Grade the Jets 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by irishwhip03, May 10, 2014.

?

Grade the Jets 2014 Draft

1. A

23.7%
  2. B

39.2%
  3. C

15.5%
  4. D

13.4%
  5. F

8.2%
  1. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

1. Calvin Pryor - A-
    2. Jace Amaro - A
    3. Dexter McDougle - B-
    4. Jalen Saunders - C+
    4. Shaquelle Evans - C-
    4. Dakota Dozier - B+
    5. Jeremiah George - C
    6. Brandon Dixon - B
    6. Quincy Enunwa - C
    6. IK Enempkpala - B
    6. Tajh Boyd - A-
    7. Trevor Reilly - A+

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

B-. Definitely reached in rounds 3 and 4. Not sure how the hell they took Saunders over Bruce Ellington. Both 5'9 yet Ellington is a bowling ball who makes great plays all over the field at almost 200 lbs. He's got 30 lbs. on Saunders who will have a very hard time at that size in the NFL. Head scratcher pick right there.

Also lots of proven good CB's on the board right through the 5th round so the Jets wayyyy overreached on McDougle. He had good production in college before the injury but definitely a risky pick at that early juncture (3rd round).

3. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I would give it a b- . My favorite picks were Pryor, Dozier and Trevor Reilly. I would have preferred to go receiver in the 2nd given Davante Adams and Cody Latimer were on the board and I think they both could be special with WR being a bigger need than tight end. Was also surprised by dex and even if he was bpa Philip Gaines was sitting there and we may have been able to get dexter with the next pick.
    Ultimately, I feel confident based off of both Idziks draft last year where I and some of you as well we're shocked by moves but ultimately Richardson turned out great. Also Idzik was able to put his own scouting team in place and I saw somewhere that we were one of the teams that saw the most prospects so I know they left no stone unturned. At a minimum, we brought in competition at our weakest positions from last year so guys esp the corners and wide receivers all have fires under them. It'd be nice to find more gems in undrafted free agency and maybe Jared Abbredris gets cut by Packers who drafted multiple receivers and we get another shot

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

See the problem I have with giving Pryor a A- is that there weren't a ton of safeties in the draft let alone very good ones, so I think it was an uber-smart move. Sure we lost out on very good WRs, but had we taken a WR, we would still be woefully thin in the secondary. The Pryor pick instantly gives our young CB core a reassuring lift.

It has to be an A+

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

Ouch!

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I saw that nonsense. Since the Jets won 8 games with this roster I guess we will have to credit it to coaching. Since they have the same coaches coming back maybe they can win 10. The only thing dumber than pre-draft analysts are post-draft analysts.

7. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I'm not going to pretend that I'm a draft expert, but I would give this Jets draft a B.
    I liked getting Pryor, because this team so needs a playmaker in the secondary.

I WAS very disappointed that they didn't draft Cooks nor Lee.
    This team needs a playmaker to take the pressure off Decker,

Amaro should help, but it will interesting to see how the OC utilizes he and Cumberland
    I imagine Shaq Evans is a good pickup.

I'm crious to see what UFAs they sign.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It's never that black and white w/ this league. Schedules get tougher, other teams improve more than you do, the chemistry is different...etc. While I think our roster as it stands is better than last year, I can see us losing more games this year.

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I give it an A despite not loving the Mcdougle pick.

Here's why.

The jets brought in guys across various positions of need. I love the Pryor and amaro pick. I also love the Saunders and Evans combo.

Overall I'm excited for what the team has done.

gustoonarmy likes this.
  10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

xmscott, gustoonarmy and MaximusD163 like this.
  11. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Im glad they didnt trade. Stuck to the board unlike past drafts. B..kinda wanted stud Wrs first off..the O-line..humm

12. gustoonarmy

Walter football is widely respected but just lost some credibility with this statement..

"It doesn't appear as though the Jets understand the value aspect of the draft. They see players they like, and they take them, completely ignoring the fact that they can obtain better prospects at earlier picks all while still securing the players they covet much later."

Oh right, so because players are ranked that means players that you like shouldn't be drafted because player X has a higher draft stock.... Like Gholston?
    The whole draft is pot luck and finding the right pieces for any team is a complex one which requires more than a 40 time and a vertical jump!
    After last years draft I'm more than happy with the way the draft went for us and for once have confidence in the FO and what as a team is being achieved, slowly slowly catchy monkey.

The likes of walter f'n football can whinge all they want , most likely because we didn't pick players which fitted in with their pretty board making them look like fools.

