Someone justify the Boyd pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexicanJet, May 10, 2014.

1. Lindy17

Lindy17 New Member

I went to SC . I have no beaf after a kid leaves Clemson to play but watched every game since my wife is a Clemson fan. Obviously, things can change and you get better coaching in NFL, but he's got issues. The kid folded when pressured every single time. He threw so many short passes to Watkins too. He would look good at times but can't go through reads. Chad Morris the OC has a big time gimmicky offense.

74 likes this.
  2. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

How does that last sentence relate to the rest of your post? Taking someone in the 6th round of the draft is unprofessional?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If you want to complain how about picking a 7th rounder in the 3rd. Letting the Saints get Cooks. There is justifiable complaints. Tahj in the 6th is not one.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Oh...so I guess Idzik wants to give away money and nobody scouted Boyd? Rex's son is suddenly influencing how the Jets sign players? I extremely doubt it. This pick was done as professionally as all the others and Boyd got his chance based on talent/skill. Nobody gets signed for the fun of it.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

We took a developmental QB in the 6th round. I don't see what's the problem.

6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

4 QB's now? What a circus.

7. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

3 black Qb? Idzik is a racist!

8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Holy fucking shit is how shocked I'd be. There's no way, but I do like the pick. Even our backup QB position has competition.

9. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Lol yeah I'm there with you, I actually didn't like the Boyd pick too much but I'm biased against Boyd.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but that's absolutely untrue. You don't come up big in bowl games and win if you fold under pressure every time. You either have a Clemson prejudice or just don't like the kid for whatever reason. That's fine. No one said you had to like him, but don't make up shit to try to make your point. It ain't flying here.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Mr. Green Pants

At one point during the past college football season, there was talk that Boyd could be a first round pick and now folks have their knickers in a twist 'cause the Jets took a flyer on him in the sixth? Yeesh. I'll bet half the people bitching about this pick will be clamoring for him to start if there are issues with Vick and Geno this season.

12. MaximusD163

I think Simms is probably going to be on the street after training camp, but he showed enough promise that another team will definitely pick him up. having Boyd as the 3rd string makes much more sense as he has a similar skill set to Geno and Vick, in that they are all mobile guys with big arms. Vick is a one year rental, and if Geno develops well it will be smart to have a viable backup in Boyd that doesn't require Marty to mess with his system. I think Simms has a good chance to go somewhere else and develop, and maybe start a few games in a year or two.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Because someone whose livelihood is dependent on the players he chooses preferred him over the players some internet blowhard who has nothing at stake prefers.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Correction: should've taken a punter. Folks had a Pro Bowl-level year, is one more year removed from his hip labrium injury, and whose contract was just extended. Quigley, nice kid that he is, hasn't a big NFL leg -- the Jets could use an upgrade there.

Jets have to be the 1st team with a QB named Tajh : )

And imho, more interesting lower round picks this year compared to last year (2013: no 4th…5th: Aboushi, 6th: Campbell, 7th: Bohanon).

#74 joe, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

first of all, I really enjoyed watching Tajh play in college. don't mistake me for hating him, I have my concerns about him at the next level

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/tag/_/name/tajh-boyd
    "Since 2011, no BCS-AQ quarterback threw more passes or had more completions from a shotgun or pistol formation than Boyd."

that's why I don't like him, ok. If we are running a pure pistol then fine, he'll at least be a good backup to have and is a guy who can step in and have his moments. but as of now, he's not a guy that's going sit back in the pocket and win you games on his own and I do not think a pure pistol offense is the way we should be going about building our team.

my point is that if we are going to go with a 6 foot nothing QB in the 6th round, Connor Shaw is better. He can scramble just as well if not better but he is a good pocket passing QB as well. He can read defenses. Shaw only had 1 interception last year. Boyd averaged 12 a year for the last 3 years. Against the better college teams it was almost a guarantee that Boyd would throw one or two interceptions, that does not project well for the NFL where every defense will be far superior to anything he's seen in college.

edit: Just looked back at the stat sheet. Of all the rated QB's in this draft class, the only players that had a higher interception per attempt rate than than Boyd were Taylor Martinez of Nebraska and Drew Allen of Syracuse, both of who probably wont even sniff a practice squad. Martinez played all season with a broken foot and Drew prior to this year had 30 pass attempts total in four years.

#75 74, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
    hiker likes this.
  16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Before the draft there were rumors that Rex told Boyd he'd select him. Boyd even said that on TV when he was interviewed after the pick. There's a personal relationship there. Rex's son is a Wr at Clemson. Was that the reason Boyd was selected. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

i also would greatly prefer the 3 mentioned (with Mettenberger 1st) but if you want a justification: he probably fits better to step in as a backup to the 2 QBs above him in the depth chart, while those guys are more traditional pocket passers...... and it was the end of the 6th rd. It wasnt those guys, but it wasnt a bad pick

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen a 6th round compensatory pick that required justification. I still haven't, honestly. This thread is just more hot air.

talisaynon and stinkyB like this.
  19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

This entire forum is hot air. What's your point.

20. MaximusD163

In the final draft press conference Rex admitted Boyd was his allotted pick. Honestly that's just fine with me, throw Rex a bone with a 6th round comp pick of his choice, we have 11 other picks. I think if Boyd shows some development he's the perfect backup QB for 2015 when Vick walks.