Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if the Jets go OLB in this draft. Who sits down? Pace or Coples? And yes I am all for getting more depth at LB, but with holes at the starting positions at wideout and Cb, I don't see them going OLB with either the first or second round picks.

I also don't see FS as a bigger need than either Wr or Cb. Landry and Allen may be a below average pair, but they are both better than anyone currently on the roster at wideout behind Decker and Kerley, and at Cb behind Milliner.

Safety is a problem, I agree. But I would rank OL higher than OLB.

The Jets can be a playoff contender THIS YEAR if they can fill their holes at starting wideout and cornerback. Why draft a player to sit in the first or second rounds? Yes, if the Jets feel BPA in effect requires a different approach due to a possible dearth of talent when they pick, they may go in a different dirction, and Qb remains a wild card for them in this draft, too. But absent some sort of anomaly, the Jets will be best served by going Cb and Wr in the first two rounds.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

It would suck but I'd accept it if all other options are off the board and the CB is too good to pass up.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think we trade for one before we draft one in the 1st again this year. Low risk move and buys a year to see if Patterson can stay on the field. What would be better than to trade the 4th we got from Tampa for an unproven CB who becomes a budding star?

#483 Don, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  4. The 1985er

OLB has been a need since the mid 2000's. Now we're in the mid 2010's. It needs to be addressed. We have more talent at CB than we do at OLB. Milliner, Wilson, Walls, Patterson, Lankster, Patrick, Dowling is better than Coples, Pace and McIntyre.

FS has been a need since Rhodes got the boot. I'm sick of playing two SS's at the same time. This defense needs a guy that offenses has to gameplan for. Allen is solid and he's going to get better but if we can pair him up with a legit FS that would make the secondary better.

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm hoping the Jets starting looking at CBs starting round 3 or so. Round 3 isn't a late rounder - more-so a mid round pick, but the evidence is still there you can find a quality CB later in the draft (3 and onward). You don't have to go CB in the first 2. That's all I'm saying.

Linebackers and free safeties we need talent there

6. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Sorry man but Big Blocker totally owned you with his breakdown of cbs drafted. I haven't seen ownership like that since George Steinbrenner. Your point of "later round starting quality cbs" was completely annihilated by Big Blocker.

Carry on.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

7. Big Blocker

You left Barnes off the list of LB's. Did I miss something? It wouldn't be the first time. Heh. But as for Cb, most recognize Wilson is set at nickel corner, and is not acceptable on the outside. Walls? Walls is better than Coples or Pace? Please. You're entitled to your opinion, but that's about all I can say for it. Coples is a first round draft pick who came on last season toward the end, and Pace has been brought back after a double digit sack year. I also like McIntyre off the bench, and I think Barnes is coming back, too. Nope, don't see them making a move at OLB.

You may be sick of the way Rex has played his safeties, but I don't think he is. I would agree safety is a concern, but right now I see starters already on the roster. I do not see two starting cb's on the roster.

8. Big Blocker

You keep playing word games. You should read your posts again at least once before you hit the post button. Your previous post called two third rounders later round picks. It wasn't me who called them that.

But the main point is your key term in your post is "have to". Can you please at least acknowledge that we are talking odds here?

The odds of getting a starting quality cornerback, someone who can start on opening day, go down the further down the draft you go.

It's simple concept.

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I've said this in a different thread, but another pass rusher is just as valuable if not more than an early CB.

"Rex could really use another major threat at linebacker. I would argue that that a Barr or Attaochu is as valuable to the team as a Dennard or Roby, maybe more so. the idea that Rex "needs" elite corners for his defense to work is a lazy narrative among many spit out by the media which underestimates an entire end of what Ryan does with the defense.
    The best thing about having Coples, Richardson and Wilkerson is that they are ALL respected and versatile pass rushing or run stuffing threats that can line up in multiple places on any given play, bringing a beneficial unpredictability as to who's going to come after the QB and hopefully a lot of pressure on that same QB.

Now add a Barr to that equation. Damn having a shut down corner, thats just Fuckin scary. we can get away with what we have at corner, especially IF we have the front seven to make their lives easier.

