We're going to regret not taking a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, May 10, 2014.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Posts like this just make me realize I better put up some parental locks on the Internet when I have kids.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think Pryor is a fine player, but I would have taken WR Cooks. I don't think ANY of the 3 WRs the jets took during the draft are more than special teamers. We still have a huge hole opposite Decker. Other than Cooks, I would have taken OL Jackson in the 3rd round instead of McDougle. The rest of the jets draft was fine. Great selections in rounds 5, six (Boyd) and 7.

freemantoon likes this.
  3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I was very surprised we waited to round 4 to start drafting recivers.Hopefully one of these guys pans out if we are lucky ,I just worry what would happen if Decker got injured or something ,that would be a nightmare. Maybe we should bring Holmes back at a reduced price,might not be a terrible idea at this point

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No, it is a terrible idea at any point.

freemantoon likes this.
  5. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

We're building a team long term, so I'm okay with passing up a WR if they thought there were better for players available on their board. If the passing game doesn't fully come around this year, that's fine. The team is so young, there's plenty of time for them to gel. If these guys don't pan out, there will be more options next year and every year thereafter. Surprised me too but maybe one or more work out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

6. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

We've invested so much into defense the Jets needed to push it towards reasonable completion before our best guys started aging, like our offensive line. At this point I think the pieces are in place up front and in the secondary, the LB core isn't talentless but could use some restructuring.

Next year we can go ass over teakettle into getting a big play WR. If you jump on over to over the cap, http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=WR&Year=2015, you'll see some big names are up next year. At least one of them will hit the market and we can walk up with a bucket full of cash and say here ya go, and we'll be able to do that because we finally gotten the depth problem taken care of with young quality players.

I don't know about anybody else but I'm tired of the bottom part of our roster being guys that should probably be on the street like Clyde Gates

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I'm prepared for the hate, so bring it on, but I just want to say "told ya so" when it comes to drafting a WR early. I said numerous times that we should draft WR late for competition and go defense early.

8. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith....

...giggity giggity.

9. MaximusD163

Lol at you guys who are more interested in 2015 FA WR's than seeing what our receiving corp looks like in training camp. People are so obsessed with over hyped names.

hornblower and Barcs like this.
  10. FlashGordon

Can't we be interested in both?

11. MaximusD163

Yes, but considering it's very very doubtful we sign a single one of those top end FA WR's, it's pretty pointless.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What hate? Nobody cares. Receivers are about as important as RBs in the new NFL...walkons will do just as good as anybody else with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 and there are no guarantees with them either, One hard tackle and their careers could be over before they start.

13. FlashGordon

Very few players drafted late ever amount to anything in the NFL. Using your logic, it would be pretty pointless to pay attention to any of the players we drafted late or are picking up as UDFAs.

I bet a lot of people are interested in camp battles and also who's available next year.

14. MaximusD163

What is you definition of "amounting to anything?"

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

While I'm somewhat lukewarm about the Amaro pick, you are way overestimating the impact on the offense if he doesn't pan out. If he sucks, he just won't play as Cumby is serviceable enough. If he pans out, then we have a weapon. Since we have Cumby as insurance, there really isn't a downside.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Blocking TEs are rarely picked in early rounds and quite a bunch of TEs specialize in one or the other. Finding dudes on Gronk's level is a rarity, not the norm in round 2. Most blocking TEs are selected late(unless they do both), even Ebron, who went in the first, isn't a great blocker. For the Jets, getting people that can catch the ball and power through for extra yardage is an exponentially larger need than finding more blockers. Our run game was just fine last year and should be even better. You really think they'll be stacking 8-9 in the box, with Amaro, Cumberland, Kerley, CJ, Shaq and Decker all out there? I don't get why you think TEs can't be taught to improve their blocking or why having a TE that isn't the best blocker is going to encourage stacking the box. Personally, I feel that the opposite is true. When there are several receiving threats out there at once, they aren't going to be stacking the box unless Geno plays terrible this year and doesn't improve anything.

MM is salivating right now thinking of the upcoming talent he has to work with and the competition at WR.

#76 Barcs, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. FlashGordon

Let's go with...starting lineup with a multi-year career. It's irrelevant, really, because I'm not trying to argue that paying attention to late-round picks is pointless. In fact, I'm excited to see what Quincy Enunwa can do. I'm also interested in the idea of Jordy Nelson playing for the Jets next year. You're the one that seemed to indicate we can only think about one or the other.

18. MaximusD163

I'm not saying you can only think about 1 or the other, but you guys are clearly more excited about free agents a year from now than the guys we have on the roster, and we don't even know what they might be. BTW, according your definition, Jeremy Kerley didn't "amount to anything."

19. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Aside from taking a shot at another qb, I think that Pryor was probably the best pick we could've made in the 1st. Amaro was pretty solid in the 2nd. As far as regretting not picking a WR, what do you mean? Will it cost us the superbowl?!? Had we taken a WR in the 1st, we would be short 2 quality starting dbs. Had we taken a WR in the 2nd, we wouldn't have a solid starting TE. Idzik threw darts at the position which can yield a quality WR. It's not far fetched to think that one of these guys will step up.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  20. FlashGordon

Well, you said it was pointless to think about signing a big Free agent WR. I don't think it is. You're acting like that means I've given up on Shaquelle Evans.

To be clear, I disagree with the OP. I'm fine with how we approached WR in the Draft. I also think that, out of 2 4's and a 6. if we can get one long-term contributor out of that group, we'll have done well. Even if two of them reach their potential, does that mean there's no room for Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant next year?