Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I really think we should go Offense in the first round and possibly in the second round as well. Its been way to long that the Jets have had a high impact Offense or even a middle of the pack offense. I know we had Ground and Pound and were a top notch in the running game but I think in today's Offensive scheme we need to be able to put points on the board when it comes to playing the Upper Echelon of Offenses in the league. There is only so much our Defense can do to prevent points from being scored and we wont be pitching shut outs every game.

We need a middle of the Road Offense to match a top notched defense. Too many times over the last couple of years where we would get the ball back through turn over and not be able to score a point or settle for 3 pts. Its time we switch it up and be known as a good Offense. Though I wouldn't be mad if we select a CB or Safety in the 1st Round we do need to address the offense this year so we can mold young and new talent for the future and at a respectable cap friendly price. This Draft is loaded with Talent at WR this year and we need an instant impact player who can come in and immediately contribute and not have to wait for production.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

*eagerly awaiting the Big Blocker copout*

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Last time I offered legitimate proof to him that would have ended an argument, he said he refused to read it because it was "homeristic crap." He did not offer any counterpoints to any of that material, and now he just hates me and anytime I reply to a post of his, he says the mere fact that I disagree with him makes him more confident in his opinion. Lol.

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

After watching this team for so many years now I have to disagree. This team has burned themselves so many times by reaching for overhyped talent in the draft.

As much as I do agree with you that drafting offense early makes sense, I just don't want to see them stray from a BPA philosophy in order to appease a need. I think the Richardson pick last year proves just how well things can work out when you go BPA, even when there isn't a huge need at the position. Hopefully Idzik follows the same line this year.

If they can find a guy on offense that's definitively worthy of their first round pick I'm all for it, but if they wind up passing up the next Sheldon Richardson for a middling WR just because it's seen as a bigger need, nobody's gonna be happy.

tanknyc likes this.
  5. abyzmul

My post was rhetorical, actually. I know his routine, have destroyed him in arguments and have been put on his ignore list.

Basically, I am spreading the word that he is worthless to argue against. When he realizes that he can't argue against someone, he gets into personal things and puts them on ignore. Just continue watching the exchange with JetBlue, it's textbook.

He's a lightweight. He knows very little about football but tries to distract from that by writing 10 paragraph posts to confuse people by putting them to sleep.

And has the nerve to tell people what cred they have, lol. Funny shit to read.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I don't think upgrading the secondary is as necessary as it seems, especially if they attain another pass rushing element for rex to play with.

I won't be upset if they DO pick a corner (well, maybe a little) since it may pay off in dividends as time goes on but the notion that Ryan ABSOLUTELY needs top of the line corners on both ends is ridiculous to me. Just as well how good will that rookie corner be anyhow? thats a tough position to adjust to, its not like we're getting Revis by picking Gilbert or something.

Now thats not to say drafting CB is a bad idea, while I'm sure Walls, Peterson, Wilson and Milliner can do the job this season but we do need a wee bit more youth and stability on that end. Its just not something we NEED to have in order for our D work correctly, the tales of our desperation at CB are greatly exaggerated.

FS is weird, we have a couple of solid starting SS in Allen and Landry I guess, but more raw ball hawking ability would be a plus, especially if they can learn from Reed for a couple months. (hope he comes back)

there aren't any big needs at one position thats above all others from the look of it, we could use a boost at almost every position to make it a humongous strength, but with the idea that we have a ALOT of picks late that can round out the cast I'm not afraid of missing out on position or another, especially not CB.

KurtTheJetsFan and The 1985er like this.
  7. abyzmul

Great post. I'm around the same place as you are, for the most part. There are areas of concern, but there is enough talent to compete at every area. That allows the FO to find the best talent available when their pick comes up.

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

idzik made that comment a week BEFORE we signed patterson

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Ok, so then you are another one that thinks we won't sign a CB early.

10. All Gas No Shake

actually, he established that your posts were irrational and then called opined that you are a hysteric ... big difference

@JetBlue, i dont know where you find the patience to continue to respond to this dude

11. All Gas No Shake

i was merely pointing out that your post was, per usual, misleading

but your assumption is correct, i dont want the jets to draft another cb early. however, i wouldnt be against it if there was great value in the second round ... like others have stated, i would prefer to draft a fs early

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It's a fun distraction in between doing actual work.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Putting aside your irrelevant comment about the simpleminded...

You can't seem to understand moving from the specific to the general. The general here is the lack of talent at CB. The fact that the Jets did not sign Revis is not in and of itself something that amounts to tanking the season. I never said that and you know it. But it was a situation, among several others, that could have been used to address the situation at cb.

What would be evidence of tanking the season depends on the overall situation, not one instance of failing to sign a single player. Everyone knows this.

In any event, since you did not criticize Mezzavo's post, and it did lay out a general concept of how, IN GENERAL, tanking the season to build up cap space is an overrated concept. Which I agree with and said. And which you misread into a continuation of your singleminded focus on the Revis situation. (I could substitute an additional m for the n in that adjective and be entirely fair, but I won't.)

The Jets in fact can and I think are more likely to make another move at CB than not. So I was not even accusing them of tanking the season in the first place. I don't think they will.

What I was arguing against is your complacent attitude, shared here by other FO Homers, that if the Jets do not make moves in the remainder of the off season in hopes of maximizing cap space next year, that is a good thing with no downside. I don't think that is a good thing, because you can't turn competitiveness off and on.

But of course you would rather relitigate the Revis situation. You'll have to argue with yourself about that one, since I merely referred to it as a situation where the Jets could have addressed their problem at Cb but didn't even make a phone call.

But keep on calling my posts pathetic, hysterical, and other pejoratives. Your cred here is comatose.

14. Big Blocker

Message board allies are overrated. Your cakehole buddy there eventually will embarrass you more than you should be already.

15. Big Blocker

LMAO!!! How was he being misleading if what he said was correct?

16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I was trying to get the same point across in another thread, a bunch of other posts in that thread pretty much mirror this thread

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You guys realize Big Blocker argues here as practice.

18. Big Blocker

Heh!

All I gotta say is that is a much better reason than arguing in order to make one's self look foolish, like Blue and JET Holmes.

But i got a chuckle out of your post.

19. abyzmul

Practice makes mediocre, as the old adage goes.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member