Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Walls showed nothing. And who said anything about putting ALL resources into CB????

If Walls was better last year than Cromartie, the CS should all be fired for not playing him instead.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

you wanted proof that we played man to man in Milliner's best game against Miami:

Here are his targets and plays: You have on DVR as you said, so shouldn't be too difficult to validate. Don't even have to watch the entire game
    Q1 10:16
    Q2 13:37
    Q2 13:32
    Q2 12:50
    Q2 12:41
    Q2 11:51
    Q2 8:52
    Q2 2:34
    Q3 8:47
    Q3 7:58
    Q3 4:09
    Q3 4:02
    Q4 1:30

It is clear as day he was playing man to man. You are hanging your hat on 1 play, at 1:30 left in the game, where we were playing situational football. That is not at all the D we ran all game. Being up by 13, a FG doesn't hurt us, just keep them out of the end zone. It was a prevent situation.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

lol at easily the worst starting CB in the league.
    If Walls was better, he would've been playing last year.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

All I hear from people (no knock on you) is wah we need another CB in the first round, and blah blah blah - no one is looking at the free safety position or the inside linebacker position and thinking, "should the Jets be looking to upgrade this position?" I think the defense can reach better heights if they look to upgrade those positions with guys that can cover.

The loyalty aspect in my opinion - I don't see how Walls becoming a starter isn't any different then Antonio Allen becoming a starter last year. You have no idea what Walls can do as a starter for 5 or 10 games. Nor do I, but I hope the CS is willing to find out.

5. 101GangGreen101

This is nothing. Still no evidence. I will watch the game again tonight and see what's up.

I never said they ran zone the entire game, but to say they ran a Prevent Defense, when Milliner himself said they ran the SAME play they did against the Browns (which was either Cover 3 or 2), you're completely incorrect. Stop reaching, it's over.

6. 101GangGreen101

Check the statistics, use your eyes - he was garbage.

They should have put Cro on the IR last season to be honest, he was worthless, I'm not part of the coaching staff.

7. BacktoQueens

lol, you said Milliner is a better zone corner, and switching to zone is why he improved as season went on.
    you also stated Rex just needs to play more zone, and we don't have any need at CB.

i just gave you the exact times of his targets against Miami, and the Jets were clearly playing him man to man.

that is the argument. it is over, you don't know what the fuck you are stating, but you'll do it in a pompous fashion even when shown otherwise.

8. BacktoQueens

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is not reality in today's NFL. It takes forever for a failing veteran star to get replaced by a no-name younger player. That's because the failing veteran star generally has a large cap number and contract to go along with his veteran star status and he will get the benefit of the doubt right up until the point it becomes crystal clear that he has less to offer than the young no-name.

There was no point last year when that was true. Walls was a better CB than Cro early on but by mid-season everybody was struggling back there and it was Rex who finally made the adjustment that got things back in line. That's when he went out and got a real FS, albeit a banged up older one, and let his CB's off the hook some by playing less press man and more zone coverages.

If the Jets don't find a good press man CB by the time the season opens, and it is somewhat likely they won't, look for Rex to bow to reality and begin playing more layered coverages that cover up the man to man weakness that may be present in the 2014 secondary. You can win a Super Bowl without having your CB's go man0-a-mano every down. Many teams have done that recently.

10. 101GangGreen101

I don't give a fuck about those times, I'm going by what Dee Milliner said in public to the papers. I'm not going to waste my time with that anymore.

Yes, it so happened that when the Jets decided to use more Zone, you actually saw Milliner make more plays, that is indisputable. You cannot argue that because it's out there, players have said it. They brought Reed in to run more zone. To try and create more TOs

I think the Jets should play more zone, at this juncture because grabbing a CB at 18 won't make the secondary world beaters all of a sudden, you still need a good FS, and a ILB that can cover, you still need to have that CB adjust to the NFL (one of the harder positions) - I don't see a reason for Rex to send 8 guys on the regular. We got some talented guys up front which should allow us to send 4 to 6 guys. The problem with the Jets secondary isn't the CB play, it's the inability to generate TOs - teams are going to throw on the Jets, nothing you can do about that - one CB won't change that. Increase the pass-rush productivity and look for a way to generate more TOs.

SBs have been won this way. The 2 shutdown CB man to man system has not worked, time for a change.

