We're going to regret not taking a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, May 10, 2014.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I'm perfectly fine with not trading up in round 2. Amaro is a fine talent that will help our passing game, and that allowed us to address more needs and build depth.

I"m sure the Jets could have found a price to trade up if they wanted. But I'd rather have the 3rdand the 5th.

While I get that all 12 draft picks likely won't make the roster, that's fine. Not all 12 draft picks are likely to work out. That's why the strategy of taking 3 wide receivers and hoping that 1-2 work out and become dynamic players isn't a bad one. It may work out, it may not, but the same is true if you trade up for a receiver.

2. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Better yet, did it not occur to our brilliant GM to call his old bosses / friends in Seattle and trade back into the end of the 1st round?

After NE took the player they wanted, Seattle gave up pick #32 for next to nothing (the "chart value" you refer to): the Vikings 2nd and 4th rounders. We had 2 tradeable 4ths to offer.

If they wanted Lee so badly, why leave things to chance in round 2?

Idzik waited til the last second, trying "furiously" to make a deal with Tampa, and got burned.

I'm not positive on this, but I believe taking Lee at the end of the first would have also given us the 5th year option on him.

I understand you want to defend Idzik, but when you ignore the facts including what actually transpired, I can't take you seriously.

#102 al_toon_88, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I agree with everything you said but I still think we probably have enough new receivers so as it is not a problem. Now that we have them though we need to Smith to learn how to thrown to them and forget holding the ball until he is sacked.

4. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

The biggest blunder was not trading up for Lee. It's pretty much inexcusable, given the way the draft went. I am totally fine with picking D in round 1 (even though I REALLY wanted Cooks, who along with Manziel were BPA at 18). But coming away with Lee and Amaro in the second would have been a coup.

Drafting several receivers to see which pans out is a good plan when you have 12 picks. I just wish we would have gotten one of the more talented ones. Through 4 rounds and 120+ picks, only two of our 6 guys were in any top 100 lists.

5. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Smith will be much better with this years offense. Remember, he got hurt in pre-season, split reps and then by mid-season was playing with waiver wire junk. It's hard to overstate how bad are receivers were last year. Do you think Chaz Schillens or Josh Cribbs were just wide open every play and Geno could not find them? Quite the opposite.

6. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Well said. Idzik just didn't get it done.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that was never going to happen. outside of giving up our 2015 1st, there wasn't going to be a trade where we end up with two 2nd round picks.

everyone who thinks we should have traded up at all costs must really miss tanny

MoWilkNYJ and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  8. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

So if we traded up in the 2nd for Lee, how would we have gotten Amaro w/out that 2nd? Would have been a coup b/c it would have been impossible.

9. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

THANK YOU! beat me to it.

To tell you the truth, I would rather have Amaro than Lee. Marqise Lee catches with his body, and is extremely frail.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The guy who's going to wish we drafted a WR in the first round is the guy who's going to get de-cleated going over the middle against the Jets secondary.

74 and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  11. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

There are ways to trade for a 2nd round pick without giving up the only second rounder you have.

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I'm not even a big Lee fan. But in the second round I like him (esp at 39). With the need we have at receiver, you take a chance on a guy who would've been a first rounder in 2013.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Man you guys live in la la land, I'm sure Idzik could have waved a magic wand to get a deal done and there wasn't any other factor than him just wanting to do it, nope. :rolleyes:

Yes, I believe nobody wanted to play ball. I believe Idzik tried trading up after a certain point in the second round arrived where he felt comfortable trading up but the deal wasn't done because the team he tried trading with (probably the Bucs who rumor has it thought the jets were trading up for ASJ, their eventual pick) liked their pick.

after words he found no point in trading up since nobody was of the value to do so in his eyes. he went for lee and only lee and came up empty, and I don't believe it was because of a low ball offer. That makes no sense he likely came up with some combination of his fourths, third and second rounders, but its not all about giving a good number of picks. sometimes the ransom isn't as good as getting you're guy. you could say Idzik could have given the house for Lee but even thats a really shortsighted thing to do.

assuming he could have gotten it done if he just REALY WANTED to is simply laughable given theres an entirely different team involved, I wanted Lee trust me, i loved that prospect, but its not like it was the easiest thing in the world just because we had the picks to get there. lets be honest with ourselves and not act like everything would work out the way we wanted to before draft day.

