Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You can't seriously depend on Patterson to be anything other than a dime back with his injury history.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes, was being a bit sarcastic. Jets should do something dramatic fast.

3. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Its amazing how people are all over Cro after a bad year when he was playing hurt all year and totally forget how solid he was before. I think its more puzzling peoples fixation with Walls. Some people act like he has already won the starting job when if the guy didnt have Stephen Hill stonehands, he would of had at least 3 INTs last year and one to the house in limited time. I think its more of right place at the right time for him but we'll see. He'll probably most likely be the 3rd or 4th corner this year when the season comes around.

Big Blocker likes this.
  4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

First off I haven't said anything about Walls other than to say I don't know about him being the answer. I recognize that you didn't specifically refer to me when you said "people" but I wanted to be sure that was clear.

As for cromartie, I've always been of the opinion that he would have a very quick downward slide when his elite athleticism started to deteriorate because he relies too much on that and never bothered to become technically sound as a corner. I believe that's what we were seeing from him last year and I dont expect him to be better this year especially since he'll be playing across from Peterson and will be the preferred target for any offense. I expect that the cardinals just gave cromartie his last big paycheck and I'm glad it wasn't the Jets instead.

That's obviously just one guys opinion.

abyzmul likes this.
  5. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I never liked Cro I wanted him traded last off-season while his stock was high, he's the most irritating player in the world to watch, most amazing physical abilities yet inexplicably sags off the receiver 10 yards and don't even get me started on his technique/tackling. The overhype of Cromartie around here is almost Braylon Edwards like.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sure there is.

Idzik is a GM, not a HC.

What makes us better in 2015, 16,17? Paying Revis $12M for one year, or keeping the $12M to pay & keep our own talent plus bringing in a top rookie DB that will only get better year after year?

If Revis (and$10M/yr Cro for that matter) could not be trusted to be our long term solutions, then cut bait and start building for the future now. Why waste a year (and $22M) when it's a 'transitional year' anyway?

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's a pretty sound analysis of how Cro dropped off the map, although I have always felt he was overrated at the position aside from his all-pro year with San Diego.

A player that relies on 90% physical dominance and 10% technique becomes a shit player when he can't just leg it out.

He had next to zero skills jamming receivers and you have to assume his film work was spent daydreaming, because he basically let receivers run right by him while he had a question mark hovering over his head all of 2013.

He's going to get targeted twice as much in Arizona with Patrick Peterson on the other side of the field and I won't be surprised if he ends up having as bad or worse off a season as he had last year.

8. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Well give him credit if they run by him he has that ever impressive hold.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you mean the same way the Redskins must have been idiots to let Albert Haynesworth go because, well, if the Patriots believed he was worth having it must be so.

the very concept that simply because another team is willing to take a chance on a player means that player must be worth what they gave him is beyond ludicrous. by that logic, every team makes great decisions when they sign a player because the very fact that they signed him must mean the player has the ability they expect from him.
    what the hell are you talking about? no it isn't a straw man because he isn't stating it as if it was your argument that he is addressing, he is stating it in regards to Rex's defensive philosophy and how Rex will likely adjust that strategy during the season to cover up the weakness in corner, and it will be a sound strategy because you don't need to depend on man-to-man coverage to win a Super Bowl. your hysteria is reaching epic proportions in this thread if you are defensive about a statement that isn't even about your argument.

abyzmul, FJF and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

YOu are out of control. This ridiculous reference to hysteria undermines what remains of your fast declining cred here. I have come to my position in a very rational and even tempered manner. This you cannot accept. Do you really believe that all people who disagree with you have some kind of emotional imbalance? Perhaps you do. If instead you think it is limited to my case, why is that?

My point was quite simple. When I see someone argue the Jets should shy away from corners capable of playing man because they think the Jets should be playing more zone coverage, I respond that doing so makes the D less flexible. Rex clearly wants corners who can play man. Not because he calls for man coverage on every down. But because he has the flexibility to chose either, depending on opponent and game situation.

