We're going to regret not taking a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, May 10, 2014.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with the OP. Sucks we couldn't trade up to get Lee. Missed on a few good WRs and then in the 3rd to reach for a CB nobody knows about over some relatively good WRs. The pool of talent is getting pretty weak now. I hope we draft two WRs in this round to kind of salvage the ignoring of it to this point.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

We don't have a top tier QB so there really isn't a need to build a top tier offense. We have a top defensive mind in Rex - keep giving him the ingredients he needs to cook up top defenses.

MM has more than he had last year - it's pretty much a given that our offense will be much improved.

Not drafting a WR in the top 3 rounds is nothing to be dramatic about. Especially since we've added a receiving threat in Amaro.

hornblower and Royce Parker like this.
  3. "My Favorite" is Martin

Its a shame we missed out on some of the more highly touted WRs. Idzik tried to trade up to take Lee, but it just didn't happen. But Amaro isn't a terrible compensation prize. Perhaps the Jets plan on taking fliers on a handful of WRs today. They also have plenty of trade eligible picks to move up in the draft and secure the guys they want (although I wish they had leveraged those earlier). I understand why some people are upset, but I think its too early to pass judgement.

4. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

That is very debateable. Peyton Manning makes anyone look awesome. Decker wasn't that great with Tim Tebow throwing the ball to him so lets see how he does without Peyton behind center.

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's not about have a "true number 1". The goal is to acquire talent. The Seahawks are a great example of that (even without Percy).

6. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I'm not stressing about not getting a WR yet...Rounds 4-6 is where we can do some damage. Deep WR draft this year...finding those with the talent will be the test. I have confidence in Idzik. I'm sure Morningweg is salivating at the WR list for today's rounds.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Well yeah, of course it also depends on Geno's progression. I mean Mark Sanchez turned Kerley into a gem, did he not? It's not always just the QB. Either the WR can get open and make big time moves or he can't. The QB just has to get him the ball while he's open.

8. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Maybe..... Just maybe Decker had something to do with his own success? It's called improving! Jesus I get tired of everyone saying Decker was a Peyton creation! Peyton helped I'm sure but it's crazy to basically say Decker isn't worth a shit without Peyton.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jace Amaro says hi. And he is a tight end. He will occupy the soft middle. Which also means WRs will get less of an attention. With Kerley in the mix, if you choose to double Decker, there would be too little people to stop the run.

Seriously - it's hats-on-hats practice. 11x defenders, then Decker takes 2 out [9], Kerley and Amaro takes 1 out each [7]. Defense will have 4 DLs - so Jets O can use 1 to block the LBs in any way they want. [2] Geno is likely a non-factor for sure, but now the options is a. short pass underneath to RB [should be good for 5-6 yards] or b. just run. [Good 5-6 yard production if the defense is all taking off to stop the pass.]

The reality is, the defense will be 1. expecting the run and 2. nobody would be doubled outside or inside. If the receivers [or TE] can win the one-on-one match up, they would have plenty of chance to make name for themselves.

Cotchery says hi. And why name 10? It's not even like every team gets 10+ contributors from 4th round picks and below every draft. Finding one is more than sufficient evidence.

And there is this guy named Cris Carter - he's a hall of a fame WR, that was UNDRAFTED. Wanna go further? How about Andre Reed? Another HoF WR, drafted in 4th round. I could keep going on and on - but I fail to see the point.

[Pierre Garcon was a 6th round pick, if it means anything to you. Like I said, I could keep on going forever. I just don't see why I should.]

You are so sorely mistaken that it's not even funny. Learn the game before ranting stupid shit.

#29 Zach, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  10. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I agree. We have to understand that Decker has been playing in the NFL and knows what's expected. Morningweg is keen on building the WR corps for Geno. Decker has gotten better with play and if the Jets can execute the plays Morningweg puts out, then our offense will be much improved over last. This is no longer Rex's team. He now has his defense, given what we did last season. Now Idzik is making moves to give Morningweg what he needs to balance this team with offense. Getting Jace Amaro is a great start with the second pick. Big TE to fill the gaps and increase RED ZONE options.

I'm happy so far with the draft. We have a ton of picks today to make it even a better balanced team.

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that highly drafted WRs have a really high bust rate. There's a lot of risk there.

hornblower and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  12. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

Abbrederis and Ellington are still attainable. We get these two we are in good shape

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Just curious, anyone know what FA WRs will be available next season?

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

We will know when 'next offseason' starts.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So with Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson and Jace Amaro we're just going to run, run, run?

Sometimes I wonder what people are looking at when they make this kind of prediction. It's like last year when everybody said the Jets were going to win 3 games. If you were looking at the Jets objectively you knew that a Rex Ryan team would never bottom out like that. But the herd said 3-13 and so it became the normal prediction.

I think the Jets offense is going to be better this year than it has been in any year since 2008. World-beating? No. Acceptable production, yep.

hornblower likes this.
  16. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

I want Abbredoris and/or De'Anthony Thomas coming up with these 2 picks early in 4th rd.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Brandon Marshall
    Roddy White
    Wes Welker
    Reggie Wayne
    Jeremy Maclin
    Michael Crabtree
    Nate Washington
    Jordy Nelson
    Hakeem Nicks
    Eddie Royal
    Demaryius Thomas
    Dez Bryant
    Matt Slater
    Sidney Rice
    Kenny Britt
    Arrelious Benn
    Dane Sanzenbacher
    Brad Smith
    Jason Avant
    Brandon Tate
    Nate Burleson
    Santana Moss
    Brandon Lloyd
    Jerome Simpson
    Kassim Osgood
    Robert Meachem
    Torrey Smith
    Greg Little
    Eric Weems
    Domenik Hixon
    Randall Cobb
    Seyi Ajirotutu
    Lavelle Hawkins
    Louis Murphy
    Kevin Ogletree
    Mario Manningham
    Darrius Heyward-Bey
    Damian Williams
    Jacoby Ford
    Kyle Williams
    Mike Thomas
    David Reed
    Josh Morgan
    Brian Robiskie
    Trindon Holliday
    Austin Pettis
    Leonard Hankerson
    Jerrel Jernigan
    Cecil Shorts
    Vincent Brown
    Jonathan Baldwin
    Lestar Jean
    Marc Mariani
    David Nelson
    Stephen Williams
    David Gettis
    Taylor Price
    Kealoha Pilares
    Denarius Moore
    Jeremy Kerley
    Niles Paul
    Dwayne Harris
    Ryan Whalen
    Marcus Easley
    David Ausberry
    Edmond Gates
    Joe Morgan

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Wow now that's a man who's on the ball, thanks!
    I know he gets hurt a lot but damn I'd love Crabtree

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No problem brotha!

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

well said I love the idiots who are crying about WR, don't matter when you have a mediocre QB