Br4d and xmscott like this.
  13. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

The statement doesn't take away any of his credibility. He's right and Walter and his team are excellent football writers.

Where he DOES lose credibility is his absurd hatred for Michael Vick who he won't even mention by name. He has been outraged with the Jets and hating extremely hard since the signing. He called CJ one of the worst backs in the NFL, said we made ourselves worse nj free agency, etc. His Vick/dog obsession has blinded him with anything Jet-related.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Wilkerson A+
    Snacks B
    Powell C+
    Kerley A-
    McElroy D
    Scotty McKnight F

Overall: B-

ukjetsfan likes this.
  15. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I'd give a B-. The good was addressing need. The bad was passing up on talented players who played top comp. Pryor is great (I said this right after the pick) but I would have taken Denard, who unlike Milliner, actually played press coverage in college. Amaro is a stud and will be a serious weapon. He reminds me of Jermichael Finley back when Finley was good. Geno needs a safety valve and got one who can make plays.

From there the issues came in. With Lee, Lattimer, Bryant and other more proven talent available, why not trade for another second and take Amaro AND another receiver? In a "very deep" receiver class, don't you want at least one of the top 8-10? With 6 picks in the first four rounds, trading was a must. Instead we wait til round 4 and take a guy who will be a kick returner because he is extremely thin.

I do like the idea of drafting several receivers and seeing who can pan out. And I really like the Shaq Evans pick. The Dozier and Boyd picks were also great values.

Overall it was a solid draft but seemed marked by passing up on established talent time and time again. It also felt like we'd keep picking and then the 9ers would come behind us and take a stud at the exact same position! Lol. Hits would have liked to see a little more stud potential and a trade in a trade-happy draft.

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I love that we added so many bodies, some of which look like instant contributors. Everybody knows it's impossible to truly judge a draft for several years, but based on the approach (and the fact that we FINALLY drafted a safety!) I give this an A. I didn't follow the college game or scouting reports enough to bang the table over specific players, but I like the range of picks and feel our squad just added a lot of depth. Throw in a solid draft next year and this could be a developing powerhouse - I like the way this is being approached by the front office.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

People complaining about the McDougle pick needs to understand something about the draft. If you like a guy you draft him. Fuck what these "draft experts" think. No one knows how other teams had Dexter rated.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am not draft guru, we'll see if the right choices were made in the coming years. I am on board w/ Idzik and co., let's hope they made the right choices. We should have a talented and deep team, one that should be a playoff team this year.

19. gustoonarmy

No, I believe you're wrong there. I 'm not getting into the Vick thing here, this is what he's said about the Jets and our drafting philosophy, and Idzek.
    He disagrees with the way they conduct business in his neat dove tailed world of the draft which he seems to have a big wank over the rest of the year, and just loves to be the one who told us all so, bet he has a nude poster of Mayock the power cock on his office wall.

The draft and combine is way too overrated as to what it actually is and shows us. Its a glorified workout and gym session. These athletes are young and still developing and players taken in the 2nd, 3rds >>> often go on to have solid careers.
    On this occassion it would appear that Walters football got stuck up his pompous ass.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I tend to think it premature to grade a draft at this point, given the great unknowns it will take years to play out to figure the answers. But having said that, with the caveat that this is based on how it looks now, assessing whether perceived needs were or were not met, I give it a flex grade which I will explain before giving.

On one hand, I understand the Pryor pick as necessary to upgrade the secondary, the weakest unit on the team entering the draft. On the other I have no reason to grade him higher than Dennard, who probably would have been my pick. And while I hear many good things about Amaro, the fact that the Jets failed to get a top wideout in a draft deep in them is problematic.

On the other hand Rex and Idzik seem to think Pryor is the better fit. If they are right, then it's hard for me to criticize them picking Pryor in round one. For me it was a choice between Dennard and Pryor, so I can hardly be too critical they picked one of them. And as for wideout, probably Lee was the most reasonable value opportunity in the second round. What to make of the fact that the Jets tried to move up to get him, but failed, has to go into the assessment of the Amaro pick.

More problems come up with the McDougle pick. I frankly don't know him, but some have said it was a reach to pick him in the third. Well, given the Pryor pick and going O with the Amaro pick, using the next to address Cb is both understandable and likely inadequate.

So, I give the Jets a B- for getting quality players, but a solid C and no better on the metric of addressing needs. If somehow McDougle wins the starting Cb job, the draft rating goes up to B or even B+.