Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Who said its a transitional year??

Why not take him for the one-year rental and let a top-tier cb from the draft learn from him, and have that youth start next year.

Seems like a much better situation than we have at cb now.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

What it comes down to for me is this. The Patriots are our main division competition, and they have NOBODY threatening on the outside. We already have a #1 CB to match up vs the #1 WR against any other team. Very few teams have a dominant #2 receiver, very very few. Most of them are not even in our conference. So the question is, who exactly are we signing this veteran CB to go up against? The # 2 outside receivers that we are going to go up against are as follows:

Denarius Moore (OAK)
    Jarrett Boykin (GB)
    Alshon Jeffrey (CHI)
    Golden Tate (DET)
    Vincent Brown (SD)
    Emmanuel Sanders (DEN)
    Kenbrell Thompkins (NE)
    Mike Williams (BUF)
    Donnie Avery (KC)
    Markus Wheaton (PIT)
    Mike Williams (BUF)
    Brian Hartline (MIA)
    Greg Jennings (MIN)
    Nate Washington (TEN)
    Brian Hartline (MIA)
    Kenbrell Thompkins (NE)

I didn't include slot WR's because they will primarily be going against Wilson, and Tate is right on the edge of about as much outside snaps as slot.

So who here scares you so badly that a veteran CB is needed to go against these guys? To me the only guys I think could put a hurt on a high pick CB are Jeffrey and Jennings. None of these other guys are so good that we can't put a rookie CB on them and keep them in check. If you're telling me you want to spend the cash on a CB simply for 2 guys who aren't even in our conference, I think that's a waste. A guy like Darqueze Dennard is capable of matching up with any and all of these guys, and I'm not saying we even have to draft Dennard or anything. The point is just that for some reason people think we need a vet CB to match up with a bunch of #2 WR's, and our main divisional rival is even weaker on the outside than most teams.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Yea, but we need a GOOD #1 CB. Milliner hasn't proved a thing yet.

Jets69 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You do know players improve right? And Milliner held his own against Wallace and Josh Gordon (top 5 WR).

Oh I guess in Jetland, players don't improve (when they show promise) and we should look to replace their roles ASAP. Dennard hasn't proved a damn thing in this league.

5. MaximusD163

I disagree that he hasn't proven anything, he has proven that even if the best we get out of him is comparable to the end of the season last year he is still #1 CB quality.

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Just because a lot of players do improve doesn't mean every single one will. I'm just saying let's wait and see what he actually can do before raving about our #1 CB...

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Milliner is probably going to be a good corner for us. I think if you were paying attention you saw he made huge strides the last quarter of the season after looking like he didn't belong prior to that.

I was really sour on him prior to that ... can't really remember a player turning it around so much so quickly.

abyzmul likes this.
  8. MaximusD163

That's why I say this kid has all the talent you can possibly imagine, and he has good technique as well (he did coming out of college) but as a man CB you have to possess all the confidence in the world or you're nothing. That's part of why Rex kept publicly praising him, he knew eventually it would breakthrough to Milliner. It's also why I like Dennard so much, he has the attitude you can't teach.

9. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

BPA is definitely a good approach and would net us more talent overall I believe as you said also. If we only had a small number if picks then I could see them trying to gamble on Drafting a star player but being that we have an abundance of picks BPA is what I hope we do. Richardson was a great pick up for us and a lot of us were scratching our heads about the move. But it worked out well

10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I like Patterson if he's healthy.. Him or Wilson can play the nickle or outside it doesn't really matter they are both good at both spots .. I see no need to go corner first round .. Safety i wouldnt mind im not a fan of the older Landry

11. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

I agree with you

My point from the start was

1. When the season starts, we will have enough cap space for a 1 year contract for revis

2. The #1 corner from last year(according to pff), and our best player on our team in the past decade, went to the pats.

I really am a huge idzik fan.

But if the Pats dominate next season, and perhaps, even win a sb. I am going to look at this ego-fumble by Idzik as probably the main reason why.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I am not a huge Idzik fan but in fairness he may have had no choice with Revis. It was written multiple places that Johnson told him to trade Revis last year because he was sick of dealing with his handlers and he probably still feels the same way.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A 'WR rich draft' simply means you can get a better WR than DB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. If you need both, go DB early. You can get a really good player AND fill your WR needs.

Red Menace and joe like this.
  14. MaximusD163

Signing Revis this offseason would have a direct effect on or ability to sign Wilk to an extension next offseason, I stake my reputation on that claim. That's $12 million right off the cap roll over for 2015 and the it would effect the kind of value Mo would expect the Jets to pay for their top defensive player. The only good thing about a Revis deal is that it was the only 1 year deal given to a top CB, but it just happened to have the biggest cap hit out of any of them as well. If we get quality play out of a rookie CB, it is going to cost us around $10 million dollars than signing Revis. That value is under appreciated. What if we signed Revis to a 1 year deal but the BPA was clearly a CB in round 1? We'd have to have a rookie CB miss out on all that experience because Revis would be paid too much to sit.

15. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

I don't think you understand our salary cap position for next year. The monster David Harris contract end this year. The minimums for brick and mangold would have already been met, so if their play stinks up this year, their contracts can be restructured.

We have a tonnn of space, and virtually no expensive players.
    -------------------------------------

Going into "what if" is just an annoying game that doesn't lead us anywhere.

1. What if mo will takes a huge step back in his game?? What if he tears his acl??
    2. What if the cb we would have drafted is a total bust, and the wr we would have drafted been a stud??

-------------------------------------

You have a huge need(cb), ton of cap space($20 mil+), the best player in the league at the position who thrives in your defensive system(revis), and if you don't sign him you know there is a really good chance he'll go to your rival(pats).

It is very difficult for any objective jets fan to admit we totally didn't screw that up.

16. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

I really don't believe this.

I'm fairly sure johnson gives Idzik full operational freedom. If Idzik really wanted revis, woody would have not gotten in the way.

The fact that we didn't even contact his camp(and 20 other teams did) makes it seem like Idzik was just not interested at all.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I like Patterson too if he's healthy and so does Idzik (giving him $3M), however given his injury history, staying healthy is a big IF. If Dennard somehow fell to #18 and e.g. a Devonte Adams were available in the 2nd at #49, I sure wouldn't mind a Dennard-Adams beginning to the draft. But Dennard's most likely already gone at #18 so you then have to ask yourself the question "is Kyle Fuller worth the #18 pick?" and go from there.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Most GM's have no interest at all in a $12M a year CB. That's par for the course. If it wasn't there would have been a lively market for Revis services and he wouldn't have settled for a 1 year $12M deal.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

We have the most picks if we really think we can land Kyle fuller 2nd round we can make that move... For now I'd rather give geno no excuses to prosper by adding more weapons and if he doesn't we kno QB is still our biggest need

20. MaximusD163

It's not that signing Revis would literally have made it impossible to sign Wilk, and that's not what I said. It alters the circumstances, and basically lowers the Jets' leverage in the situation. If your sitting at $20 mil and you sign Revis, drops us to $8 mil, before the rookies. The Jets rookie class will cost an estimated $7.35 mil in cap space. Great idea, lets go into training camp with .6 mil in available cap space, and give ourselves exactly zero maneuverability throughout the season.