I already showed you proof that the Jets ran zone when Milliner got an interception, you obviously have a problem with comprehension and you should get your eyes checked.

11. 101GangGreen101

Nope according to BacktoQueens, the Jets didn't run ANY zone! Despite what Milliner said to the public.

If we can send 4 to 6 and put more in coverage - we might be able to generate more TOs, and become a complete defense. But we need upgrades at specific positions (FS, ILB).

12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

This was my original feeling during the season, first wrt sticking with Milliner and later Cromartie over Walls. But the thing is that this logic isn't any kind of definitive answer concerning Walls' ability or the CS' adeptness at evaluating that ability. Rex obviously made a conscious decision to sit Milliner as infrequently as he could. That was a maddening strategy at times but the fact is that Milliner turned the corner later on as a result. He made almost as much of a positive impact as he had a negative one earlier, and certainly that decision looks like it helped Milliner best develop to improve the team this season and for years to come. If you acknowledge that kind of thinking for Milliner, who is to say that Rex wasn't applying similar thinking to Cromartie though the result didn't turn out to be successful? Maybe he had reason to believe that Cro had a reasonable chance to play back into form and provide a couple more years of good contribution based on mid-season doctors reports or whatever else? Rex has been making some relatively bold personnel moves developing certain unheralded players and sticking with other veterans, and you can't celebrate those successes that pan out and criticize the ones that don't in the next breath. If he just went with the obvious and conservative approach every time those surprising successes would be less likely to occur at all. And while Milliner and Cromartie both obviously have higher ceilings at the height of their games than Walls, that doesn't necessarily mean that his is too low to be a reasonably effective starter.

Not that any of that is automatically the case, but as outside observers it's impossible for us to rule things like that out therefore a bit of leeway is required about certain decisions and their results. When you have no confidence in a coach to give him that leeway then it's time to make a change but I don't think anything that happened at CB last year makes a particularly compelling case to that effect.

13. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Solid? Yes. Ready for full starting duties? I'm not so sure.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Cromartie was a big part of the reason we were 22nd in pass defense last year. Getting rid of him was part of the solution not part of a problem.

I don't give a fuck who Arizona signed or didn't sign. It doesn't change the fact that Cromartie was part of the problem for our pass defense.

I have never once disagreed that we need to improve the pass defense.

You're also right that it's not rocket science. Getting rid of cromartie was a no brainer. Your fixation on him is puzzling.

#274 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  15. BacktoQueens

interesting... what type of zone will we be running when we rush 6? who will be responsible for the deep field?

16. Big Blocker

There's no rule saying the higher paid player gets to play even if he is hurt and playing worse than his backup. We can think of countless examples where that "rule" is not followed.

And we are here not talking about some close call benefit of the doubt analysis, anyway. I don't see the relevance of the analysis unless one were to conclude Walls was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Cromartie last year. Unless he was, on what basis is playing him as a starter this coming season likely to improve the secondary compared to last year?

Not to digress, but I defend reference to cutting Cromartie as problematic since I assume his condition will improve. I expect Arizona thinks that, and I expect he will play better. Otherwise their doctors are incompetent. Perhaps they are.

But even if one assumed Cromartie's condition was not going to improve, can we assume Walls would IMPROVE the secondary by starting this coming year in his place? I see no reason to think so.

This gets back to your referring to a benefit of the doubt. If it is a close call and the CS sticks with the vet, that is one thing. If it was NOT a close call, and Walls would clearly have been the superior player, then the CS was guilty of bad management.

Milliner's situation has nothing to do with whether when Miliner was playing Walls should have gone in for Cromartie. Milliner was benched for teaching moments. Cromartie was not in need of teaching moments. He needed to be more healthy.

Regarding the bolded part, we shall see whether the Jets in fact go the remainder of hte off season without making another move at Cb. I doubt they make no more moves. But if the roster as it exists is what they stay with, yes, Rex will have to deal with it. But watch out for the result.

No one is saying SB winners have to play man coverage on every down, btw. That is a straw man.

17. Big Blocker

You should. Another pro team felt he will contribute, most likely due to improving health leading to improving play.

Meanwhile the Jets have done noting to improve the position.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Dimitri Patterson, but that's it. 4 months and counting till season begins. I think that between now and then I would hope we are not disappointed.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The vikings signed VD. Meanwhile the Jets have done nothing to improve the position.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Did we get the Lombardi? I missed that one.