If Johnny Manziel is there at 18, would you take him?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DMarsh6, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Would you draft Johnny Manziel at 18?

1. Yes

26.0%
  2. No

74.0%
  1. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

Pretty fair and accurate assessment of the situation. Although I know it's unlikely, it's still POSSIBLE as you and others have made clear. I personally think the only locks for QBs are JAX and MIN and I see your second and third scenarios as real possibilities. I think JAX goes with Bortles and MIN goes with Bridgewater. I think Cleveland might think they have something in Hoyer or would rather take someone that fell/middle round project.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has seen draft day but I thought it was really weird that they made (SPOILER ALERT, SPOILER ALERT) the players have such similar names. An OLB prospect with the last name Mack? An incumbent vet QB with the first name Brian? The movie was made last year so they couldn't have known who would be such important players for Cleveland, so I guess it's just coincidence.

3. MaximusD163

Based on the draft value chart (which of course isn't perfect) We could probably swing a trade where we give Cleveland our 1st, 2nd, and 6th for their 1st, 2nd, and 4th. Theoretically we could almost ensure Kelvin Benjamin in the first, Bradley Roby in the second, and then we'd have a 3rd and 4 4th round picks.

4. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I definitely would be ok with this except I'm not the biggest Kelvin Benjamin fan. To be fair though, I did not see him play much though. I just am not a fan based on reports that he's more of a project then a sure fire thing. I've even seen him rated as a third rounder. As far as Roby that would be fantastic. A really crazy thing would be if Cleveland took Watkins 4th overall, Manziel slid to us and we traded with CLE for their 26th pick plus josh gordan and a 4th for our 18th and a sixth or some crap lol It's definitely outrageous but I could dream

5. MaximusD163

Yeah there is no chance in hell they'd do that lol. If they'd even consider trading Gordon we'd probably have to give up our first and we'd get him and a 3rd back. Personally I'd rather not, but we'd basically be giving up our first for Gordon. They'd end up with 3 1sts, but if they walked away with Waktins at 4, Manziel at 18, and Shazier at 26 they would probably like that, and we'd walk away with Gordon and no first round picks. Just remember that's basically choosing between a WR who could miss an entire season with 1 more marijuana rap and a first round selection, whether it's Benjamin or not.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There are lots of Mocks where Manziel falls to Cleveland at 26. Here is today's WalterFootball Mock where Manziel goes to the Browns at 26. There is a pretty good chance that either Bridgewater or Manziel drops to the 2nd round if not both. Last year the so called experts had Geno going in the top 5 the week before draft day.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't think the jets will select him and I don't want him, the jets at this point probably feel good about having Vick for a year and they are probably comfortable with geno and the progress he made at the end of the year. While he did not light it up, he stopped forcing passes into double coverage and started extending the play with his legs.

I think they will stick to their plan and go BPA, WR, OL, CB.

I do believe that they will select a QB in the later rounds if there is one available.

8. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

shameless bump to put in the face those that said no shot manziel would be there at 18 saying literally impossible

9. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

You know your stuff.

AJW likes this.
  10. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

There's a reason everybody is passing on Manziel. He's one of these college option QBs that just doesn't translate to the NFL. So many QBs win the Heisman and then flop in the NFL, if they even get drafted. Manziel is one of those type of QBs.

11. Eat Man

Eat Man New Member

LOL at all the internet "gurus" completely blowing this one. Explain again why there's no chance Manziel will get near 18.

The Uniform Bomber and AJW like this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Paging Doctor Falco...Doctor Falco, please pick up the green courtesy phone...paging Doctor Falco...

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

haha..yeah me and 100 million other people and of course that was said almost a month ago long before his big slide began.

#33 Don, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    AJW likes this.
  14. Chris St. John

Wisdom is knowing what you don't know. Some people don't understand this.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Manziel was an option QB in college?

And winning the Heisman is causation for flopping in the NFL?

Hey thanks!

_

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great call!!!!

17. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

Haha thanks man, was pretty dead on

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Br4d likes this.
  18. JStokes

If I'm the Browns, I take Lee 3rd pick in the second round and surround him with even more talent. If I'm an NFL franchise and I take a QB to be the face of my downtrodden team, I give him all the tools he needs to be successful.

_

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They almost have to now. Gordon may be out for a year.

20. JStokes

Just posted that in the Gordon thread. Gotta be.

_