FJF and hornblower like this.
  14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

So we give up our 2nd rounder and 2 4ths to get Lee then how exactly do we get another 2nd? Giving up next years picks? This isn't Madden you dont just get everyone you want.

Also the Seahawks traded with the Vikings who had much higher picks than us so a 2nd rounder and 2 4ths from us wouldnt have gotten it done as it is worse value.

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

whats more, i can understand not liking Idzik for not offering more resources to DRC or somebody else in free agency where a fat sack of money will likely get the job done expect in a case of a player simply liking a location better (or maybe not wanting an obscene amount like the vikings were willing to pay Wallace)

there his ability to want that player aboard is pretty much the biggest factor, as expressed through $$$. theres future salary cap considerations to think of obviously but yeah he we can bemoan him for how much he wanted to get something done in that regard since its mostly on him to do so.

but the draft? it takes two to tango. we're acting like he deliberately didn't get a WR, he didn't get one early because after WHATEVER he had done the other team didn't take and WR wasn't BPA by our pick.

we knew this could happen, we knew that the BPA mindset would sacrifice an apparent greater need, the first and second round were a crystal clear examples of this. the narrative is we need a CB and WR. what do we get? a F/SS and TE. we tried to get a WR but no avail, oh well no failure here just politics.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I like Cumby. It's not that I don't think he has talent. He does. The problem is that he has a problem staying healthy, and that even when he's healthy he doesn't consistently show that talent. He makes just enough plays to tantalize, but I'm not sure he will ever be able to put it together on a consistent basis and stay healthy. Plus, he is a WR playing TE. The think I love about ASJ, Niklas and Fiedorowicz is that they're true TEs. As much as I would have liked to see ASJ on the Jets, I wouldn't have been willing to give up the 3rd to get him. The Jets could have stayed put and taken Niklas or traded down perhaps and taken ASJ at the end of the 1st or Fiedorowicz in the late 2nd round.

17. al_toon_88

In my opinion we really needed to move up for a WR or Seferian-Jenkins in round 2.

For all the Amaro lovers out there, does this tape scream "playmaker" or "seam threat" to anybody? I don't know if he came into the game injured or if he's being coached to run his routes at half-speed like that, but the guy has no acceleration and it almost looks as if he's moving in slow motion.

Actually, in this video, Jeremiah George, our 5th round pick, actually breaks up several passes intended for Amaro and shows he is able to blanket him pretty well when matched up on him.

#117 al_toon_88, May 12, 2014
  18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I was disappointed that we didn't get Lee. But I'm okay with Amaro. He's an addition to a position of need for our offense. Saunders will be an instant contributor in the special teams and also as a guy that can be a threat catching those short intermediate passes as well as being a deep threat. IMO he could be our Tavon Austin.

19. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Do you know the bolded part or did you just pull it out of your ass?

For all you know the teams we wanted to trade with wanted a ridiculous offer that wasn't worth it.

20. al_toon_88

No, not "out of my ass." Several media outlets reported it. Idzik himself confirmed it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...s-jets-tried-to-trade-up-in-round-2-1.7980001
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/20...e_up_to_draft_wr_marqise_lee_report_says.html

Seattle gave up pick #32 for the Vikings' 2nd and 4th. We had 2 tradeable 4ths to offer plus our 3rd rounder. For argument's sake, you're saying Seattle would take that from the Vikings over our 2nd and 3rd, or, if necessary, our 2nd, 3rd and one of our 4ths?

#120 al_toon_88, May 12, 2014