Where would Geno Smith have gone in this years draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 11, 2014.

1. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

If Tahj Boyd came out last year he may have been a first round pick. McCarron and Derek Carr were also highly thought of.

I personally am a believer in Geno Smith--This kid was a tremendous player in college (you don't throw for 700 yds and 8 TDs in one game if you don't have a ton of ability).

Call me nuts, but I beleive Geno was the best QB in this years draft class. Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, and Carr are impressive, but Geno is the total package--Big arm, sub 4.6 speed, toughness, quick release--Its an Aaron Rodgers type arsenal.

Through Genos first 7 or 8 games he was one of the most efficient downfield passers in the league. His game really fell off when the Jets lost Kerley and Winslow for that stretch. The talking heads in the media make us believe Geno Smith is trash, but I'm not buying it. Geno figured out last year that he can beat defenses with his legs (something he never learned to do at WVU). Thoughts?

JETS1116 likes this.
  2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

#3 overall to Jacksonville.

JETS1116 likes this.
  3. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Early 2nd round.

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

He would have gone in the second round again at best, because this class was much, much better.

5. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

He had the definition of an inconsistent season last year. I think by the end of this season, with a full off-season as the starter, we'll have a solid idea of the type of player he's going to be.

JETS1116 likes this.
  6. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

7. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

think he might have been a raider... or a jet depending on how things panned out within closed doors in florham park,

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yes you are nuts. Geno is a good QB but he's not better than Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater or Carr.

Geno would have gone late 2nd round to the Pats in the Garoppolo spot.

_

74 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. JStokes

Much much MUCH better.

_

10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

actually a logical location.

i've always thought carr and smith were close as hell to each other, if one is better its not by much. so i'd assume he'd be at about that level.

11. JStokes

Very similar players in the physical respect, the pre-snap reads, going through the progressions and the quicker release are the differences that favor Carr. Higher football IQ.

_

freemantoon likes this.
  12. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

When you play in the Big XII and throw every down in the spread you do

13. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

I believe he would have gone fourth or fifth out of the others, likely in the 2nd.

Bortles -> Manziel -> Bridgewater -> Geno

They all have likable qualities. I still think Bridgewater is far better on tape then the rest. The remainder all have intangibles but are rough around the edges in some ways.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Probably 2nd round. If we're comparing Geno as a college prospect coming out this year he logically should be drafted ahead of Bortles and Manziel. But if the best QB in the draft (Bridgewater) got drafted 32nd overall then there's no way Geno gets picked in round 1. He likely goes to the Patriots in the late 2nd round of early 3rd to Tampa.

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Geno would have still been a second round pick

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

4th among quarterbacks, probably 2nd round again. Behind Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Geno likely would have had the highest ceiling of any QB in this years draft but one of the lowest floors. He would have been one of the top 5 Qbs taken with Bortles, Manziel, Carr, and Bridgewater. But like last year he would have been part of a class of QBs that are good but not great propects. He has the arm strength and the ability make all the throws like Bortles which puts him far ahead of a prospect like Bridgewater but he lacks many of the mental qualities of Bridgewater. Lacking the smarts, understanding of offense/defense, experience, quick release and pro readiness of Bridgewater. It depends upon the type of QB a team wants. If a team values a strong armed accurate QB with a lot of potential but quite raw then they would consider Geno but if a team wants a Pennington type smart QB that can win if placed in the right offense and that team can overlook a weak arm then they might lean towards Bridgewater. If they have a crazy owner who just wants publicity and ticket sales and who makes Woody in comparison, look bright, intelligent and the possessor of a triple digit IQ, then they might take a Manziel.

My guess is Geno would have been a consideration for the Raiders in round 2 and for the Jags in round 1 and 2. The Jags were rumored to really love Geno in 2013 and were rumored to have heavily considered him with the 2nd pick. But eventually they decided to give Gabbert one more year. A possibility for the Browns as well but with Haslam there I doubt they could resist the temptation of Manziel. The Vikings showed their love of a Bridgewater type QB but the Vikes were also rumored to have liked Bortles the best wanting him at 8. It's possible Geno could have been left out if the Raiders liked Carr over him and the Jags liked Bortles over him as well.

One thing to consider is this years class had a lot more quality good but not great QB prospects along with a ton of QBs very close in value in Mettenberger, Savage, Garappollo, McCarron and so on. So much supply and so little demand pushed down the value of all the QBs. But there were more teams this year with 4 teams looking for a starting QB compared to only two teams last year. Adding a 5th QB to a list of only 4 teams shopping would have likely left one of the QBs out in the cold until round late round 2 or 3+. My guess is the last of these 5 would have either gone to a contender as a back-up late in round 2 or 3 or have gone undrafted until rounds 3 maybe 4. This of course assumes the Jets would not have been in the market for a QB.

#17 Noam, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No idea really. Considering Bortles was the first QB taken, I could have seen him going in the first. I thought choosing Bortles at number 3 was a HUGE mistake for Jax. Way too high for me.

74 and Br4d like this.
  19. JStokes

There is absolutely no logic to that.

Manziel was a far better and more productive QB than Geno in a far better conference.

Bortles is the prototypical 6'-5" 240 lb NFL QB with every bit Geno's arm and a higher football IQ. He's Big Ben compared to Geno.

No team is drafting Geno before Bortles, they're just not.

_

20. Tom

Tom Member

According to ESPN's grades Bridgewater and Geno = 89, Manziel = 90, Bortles 91...so he wouldve been in the mix with all of them, not above them or below them really, it just comes down to scheme fits and which teams like which guys