Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

This thread just keeps getting note ridiculous and hilarious. Rex is the guy who so many of you will feel anger towards if we draft a CB tonight. But many the same posters have said here and in other threads that Idzik is in charge!!! Oh wait, so Idzik will throw Rex a bone and let him control the 1st round pick this year??? Oh yea that makes total sense. Hey guys ... If the Jets draft a CB tonight it's an Idzik decision my little brainiacs .... Period. He's the GM he stamps the picks he is the final voice period. Stop it. Leave Rex alone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you honestly think Rex doesn't have an impact on the GM selecting CB and DL in the first every year? It's just a coincidence right? Weird how Rex loves CB's and DL's we always seems to pick them.

Obviously head coaches, including Rex, have significant influence on the draft boards.

3. heartpumpsgreen

What is probably most appaulling to these ppl is that the Idzik fanboys are terrified that he will make a pick that they have been saying for months they would absolutely be in disagreement with ... So the next best thing is to blame Rex. Ha. You guys are a joke on this topic ... Good entertainment.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you care to address the points being made or are you just going to make straw man arguments and insults about the straw man arguments to people who you don't agree with?

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The guy wants to pump his chest and sound relevant.

He forgets to mention that, there's a lot of people in the GMs ear that could influence that decision. I hope the draft room doesn't have Rex in it, the less drama the better. I love the guy but man he gets overly excited, in the draft you don't have time for that.

6. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Whats the thought process that a DB 1st round would be a bad pick if a top saftey or CB is there it would make sense to take em

7. heartpumpsgreen

And I'm guessing you know this about Rex in the draft room because you have been there to see the excitement distract everyone else??

:)

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Trolling hard

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

He does not play the outside.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Another thing I want to vent about ... there is an idea that has been floating around on this site all off season that is aggravating to me.

Just because someone agrees, or maybe more so doesn't disagree, with something that John Idzik does or does not do does not inherently make them an "Idzik Fanboy" or "Idzik Apologist" or whatever asinine inherently derogatory term you come up with at the time.

IMO while we're starting to get an idea of what Idzik is about it's still too early to judge Idzik one way or another. So while I may agree with how he approached one thing or another I certainly am not sold on him as a GM or to put it in more juvenile terms, an "Idzik Fanboy".

It seems like nothing more a lazy way to avoid addressing the actual argument most of the time to me.

#530 NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What's your point? I just said he's one of the better nickel backs in the league. By definition they're not on the outside, at least not usually.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm kind of partial to "FO Homer", myself.

13. Big Blocker

Heh. You are really awful at this. The issue you raised initially is not whether you ONLY blame Rex. The issue is you said you would not be a Rex fan anymore if they go Cb in the first round.

I have my issues with Rex. But I don't think it is his fault the Jets now have a gaping hole at starting cb.

14. Big Blocker

Read the previous posts in this thread.

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

A lot of semantics here...

Of course they can improve during their rookie year, if you want to focus on the phrase "down the road", its really broad to me in this case. My point was simply that our apparent need to step up our secondary may not benefit from a high choice when we play our tough as hell opening stretch and that drafting a CB to be an instant contributor meant to be an ace of some sorts against these teams is asking for trouble.

This doesn't mean a CB can't contribute in their rookie year at ALL, just that they will need time, however much, to get their sea legs as it were and can't be relied upon to be an instant upgrade over the corners we have now with less upside but more experience.

there seems to be a theory I've seen among the media that the jets should draft a corner because they play tough offenses like those from the NFC north and Rex's defense is impotent without elite corners, which of course assumes we can get one from the draft in a plug and play scenario.I disagree on all accounts, and hope thats NOT the reason they draft a CB but rather so that they have youth and high potential at the position for years to come.

upside, not instant impact, and no thats not because they can't improve out the gate but because it won't likely occur vs the teams many are so afraid of when they look at the current roster in our secondary. we could get lucky, but its a gamble, I just don't want Idzik to bank on something like that, which he shouldn't since he won't draft for need.

abyzmul likes this.
  16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Some people don't want to draft a safety or CB because they don't want Rex to get his way again. Always defense. But secondary is an area for improvement and it makes sense if one of the top four Dbs in this draft is available at overall select one of them. I'd have no problem with it at all. I wouldn't trade up to get one of them. And I think Patterson is going to be ok.

#536 pclfan, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  17. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

The fact that people argue back and forth about who to blame (or congratulate) for particular draft picks is pointless. Unless someone involved in the process publicly states that a particular person was responsible for making the decision, who the hell knows?

We all know that Rex is a Defense-first kind of a guy but to assume that if this year's 1st rounder is on defense that Rex must be responsible is pure conjecture. People use this stuff to take shots at Idzik or Rex to prop up their own theories but unless it's coming from the horse's mouth it just doesn't hold water.

What I would hope is that the guy pulling the trigger is taking input from as many people as possible leading up to and during the draft and utilizing all of the resources they have available to make the best choice. I have a hard time envisioning the scene that some people paint of one guy basically making an executive decision that goes against the general concencus so he can have "his guy".

I'm sure those kinds of things do happen but I would hope that they would be the exception. I think it's most likely that Idzik and Rex both have a lot of pull on draft day and I think it's folly to assume that one guy or the other is responsible for a pick based soley on who the pick is. JMHO...

18. Big Blocker

Listen, Bub, I think I know what I am and am not doing when it comes to my choice of words. I merely pointed out that you drew this distinction of down the road and compared it to immediate benefit, but implied that down the road was in coming seasons. Or so your post implied, perhaps unintentionally. But even a cb like Milliner who struggled so badly early last season improved before the end of the year, and I think would have been much better than someone like Walls going into the playoffs (if the Jets had made them).

I understand the concern about the early stretch. But it's not a pure choice between concern about the early stretch and concern about future seasons. There is the rest of next year, and I think the reasonable prospect of the playoffs.

Walls will be a 4th year player. In 3 seasons he has yet to crack the starting lineup. As these things go we have pretty much seen his upside, and we have good reason to believe it is not what we could expect, even in the coming year, compared to a first round pick and how that player could reasonably expected to perform. Like Milliner. Walls is a bench player and unlikely to develop into a starter.

Ftr while I prefer filling Cb first at this point, given the available talent at wideout, I will understand if BPA at the 18th pick leads the Jets to go for a receiver. But that still leaves a hole at the corner. The Jets may fill it in some other way, but as of right now the best way to fill it would be with Dennard at 18.

19. heartpumpsgreen

Mike Westhoff on ESPN radio 98.7 right now dropping knowledge.

He is of the very strong opinion that if either Dennard or Gilbert are there Jets gotta draft them and could even trade up a few spots for then. He loves Dennard as do ALL the reputable analysts I've heard this week.

His thinking is the same as some of ours over here ... Draft is deep at WR u can get a guy in 2nd or 3rd round. After Dennard and Gilbert it's downhill and Jets have a specific need for CB help now. He also mentioned that early onslaught of games against high flying pass offenses as a factor. His opinion definitely validates some of ours on this side of the debate. Love Westhoff he knows his stuff.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You love him and he knows his stuff when it falls into what you want right? ;)

Just messin with ya!