situation.)

I have not seen any reports that we contacted the Redskins about #34, only Tampa.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

On a points basis it would have taken the 49 and the 80 to trade up for the 32. However it's not clear that the Seahawks were willing to trade down that far before making their first pick. They traded down to the 40 and then traded down from there to the 45. They took Paul Richardson at that slot. Clearly they were looking for a WR after losing a couple of theirs in free agency. Maybe they would have taken a Jets offer of the 2nd and the 3rd for the 32. It probably wouldn't have been in the Jets best interests to make that deal but it's also not clear that the Seahawks would have been interested.

Don't get in the trap of thinking that 1 WR was going to resolve the Jets issues on offense. If the Jets actually made that trade up then they probably pick different players in the 4th round. They probably don't go with 2 WR's there. They still don't have a TE out of the draft at that point.

The idea that the Jets should have overloaded a deal for the 32 to guarantee getting one of the best WR prospects is kind of pitiful. Have you not watched the last few years? Do you really want to get back up on stage and start grinding on the pole on draft day again so soon?

abyzmul likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Any former QBs who are members of TGG could do a decent job playing for the Jets given the talent Geno just got handed him on a silver platter lol. He has Decker and Amaro , Kerley as pretty much sure things even without the big fight out at WR. What they couldn't get in Lee, Idzik settled in numbers. The house, as I have said before, is riding on Geno. But is he the guy? Couldn't tell ya.

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

From the NFL Hall of fame website, the following HOFers at WR were drafted in the 4th round or later:

Charlie Joiner (4th)
    John Stallworth (4th)
    Steve Largent (4th)
    Andre Reed (4th)
    Chris Carter (4th)
    Bob Hayes (7th)
    Don Maynard (9th)

I'm guessing fans of their teams thought they had wasted a draft pick that year, too.

SHOULDA Picked that first round guy!

5. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

He's "extremely" frail because he suffered a knee injury? Would you call Adrian Peterson frail? Lee actually played through the injury last year because he wanted to be on the field for this teammates.

After taking a big hit against WV, Amaro was hospitalized and bed-ridden for 3 weeks. Amaro also tore his ACL in his junior year of high school. Would you say he's "extremely frail"?

He has good size and decent hands, but he looks to me like a plodder with no acceleration, a slow 40-time and even slower game speed. He's a compiler who racked up numbers playing in a spread offense.

Honestly, does this tape scream "playmaker" or "seam threat" to you? Actually, in the video, Jeremiah George, our 5th round pick, breaks up several passes intended for Amaro and does a pretty good job when matched up on him.

#125 al_toon_88, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    74 likes this.
  6. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Rod Smith is another potential future HOFer who also happened to be an UFA.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

(Gulps..gasps for air)....Well I guess all that glitters is not gold lol. I hope Amaro has some better viewing material. Where oh where is our game changing WR..........

8. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

draft chart value wise, to move up to the 33rd pick (580 points) without moving our 2nd, we would have had to trade our 3rd (80th overall w/190 point value), our 4ths (104 - 86 points and 115 - 64 points) or 5th (154 overall - 29.8 points) - now that is a total of 370 points leaves us 210 points short...so maybe if we threw in our 3rd next year that deal could get done, more likely next years 2nd according to the draft chart...I think 99% of Jets fans would not do that trade but i could be wrong.

MoWilkNYJ likes this.
  9. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

I actually like what I see in this vid. Kid made some impressive plays even after he hurt his foot or leg. Also showed that he is a more than adequate blocker.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. Altoona

Don't forget UFA Rod Smith!!;)

11. NYJetsO12

It's shame Idzik couldn't find any CB pre draft. He practically then forced the issue of going defense first round instead of grabbing a good WR. If things would have played out better we wouldn't be having this discussion.

12. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Amaro may not burn by people but hell be crucial on 3rd downs and red zone with his size.........people on this board act like they should be GMs of NFL teams but yet they are just sitting behind a computer bitching if you know so much then why hasn't a team hired you yet?

