Grade the Jets 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by irishwhip03, May 10, 2014.

?

Grade the Jets 2014 Draft

1. A

23.7%
  2. B

39.2%
  3. C

15.5%
  4. D

13.4%
  5. F

8.2%
  1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

"C" for me.

Love the Pryor, Amaro, and Dozier picks. Aside from those three, I'm a little bit disappointed.

3. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize what a steal Trevor Reilly was! My pre-draft magazine had him rated as the 5th best OLB in the draft, and 46th best prospect overall! That means they viewed him as a 2nd round talent, and we got him in the 7th round, that's crazy! Tajh Boyd was great value also; for what it's worth, I saw him rated as the #1 overall QB prospect, and possible top 5 overall pick, about a year ago. I was disappointed we didn't draft Brandon Coleman, Ahmad Dixon, or Marcus Roberson late in the draft, but every other team passed on them multiple times also. Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Davante Adams, Martavis Bryant, and TJ Jones would have been better choices than any of the WRs we took imo, so I think Idzik whiffed at WR, but then again only time will tell.

After analyzing this draft a little more though, I think it deserves a solid B. Would have been an A if we got Marqise Lee, or if we didn't pass on so many better prospects in the 3rd/4th round area, but overall a solid haul. Not as good as last year's draft, but not bad either, can't complain too much.

#43 Truth4U2, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Westhoff said we needed to draft a doctor in the 4th round after the McDougle pick

74 likes this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I almost went with purple triangle but decided on stick figure because.

MoWilkShakes likes this.
  6. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

1. Calvin Pryor - B- I'm sorry. Gotta go receiver here IMO. Cooks was sitting there in our laps. Solid player though. Looking forward to seeing him hit someone in Rex's D. We needed a safety
    2. Jace Amaro - B- Deep receiver draft and we STILL didn't get one. I was disappointed. But Amaro does seem like he'll help our offense.
    3. Dexter McDougle - B I REALLY liked this pick for some reason. This kid is a ball hawk and a playmaker. Can't give a A grade because of his injury and lack of final year tape.
    4. Jalen Saunders - C+ He seems a lot like Ford and Kerley to be honest but in the 4th round on down, if you can get a playmaker, I'm cool with it.
    4. Shaquelle Evans - C- Just not really impressed with what I saw but we do need receivers. There were a lot of receivers I was more impressed with at this point in the draft.
    4. Dakota Dozier - B Liked this pick. I was thinking around this point we needed an O lineman and this kid was one of the better ones there.
    5. Jeremiah George - B Aggressive backer who seems to really have a lot of drive. I think most wanted Skov in this round or even the 4th.
    6. Brandon Dixon - C+ I wanted us to go with Desir a little earlier. This kid has pretty good size and speed. This late, as Polian said, you can start picking based on numbers so I get this.
    6. Quincy Enunwa - B- I wanted us to go with Brandon Coleman and he went undrafted. This kid is another guy with good size. Looks very strong.
    6. IK Enempkpala - D Didn't like this pick at all. This dude just looks slow and stiff in the video I've seen of him.
    6. Tajh Boyd - B I liked this pick. I get why others don't but it's a 6th round pick and we got a guy who's made big plays in big moments at the QB position. A year ago, people would be thrilled.
    7. Trevor Reilly - B Tough guy who has solid ST player/ situational backer written all over him.

I gave us a C+ overall. Mainly because I was absolutely pissed we didn't go offense yet again in the 1st. We got receivers but none appear to be #1's which is what we really need most IMO. Definitely not a terrible draft by all means. There were some teams I really were looking at like "wtf?" I don't why but I really liked the McDougle pick. Maybe because I live near College Park now and I watched a few Maryland games early on in the year. I know it's early and "we'll just have to see." Nobody will have it 100% right but the whole point of sports forums is to discuss, speculate and voice your opinion right? What the heck. It's fun to play GM...at least to me.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I voted A because I'm an optimist. I would've gone A- had it been an option.

Really liked the Pryor and Amaro picks, and the rest of the picks seemed to be pretty solid or filed a need.

