Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'd rather see one of the two top safeties in the draft go to the Jets at 18 than any of the corners in this draft, but that is mostly due to the need for a real ballhawk at centerfield.

I'd almost rather a trade down in the first than anything, this draft is so deep that the Jets could use 13+ picks after a trade down to gather around 7-8 core players and also a few depth guys.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, I am sure all of your posts to me have PROVEN me to be wrong. If only I could avoid making that sarcastic response, and acknowledge how right you are.

Give it some time. I might still be able to redeem myself.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kyle Arrington is signed for 4 years / $16 million by the Pats. Wilson should get something cheaper or around for being one of the best slot CBs in the league.

Cromartie is done man - 30 years with a bad hip and shit technique. He was one of the worst starting CBs last season easily. Addition by subtraction. Other ways to improve the secondary.

I'm starting to think if Ha-Ha Dix is there at 18, the Jets might consider him.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If he had a really good year is the only way I see those kind of numbers happening. If he plays steady, maybe picks up his game a little I think the best he gets is around $2M/yr. At $2.5M-$3.3M/yr he would be around the top 35 CBs which I don't think is warranted.

Edit: Of course thinking about the cap increase for this year and what they expect next year the $2.5M may be about right.

5. abyzmul

We were 22nd against the pass largely because of Cromartie.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We have nobody on this team that will make us better than we were last year against the pass.

7. 101GangGreen101

Let Walls, Patterson and a drafted rookie (preferably drafted in the 3rd round or later) compete.

The newly acquired Free Safety, improved Milliner will make us better. Letting Cromartie go and finding a replacement will make us better against the Pass. We need to start generating TOs.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It shall be interesting to see who proves to be right about Cromartie, but ftr the main point is not about him but that the Jets need to upgrade Cb.

As for Wilson, much will depend on what kind of year he has. With the relatively weak safeties the Jets have, and assuming they do make a move to get a higher quality Cb, I would not be averse to the kind of money 1985 mentioned if he has a good year. And despite the high pick on a Cb, assuming that happens. The reason is the Jets can look at their salary for the secondary as a whole, balancing higher quality at Cb compared to safety.

I assume you would rather balance that more toward safety, but given the rest of the roster, with the issue being Wilson, the Jets could probably afford that kind of contract.

9. Don

Patterson may never make it to week 1 if his past history continues. Nobody is going to be depending on him for anything more than dime duty.

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I know you'll try your best, and that's all that matters to me. Welcome me into your heart, and I shall lead you to that redemption. I'm like the Obama of TGG.

Wait... That makes sense right?

11. 101GangGreen101

I think the Jets needed to upgrade the defense, not specifically one position. I saw Kenny Vaccaro help revamp the Saints defense in the secondary. I think having a safety that can cover and make plays on the ball is crucial for us going forward. Bring back Ed Reed to help the rookie FS translate his game, before he retires.

I think we need balance period, that includes putting resources (such as high draft picks) into other positions such as FS, ILB, WR, and the offensive line. I look at those positions and I think they need more attention going forward. We saw the Seattle's defense dominate with those 2 All-pro safeties out there, sure they have Sherman but those safeties are intimidating.

Wilson, I think has a role on this team. I don't think it will cost much to resign him. I also don't think other teams value Wilson as much as we do.

Cannot stress the lack of turnovers we've had the past 2 seasons. That needs to change, and getting a center-fielder will go a long way towards achieving that.

Rather pay a good upcoming CB and upcoming S then 2 CBs and no safety.

12. 101GangGreen101

Well good thing he has to actually get injured again first.

13. Don

Just don't expect him to start at CB no matter who is on the team.

14. abyzmul

Because Don says so.

15. 101GangGreen101

That's fine. And you should expect the unexpected.

16. Don

Because common sense says so. They didn't sign him to start and they aren't paying him to start and his track record over the past couple of years says he won't hold up. He will make a good backup however.

17. abyzmul

They signed him to compete.

Competitions end with starters. Don't pass your daft opinion off as common sense, Don, most of us know better than that.

18. MaximusD163

In terms of defensive backs, I think the most beneficial to the team in terms of how they would improve the overall defense falls as HCD, Darqueze Dennard, Calvin Pryor. HCD available at 18 would make me ecstatic, but the next two are pretty much what I consider good value at 18 and I like their skill sets as additions to the Jets overall defense. I think OBJ is the 4th best option at 18, but I haven't watched film on every player considered 1st round talent. I'm not including guys that are locks for the top 10 (based on group think), as many of them I would say you have to take should they fall to us. Even though a guy like Taylor Lewan doesn't fit a need, I think he is too good to pass on if he somehow falls to 18, and a guy like Mike Evans is a no brainer.

19. Don

Yes they signed him to compete. If Idzik was happy with the CB situation he wouldn't say "We have a need at corner". Most football people realize that.

20. MaximusD163

You can be happy with the CB situation while knowing you should look to add someone to that situation in the draft. A "need" at corner can mean numerous things, like they "need" added competition. It doesn't mean they "need" an undisputed starter.