I'd also think an OLB prospect would have an easier time transitioning to the NFL than a CB expected to start immediately would be, especially with more known quantities to take the edge off and learn from like Calvin Pace."

CB is one of the hardest to adjust to potions in the NFL (only behind QB) we cannot rely on a rookie CB to come in immediately and provide better coverage than any other player currently on our roster, not really, the odds of getting that right from the start are slimmer than getting better production from a rookie OLB, at least on a generalized basis.

Just as well we really DON'T need elite corners on both sides to have Rex's defense work, he loves him some quality Corners obviously, but its not a necessity to invest in during the first two rounds, nor or are elite corners something we'll necessarily gain during that time.

thats not to say getting Dennard at #18 would be a bad idea, in the long run it could pay off huge and theres still a chance everything pans out pretty early, but we can't bank on that being an upgrade and in reality I'm not sure theres as big a need to draft at CB over any other position as we all think.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

I already presented corners that had an impact - nitpick all you want but the fact of the matter is, Jets don't need to grab a CB in the first 2 rounds. If all you have against me is the fact that I messed up the late and mid-round (which some of them were drafted mid to late) then you can have your precious "victory" lmao.

lmao @ this cheerleader, the notion that you cannot grab a starting CB late is false - I'm not going to go back and argue that. All have had an impact. That's all I'm saying.

Richard Sherman drafted in the 5th round will become the highest paid CB in the league in a few days as well.

My God, forgot Sherman's other guy Brandon Browner who is now a Patriot, UNDRAFTED.

11. Big Blocker

Yeah I wanted to circle back to this post. Let's be clear about in what way it would be a bad thing.

It would be a bad thing considering where the Jets were entering FA, and what they could have done. But at this point it's the best option in the first round, assuming the team does not trade for a suitable replacement instead. To be clear i rank need there even higher than wideout, if only marginally so. I say that because I rate Nelson higher than Walls. I'd rather start Nelson than Walls.

12. 101GangGreen101

If the Jets get a free safety and a pass-rusher that can generate sacks, no one will give a fuck that Walls is on the other end.

That's all I'm saying.

FJF likes this.
  13. Big Blocker

You really are hopeless. Among other things you are a victim of binary thinking. You really can't get your head around that whole odds thing, can you?

A smart person would have taken the rest of the day off. Or perhaps focused on something else, another thread. A really smart person would acknowledge the error, cut your losses and move on.

Then there are the people who dig themselves into a hole, and keep digging.

I'll leave it to others to say which you are.

14. 101GangGreen101

LOL - what a loser you truly are. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me or you wrong. Go ahead and pray the Jets grab a CB at BPA. I really don't care, I have my own vision of what I hope the Jets can do and that's to become a better all-around team. You go ahead and hope the Jets create the best CB tandem while they get no VLTs.

A smart person, would continue the conversation and not go off-topic. The fact is, you can grab a corner-back mid to late in the draft. I stand by that and I provided examples. You have no idea if they could thrive under Rex Ryan.

Typical Big Blocker move. Pathetic.

15. Big Blocker

Someone should take the shovel away from this guy for his own good.

16. 101GangGreen101

Why? So I don't throw it at the back of your head?

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

guys this is why I want Shazier so bad. He can do it all! He's an OLB but he projects very well as an NFL safety, hell, he is so athletic we could put him at CB if we really wanted to. Total versatility with this guy and he has blazing speed and a motor that doesn't stop. He can cover, blitz, stuff the run, you name it, complete player.

18. Big Blocker

You missed the point yet again.

19. 101GangGreen101

So did you.

I like Shazier too. Depending on what defense we run (3-4, 4-3, etc) there will be a role for him on this team.

When's the last time we had a linebacker get an interception?

20. The 1985er

I forgot Barnes but even still we need an OLB. That's vital for any 3-4 alignment. I'm saying overall we have more solid depth at CB than we have at OLB. CB is not that big of a need to where we have to draft one in the first round. We need a guy that can generate turnovers by roaming the middle/intermediate section of the field. Our CB's don't create turnovers.

74 likes this.