Pretty satisfied with this draft overall.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the mangold one or the revis one?

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Lol that sounds so much like him I could hear his voice when I read it.

10. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

I said C...not awful, not fantastic. Strictly average. I like the Pryor pick and Amaro should be a solid TE but the fact is we needed offensive playmakers, this draft was deep in that department and we didn't make a splash. There were better WRs available than the two we drafted today. Dissapointing

11. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

we failed on the mcdougle pick, overall i feel like we had solid 1st and 2nd round picks and then everything afterwards is shaky

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I gave the draft as a whole a B, there were a lot of chances to hit home runs in rounds 3-7 but the team played it safe for the most part. But, as I always say, we won't know how good or bad the draft was for 3 years or so. Everything that follows is just a fans initial feeling on the draft, it means nothing beyond that.
    Pryor A I can't really argue with this pick, his physicallity worries me for flag reasons but he's a solid pick.
    Amaro A The Tight end position is changing in the NFL, receiving skills are becoming more important than blocking ability. Amaro brins WR skills to the TE position.
    McDougle B Nothing wrong with him, but I feel he was a real reach in the 3rd, especially when you consider the other players on the board at the time.
    Sanders B He has great potential but I honestly feel there were better WR options on the board at the time.
    Shaq Evans B See Sanders for my explanation.
    Dakota Dozier A+ Fantastic value at this point in the draft. I figured he'd be off the board in the 2nd, 3rd at the latest.
    George ILB. C+ there were at least 3 better options at ILB in my opinion.
    Dixon B+ (this is actually a homer grade, reality it's probably a B- to B, but he played for my Alma Matta).
    Enunwa B+ Good value at this point in the draft
    Enemkapli A- Good value at this point.
    Tajh Boyd, A+. He'll most likely be a backup in his career but at this point in the draft he's a steal for potential since he had been in the running in 2013 to be a top 10 pick)
    Reilly B+ great value but there were better LB choices on the board IMHO.
    These grades are preliminary and just from a fans point of view, they mean nothing as to how good the player will or won't be in realyt, just a fans perspectrive.

13. BleedGreen89

Its just really fuckin disappointing not to come away with a stud WR

14. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

You have no idea if any of the 3 guys can start and contribute.

You also have no idea how many of the top WRs of this class are "studs".

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I can't even count how many times I said leading up to the draft that we would most likely have a WR corp based on competition, and wouldn't have drafted a top WR. I figured we go defense with at least 2 of our top 3 picks. Saunders and Evans are both decent guys who have a lot to offer in terms of competition, and with a run heavy offense WR just wasn't premium value as one of our top picks.

16. BleedGreen89

Dude dont play that if game of course anyone can be a star and anyone can be a bust Im saying it's disappointing we didn't get one of the top guys

17. Over & Out

Over & Out Active Member

Why doesn`t everyone wait and see what kind of $$$$$$$$ these guys get first? There is just no way anyone can grade the draft until we see who or how many of these picks even make the roster. Right now, I grade it an I (incomplete).

18. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I'll just throw this in here. This guy doesn't deserve his own thread:

Brian Costello 2h
    An unnamed Jets beat writer just got in his car to drive home. #weak

Br4d and 74 like this.
  19. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Everybody knew he was a sleazeball anyway now he doesn't honor his bets either.

74 likes this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I gave the jets draft a C. Liked the first two picks (Pryor and Amaro) although I would have taken Cooks in round 1. The last two picks Boyd and Reilly were absolute steals in the late rounds for the jets and great value. Boyd could be a real weapon. The middle was pretty boring and I don't think those guys are much more than special teamers if that. But the jets blew a great chance in round 3 when they reached for McDougle and passed on massive OG Gabe Jackson. I was hoping at the start of round 3 the jets would trade UP for Jackson--the guy is an absolute mauler and just what our OL needs. I was shocked when they passed on Jackson and reached (big time) for Dex. Oakland took Jackson the very next pick (as I thought they would). I don't think ANY of the WRs the jets picked will see much time either.

74 likes this.