Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

While no one knows what Idzik is going to do, the more time I have had to digest this scenario, I would like it if they went CB at 18.

The elite WRs, LB, OT, TE, will probably be gone by the time the Jets pick comes around, I don't see the top 4 CBs being drafted before the 18th pick hence I agree with your post.

I could see the jets trading up in the second round to get a WR they want and then just settling in and taking BPA not according to need the rest of the draft.

JMO

2. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

Anyone see the recent posts by Ganggreennation and Rant Sports about the possibility of trading with Dallas for Morris Claiborne. The expected value is a fourth, and normally I would think that it might be too little, but Idzik has been a fierce negotiator since he took the job and I think if we could get it done for a fourth it would be a nice move. He is worlds better in the scheme the Jets run as opposed to the scheme the cowboys run. Claiborne won the Jim Thorpe award and was the no. 6 pick in the draft a couple years ago. I think he has a lot of potential and if we could pull that off it would be a nice move letting us use the first on another position. Maybe Ebron because he has been slipping lately in mocks for various reasons.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Looks interesting. Would fill a major need with a young player, not sure a fourth would get it done though. Maybe a 4 & 7 or something.

4. Red Menace

The many injuries of Morris Claiborne
    InjuryDateDetails
    Wrist surgeryMarch, 2012Missed OTAs
    Right MCL sprainAugust, 2012Missed large chunk of camp
    ConcussionDecember, 2012Missed Week 15 vs. Steelers
    Left knee sprainAugust, 2013Missed entire preseason
    HamstringNovember, 2013Missed six games

The guy can't stay healthy, personally I would keep the pick and look for some depth.

5. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

Yeah thats part of the reason he is going for a fourth round pick and not a second. Certainly a risk, but the reward far outweighs this in my opinion: his potential in Rex's scheme is very high.

Definitely a move some people will be for for reasons like that and against for reasons like yours, no right answer. I just think that if it is a fourth its worth the risk because if he does pan out and stay healthy he could be a really big contributor

6. Red Menace

I can see the pros and cons, but the concussion alone would keep me away from him, you just never know how long the side effects will last.

Jmo

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, but is there somebody you can point to that you will take with that 4th round pick that has more potential? After all we have 3 of them.

ccraveiro21 likes this.
  8. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

I'm sure that is something our medical team would probably asses before the trade was completed. I wouldn't be too worried because he only missed one game due to it. It was probably very minor.

#428 ccraveiro21, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  9. Don

10. Red Menace

Don, I don't have enough facts to answer your question and ponying out a player.

However I do trust this new scouting team with Idzik at the helm, and I believe out of all the players they have grouped together for the draft, there is a 4th rounder that can come in and provide us with similar or better productivity, that has a better history of staying healthy.

Jmo

11. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

After signing rookies from this draft the Jets will be able to roll all the unspent money into the Cap next year. The reason for not signing Revis becomes apparent.

12. Don

Isn't it the same scouting team we always had with Bradway at the top? Not that he is bad as scouting goes.

13. Don

They will have over 60 million to spend next year with the rollover, maybe 70.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No. Most of the scouts have been replaced.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You sure about that? I can't remember reading about scouting hires. I'm sure I missed one or two, but if that many were replaced, I think I would have remembered.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Pretty sure. There was a big turnover last may.
    Now,maybe not every single scout is new but the majority is. I think cimini just did a rundown of the new scouts.

#436 FJF, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Why are you so sure? Woody owns the team, and Idzik reports to him. If my boss wants to pursue A, and I want to pursue B, chances are it will be A.

18. Big Blocker

Meh. Teams have different situations. Most teams did not enter the off season with a gaping hole at Cb, as the Pats had when Talib left, and also the Jets for obvious reasons. Most teams that have gaping holes have them elsewhere. We obviously disagree about the importance of your #1 Cb, but even considering my position does not require me to ignore needs elsewhere.

In any event, in a market economy the value of goods or services is represented by what a buyer is willing to pay. By definition Revis obtained that amount since NE is going to pay it to him.

19. Big Blocker

This makes sense to me. I am not counting on any such scenario, but if it came to pass, it would seem to be the best approach for the Jets to take.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cool, I haven't checked out his presser yet. Too bad our shit beat writers didn't consider that newsworthy and decided to just complain through their articles.

FJF likes this.