We're going to regret not taking a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, May 10, 2014.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Honestly, yes I think that means there's no room for either of those guys, especially considering the contract they will demand.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I like Cumby, but he isn't starting material and he can't block either. The Jets need a TE that can block for the rushing attack and be a safety valve for Geno.

3. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Is landing Thomas or Bryant even a remote possibility next summer? You have to think Denver and Dallas would immediately resign both of them

4. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

There's a whole season-plus of football between now and then, but Dallas is currently right up against the cap (Remember they couldn't re-sign DeMarcus Ware). Denver is also up against it and their 2015 Free Agents include D. Thomas, Julius Thomas, and Welker.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

How is starting material measured exactly? Apparently, not by whether or not you start. Whether you believe he is starting material or not, he will more than likely be our starter this year.

Putting aside the fact I disagree, Jets were the 6th best rushing attack last year with Cumy starting. Is it your belief that Cumby held the rushing attack back and that we really should have been # 1 if not for Cumby not being able to block? This can't block argument is often use to criticize TEs because it's easy, but it's pretty weak. I had a similar discussion prior to the draft with a close friend of mine who is a Giants fan. He said he wanted Ebron but he can't block. I told him only teams with porous offensive lines worry about their starting TE not being able to block. If your oline is any good your TE will be out running routes most of the time. It's like not drafting a beast of a DE/OLB prospect because you worry he can't drop in coverage 1o% of the time. Daniel Jeremiah and Mike Mayock refuted that argument against Ebron by saying that the next block that Jimmy Graham makes will be his first. In reality, even if you have the best blocking starting TE in the world, you would not want a steady dose of having said TE having one on one blocking assignments on a good DE or OLB. 9 times out of 10 that should be an advantage to the defense. Conversely, if your TE is any good as a receiver 9/10, it should be an advantage to the offense if said TE is being covered by a LB, DE or S. That's the chess match.

FJF likes this.
  6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Maybe we could try Miles Austin.

7. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I think he's broken.

8. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I'm not obsessed, I can't wait for camp to start so we can see what we have with these guys. I just wanted to help quell the uproar of folks flipping the hell out that we don't have a 1WR right now. Who cares if we have a 1WR if everybody we put on the field can actually catch the ball, turn up field and make a play? Somebody is going to be open if we put a a group of quality players on the field.

However, if it doesn't work out we could look at somebody that hits market because we will have money to spend.

#88 hastygreen, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Agreed. There was a run on playmakers in front of us in round 2, and our GM sat on his hands.

I would offer the Jags a 5th for Justin Blackmon and see what they say.

They've evidently moved on from him and may end up just releasing him.

There's a chance he could be reinstated at some point this season.

10. MaximusD163

There's no way, Idzik won't trade for a guy who is that flakey. We went out of our way to sign and draft high character guys (Vicks past aside), and there's no way Blackmon falls under that category.

11. al_toon_88

I am higher on Cumber than most.

He averaged over 15 YPC last year and is deceptively fast (4.45 wheels, believe it or not).

I know you're not an Amaro booster, but others have touted him as a seam / vertical threat. That requires speed and the fact is he's 3/10 of a second slower than the guy we already have.

Cumber had perhaps the biggest catch down the seam for us last year in the Atlanta game, good for a 47-yard gain.

I think of Geno's first(?) completion in the 2nd NE game where he beat the LB for a nice 20-yard out. Cumber is able to gain separation.

Amaro could prove to be a nice safety valve type -- a more athletic Heath Miller -- who excels at finding the soft spot in zone coverages, but I'm not sure he's a guy who will be able to consistently beat man coverage or threaten the field vertically.

I haven't exactly studied Cumber as a blocker, but I do recall at least a few plays from last year where he was able to hold his blocks long enough to help provide running lanes. So maybe it's an area he can improve in with more practice and better technique.

I would have been willing to give up #49 plus our 3rd rounder to jump up in the 2nd for ASJ. (That was enough for Dallas to move up and take Demarcus Lawrence)

The 4th we got from Tampa mitigates the loss of the 3rd.

#91 al_toon_88, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

See some D Thomas talk up there ^^^^ good news is his best friend/brother (Decker) is on our team. So if there is a possibility we have an advantage

13. al_toon_88

Maybe you're right. But I think that may be overstated a little.

That IK guy we just drafted was arrested for assaulting a cop.

Mike Goodson is facing felony gun charges and is still on the team.

If he can stay on the wagon, Blackmon becomes our #1 WR on day one.

14. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

sat on his hands? he said he TRIED to trade up, the reason why it didn't work is ultimately because whatever team he contacted didn't want to trade down from their pick regardless of the volume idzik gave him.

what is with people not getting this concept, its NOT JUST ABOUT HIS WILLINGNESS TO TRADE. somebody else has to take the offer in lieu of what why CAN have.

15. al_toon_88

The potential 2015 FA WR / TE crop is unbelievable:

Demaryius, Dez, Brandon Marshall, Julius Thomas, Welker, Randall Cobb, Jordan Cameron, Torrey Smith, Roddy White, Jeremy Maclin, Crabtree, Jordy Nelson, Roddy White, Shane Vereen, Reggie Wayne, Cecil Shorts.

Most of these guys will probably be re-upped or franchised, but Idzik's thrift to this point should put us in good position to land somebody.

That is, if he's willing to spend the money.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. al_toon_88

Simply untrue. You are believing a lie. Don't be naive. Of course he is going to claim that after the fact to protect his image.

The Redskins moved out of #34 and it cost Dallas only their 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Our position in rounds 2 and 3 was only slightly lower than Dallas' (by 2 slots). Idzik could have sweetened the deal by adding a 5th, say.

Perhaps he was in fact spurned by other clubs.

But the logical inference is that even if he was spurned, it was because our "hard line" GM reached out with lowball offers.

Trades were being announced left and right yesterday. It felt like there had to be at least 20 or 30+ over the 3 days.

And you're saying nobody was willing to play ball with us?

#96 al_toon_88, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. al_toon_88

Filler (repost)

18. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

lowball offers? o_O

how? theres a draft value chart thats widely known and respected that should have given a basis of the caliber of picks needed to move up. theres no way idzik came with anything but a logical amount of picks based somewhere close to the amount needed to advance on that chart, he's not gonna offer up a 6th and conditional 7th or something when thats nowhere near worth the value he had to add up to. why would you even think that he would lowball his offers? what because he didn't sign DRC or something?

Also, you just assume the other guys would have wanted what we had in place of the pick they're sitting on, why? How do you know they wanted more quantity in place of the perceived quality of their early second rounder? how do you know they liked the place of the picks we had enough to desire a trade?

my point is that theres an entirely different end of the process thats out of Idzik's hands, to assume any number of picks would have gotten the job done nd that idzik failed on his own merit to get a trade done because its just that simple to pull off is either missing information or plain dishonest.

19. MaximusD163

You really think Amaro and a third round pick, and potentially a 5th would be worth giving away to trade up and get (I'm assuming) Lee? Amaro is a dynamic player for us, and even if the Jets were interested in Lee he isn't worth that. The Cowboys traded up because they were absolutely desperate for a DE they were confident could start for them. They have neither depth for competition nor a single starter talent there, and they did what they had to do to get their guy. We probably drove up the price for them. We have depth for competition at the WR position, and we were confident we could still get a very good player if we held tight. They looked into the trade, but the Cowboys gave up more than we were willing to.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Once we drafted defense AGAIN in the first round, the die was cast.