To say "you don't need" is not the metric, in the sense that there is some absolute requirement, where no team has ever won an SB blah blah blah. The question is whether it is better to have the flexibiilty to play both man and zone. The answer is obviously yes.

See what you can do to improve your cred before it is lost completely.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Sometimes that's all it takes. Walls was solid in limited snaps last year. A year of experience and with another training camp he will improve and I believe he'll prove himself as a possible number 2 CB.

12. abyzmul

The problem is that Cro has a possibly chronic condition with that hip (it's recurring from the broken hip he had in 2008) and without being able to rely on the edge his elite physical ability provides, he becomes one of the worst corners in the league, because he has next to zero technique to fall back on.

I don't remember reading anyone saying that Walls is the starter, but I think he showed enough to be allowed to compete for the job. If the Jets do go CB early in the draft, I'm not sure where that puts Walls, but he deserves a chance to prove himself in competition this year. Something that would not have happened if we brought back that crippled horse Cromartie.

Br4d likes this.
  13. abyzmul

It's a hoot to see this guy tell other people about cred.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bad year at 29 is a very bad sign for an NFL player dependent on his physical skills to dominate. If Cro was a technique guy and had a bad year due to injuries you could see him recovering and playing well for a few more seasons based on his skill levels. Technique gets better with age and then declining physical abilities catches up to you. Physical ability just gets worse year after year once you are past your prime.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

even tempered, yes. rational? hardly.

your reasoning has been shown constantly not to be rational. irrational behavior is generally the result of emotional imbalance.

why something as trivial as the Jets not improving the corners YET has you so hysterical is another question, but clearly you are falling apart. just because you communicate it with an even-temper doesn't change the fact that you are unable to make logical arguments in defense of your position. but I guess the Titans were foolish not to sign Albert Haynesworth for $100 million dollars because, since the Redskins gave him that money, it must mean he was worth it, despite the fact that it is considered one of the worst free agent signings in history.

of course, by your argument there is no such thing as a bad free agent signing because every player is worth what a team signs them for, regardless of how they perform after the contract is signed, simply because the team valued them at that amount, and every other team made a mistake for not paying them that amount. that is the position your argument extends to in your defense of the Cards signing Cromartie and arguing he must be worth that amount simply because they paid him that amount.

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I have to say I've come around on drafting secondary early. At first I was completely against it, mostly based on principal of needing to address offense and insteading going D early...again. As long as we're drafting a starting caliber guy then I'm okay with it.

I also wouldn't limit it to specifically CB. I think we could do well drafting one of the top safeties early (i.e. Clinton-Dix or Pryor) and grabbing a decent CB a little later on, there are lots of good ones that should fall a little later: Purifoy, Baptiste, EJ Gaines, etc.

17. Big Blocker

There is a big difference between a general decline in physical abilities and a specific injury that can heal. Now to your point I am hardly of the view that Cro will be better than ever, assuming his hip injury heals. But also it is hardly the case that his dealing last year with an injury, one that I assume Arizona feels he will move beyond and improve, proves that he has already entered a period of decline.

It might seem ironic, but I would be more skeptical of Cro's future if there were not some specific injury that caused his off year.

So what is likely is he will be improved from last year, but not as good as before last year. Probably play good enough to make Arizona satisfied with his contract.

18. Big Blocker

You are confusing me with some other poster. I did not say there is no such thing as a bad free agent signing or anything of the sort.

And I did not say Cro MUST be worth what Az is paying him, either.

You are a clown.

19. Big Blocker

I hardly consider myself a draft guru, but I read a sensible analysis that says if Dennard is avaiable at 18, the Jets will likely take him. But it is also questionable that Dennard will be available, so what do they do if he is not?

20. Big Blocker

Where does this notion come from that Walls played well last year???