13. NYJetsO12

Yes, spend some money please Uncle Ebineezer lol. Good post..if the Jets get a known commodity that is still healthy it would be wiser to open the wallet here to remove all the controversy surrounding your draft choices.

14. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

CB is different than safety and if Pryor ends up kicking ass (which the FO has to believe he will) then he can be more valuable than an expensive FA CB.

15. Warrior

Warrior Member

I agree - looks good - quick with good hands.

16. NYJetsO12

Pryor is good, no doubt about it. I think what happened is the Jets had him valued/graded much higher than what was out there at the time and the Jets got him. The supposed(?) offer was made for Lee and no takers. Any offers/deals for another WR I am totally in the dark about. I don't assume Idzik will stop trying to find another FA CB somewhere given the remaining salary cap money.

17. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I'm aware that we tried to trade. But we don't know the details of the offer. It could have been fair for both sides but the buccaneers might not have wanted to trade back. This isn't madden where teams will automatically trade if values are equal. If they have a player in mind that they want they'll take him.

And we don't know if the Seahawks would have wanted to trade back as far as we are. Plus it would have cost us way too much.

That "last minute" connotation is what I was questioning. You made it sound like Idzik put in an offer with 10 seconds left on the clock, but really we don't know much about what happened. For all we know we put out trade feelers for the pick before the bucs too.

18. I'm fine w/ the way things shook out offensively in this draft. Yes we still lack that dynamic sure-fire deep threat on the outside..but for all the hype of this WR class..who was that prospect? Beckham/Cooks/Lee/Adams/Richardson...none of these guys were sure things. Would it have been nice for the Jets to force the issue w/ a guy like Cooks? Maybe so. But it's hard to argue w/ them filling another long time need at that spot instead..and the fact that Saunders projects to be the same type of player Cooks does.

Fact is...the Jets offensive skill corps is worlds better now than it was 12 months ago. And instead of a patchwork group of the best street talent we could assemble on short notice...we have a complimentary group of legit WCO talent w/ competition to spare.

I'm not making any predictions nor am I defending his shortcomings thus far..but if Stephen Hill can finally put it all together..suddenly things really fall into place for this unit.He doesn't have to be megatron or even the #1 he was drafted to be.Just 4-5 catches a game,occupying a deep safety & producing some chunk yardage.

Consider these pieces..

Decker- Intermediate Possession
    Kerley- Down the seams/YAC
    Nelson-Intermediate Possession
    Saunders-Jack of all trades/YAC
    Evans-Outside the numbers/back shoulder possession
    Enunwa-Jack of all trades minus YAC..also a back shoulder element
    Hill-Outside the numbers deep threat

Cumberland:Down the seams/Back shoulder
    Amaro: Down the seams/Back shoulder/work the flats

Ivory: Bruising finisher
    Johnson: Dynamic burner w/ catching ability
    Powell: All purpose back
    Goodson: Dynamic finisher(when he's reliable)

I got news for folks...this is a pretty good looking skill group for a physical cold weather team. Yeah a couple of these guys will be cut or head to the practice squad but alot of complimentary pieces for a good OC like MM to work with. This doesn't even consider Geno and/orVick's scrambling ability. There is plenty of skill here to put up points & move the ball. I'm excited.

DMarsh6, 74, NYJetsO12 and 1 other person like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I must admit I was bummed we were not able to pull the trigger on Lee but you never know the outcome for at least 2-3 years down the road. The draft is a bit of a crap shot and rankings are nothing but a guide, not an absolute.
    Gosh, if the draft rankings are truly gospel, we are screwed. I suppose since we got our WRs in the 4th round they will not amount to much because good players go higher in the draft, but as a consolation they will be better than those that went undrafted like Wes Welker and Wayne Chrebet. Good enough for me I'll say. Call me crazy but I'm willing to see what these kinds really bring to the table before I criticize the selections.

#139 LAJet, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  20. Altoona

Yowsah!