Computer running slow or need some cleaning? Follow these steps!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Green Dude, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Let me know how it works out. Most of the time when I hear fans sound like that at work, it's because the processor is getting too hot. Occasionally it is the fans themselves. For a while Dell had a defect with their business model machines, that caused them to overheat and sound like Jet airplanes taking off. Sometimes replacing the fan would help, but often we'd have to RMA the motherboard. If you're seeing your total CPU usage jump to 100% when you aren't running any intensive games or other production / rendering type software, it could possibly be because of corrupt files in Windows. Most of the time, it is a cooling issue or problem with the motherboard, but Vista is a royal piece of garbage, so it's hard to say. If you know somebody that has PC knowledge and can install Win7 for you, that's really the way to go, but I would do the following just to rule it out:

1. Hard drive error check (In 'My Computer' right click drive C: and go to tools)
    2. System files integrity check (open a command prompt and type SFC /scannow)
    3. Disk Defrag - I don't remember if Vista does it automatically like 7 does.
    4. Run ccleaner and clean temp files and also do a registry check.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

barcs..never saw this..will try all tomorrow and update you..thanks so much for the info..great stuff!

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Jay, I had a Dell desktop, pretty old that sounded like a motorboat for about a year till the fan failed completely....I nursed it for 3 years by putting a small table fan behind it

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm surprised that Barcs is a helpdesk guy but it makes sense sort of.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

So...anyone running XP having any problems yet?
    My desktop is on XP and so far still runs fine, but at some point I know that drivers will be the likely source of its demise.

6. abyzmul

XP is probably the most stable Windows OS, they usually take about 10 years to make that happen.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Its running so well, much better than my laptop which is windows 7. Its such a shame they decided to can xp.

8. abyzmul

Don't worry, in another five years, Win7 will be very stable. Then 2 years later they will stop supporting it.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Honestly Win7 is just as stable now if not moreso. XP had a good run, it's just not worth it on a PC with 2+ gigs memory, you aren't taking advantage of the hardware. Vista was horrible, so holding onto XP made sense for a while, but Win 7 with SP1 is good and should be fine for years to come. The only reason they made Win8 already was just to milk the smart phone fad while it's hot. It's garbage without a touch screen. The state govt here, finally just got rid of their last XP boxes in my division and we're already way behind the real world with technology, so still running XP today makes no sense unless you're holding onto an old outdated machine that could be replaced for $400 bottom of the line computer that still has at least quadruple the power. Now that there's no more security updates, it's a no brainer to ditch it unless you don't go on the internet.

#629 Barcs, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  10. abyzmul

Eh, I work for a company that employs upwards of 250,000 Win7 machines, and my friends in field maintenance still yearn for the stability of XP, though it could be our proprietary software causing some issues. But yeah, XP is limited in terms of evolution of technology so it only makes sense to move on.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

At first I felt the same way. From what I've seen using enterprise and ultimate 64 bit editions most of the errors we get in the field are the faults of the folks who designed the computer image and put in our drivers. I used to work on the image back when it was XP and that sucker worked great but they refused to promote me, so I stopped volunteering my time. State govt sucks balls. Then, when it came to the Win7 image, those bastards completely ignored my documentation and just winged the whole thing and there were so many problems I wanted to choke somebody. When I wrote them a 2 page email about all the issues, they essentially said they'd look into it, then never fixed them. And then they sent the image to Dell to be deployed on all of our new systems before even letting the field computer techs test it out. I'm probably going to end up just making my own Win7 image for my use only haha.

abyzmul likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hey Boyz, need some tech advice. I'm building a NAS Server and was wondering which is better to use as an OS. Windows Home Server Ver. 1.0 OR FreeNAS. This box's primary job will be to stream HD Video to all my networked devices throughout the house. The specs on this puppy aren't herculean, but they should do the job:

4-3TB WD Green SataIII internal HD's (5400rpm)
    ASUS P55E-Pro Motherboard
    Intel I7-875K proc OC'd to 3.5Gb/s
    Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler
    Corsair Carbide 400R Mid Tower case
    Corsair CX 600M 600W power supply
    Corsair 16gb DDR3-1600 RAM

Optional: Intel 320 160GB SSD

Well, this shouldn't take very long although I'm not used to working with LINUX or UNIX. I'm not real sure I'll need the SSD to run FreeNas either which is why I'm here asking questions..

Any info would be appreciated!
    C

#632 Cman68, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  13. Steelersrule

Steelersrule Member

Once you do Mac......you'll never go Back...............

14. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Super late but windows will make things easier, linux would be cheaper (free). Your cpu is a bit overkill as an i5 will be just fine and wont require a lot of power thus running cooler. Don't need a ssd.

#634 mute, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  15. Cman68

Thanks Mute. As it turns out, I did get this box built with some revisions. Instead of the SSD, I installed FreeNas on a USB stick and I boot from it. The Nas Box works pretty good as long as I work thru the GUI instead of the CLI to set it up. Forgot 1/2 my drive space will be used for redundancy so my 12TB box is really a Raid1 6TB box but that should be fine. I'm in the process now of changing all my HD vid from mp2 to mp4. I go full quality on my BD rips. I'm using the WDTV Live streamer box and its a winner.

I was gonna try out Windows Server Essentials 2012. Loaded it up, but I couldn't get it to become visible on the network without installing clients which defeats the purpose of my WDTV boxes.

Thanks again man!

mute likes this.
  16. john90

john90 Member

what softwares like ccleaner do you recommend?

17. Cman68

Malwarebytes is a good one to use. The paid version is more powerful than the free but the free version is fine for general housekeeping.

18. john90

john90 Member

thanks i will check it... anymore?

19. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Tried to update some of the stuff but I don't meet TGG's new "Likes" requirement? ha

20. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

First build, looking for a opinions on my parts list.

Any computer savvy people want to offer opinions on my parts list? This will be my first build. The purpose for this computer is for editing and streaming. Maybe some gaming. Decided to go with a x99 build because I want to be able to render video quickly. I'm kind of toying with the idea of doing a youtube channel. Primarily Beauty related, Makeup and hair tutorial. IDK, people online can be so cruel. lol Anyway, these are the parts I've selected. What do you guys think? Any changes you would make? I didn't put an ssd because I'm going to take the one from my current computer.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GCWnjX
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GCWnjX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($234.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($198.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($101.47 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($334.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($128.98 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($24.15 @ NCIX US)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Fractal Design R5 ($120.00)
    Total: $1656.52
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 09:05 EST-0500