Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Great post, Queens. The Jets lose flexibility when their weak corner play dictates zone, and they still get beat.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm not gonna sit here and act like I'm a professional and have access to all "22 camera angles" - the proof is in what Milliner said after the game

http://nypost.com/2013/12/30/dee-milliners-time-comes-in-the-end/

Prevent Defense? What the fuck are you talking about? Have your eyes deceived you? I posted the interception earlier in this topic, that was in ZONE DEFENSE (it was not prevent where everyone is backed up by the EZ) - therefore the majority of the turnovers made by Milliner were in zone defense. Therefore he was a better player when Rex ran zone, sure he can play man - but the Jets going forward need to mix it up.

As I said, when they started Ed Reed at FS, they ran more zone. I'm not going to believe what you said, I think it's full of shit and still no actual proof.

Nice try. You know I could watch the game and pull the same bullshit you did cept on my end of the argument.

3. 101GangGreen101

To build on that, you said Milliner got his 2nd interception while they were in a Prevent Defense (while it is Zone, not the specific type of zone coverage I am referring to). Milliner said they ran the same play they ran against CLE to get the interception.

[​IMG]

Does that look like Prevent Defense to you?

4. Big Blocker

Not to digress, but what an awful pass.

5. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Looks like a Cover 3 all the way, the GIF is not moving for me did Milliner sit on the curl?

6. 101GangGreen101

7. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the gif claims that Milliner breaks on the ball because he reads the QB's eyes. problem is the QB is looking left and pump fakes to the left when Milliner breaks, then turns right and throws it to the receiver that Milliner has already broken for. what benefit did Milliner get by reading the QB's eyes when they are looking at a completely different receiver when breaking to the second receiver the QB wasn't looking at.

is the claim that Milliner is clairvoyant and by reading his eyes looking at the receiver on the left knew in advance that he was looking off the defense and was always going to turn back to the receiver to the right that Milliner broke for before the QB ever turned to look at him?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Looked like he was reacting to the receiver's route, not the QB.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that makes sense for certain.

definitely a good play by Milliner, no need to exaggerate it by applauding him for something that doesn't actually occur in the play.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Replace what? You're fixated on "replacing" one of the worst CB's in the league. It would be like someone constantly whining about not replacing VD. CB would have been a need with or without Cro.

#251 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    FJF and JetBlue like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

I was thinking this also - Milliner has amazing closing speed - that's one hell of a skill-set to have.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lol, it's obvious you watched a couple Milliner highlights, saw 2 of his 3 picks weren't in man, and decided he must be better in 'zone'.

i just pointed out Milliner played man to man all game against Miami. If you choose not to believe it, watch the fucking game again for yourself. You don't need 22 angles to see they were playing man. or you can keep your head in the sand and continue making pompous claims.

the last pick was with time running out and a 13 pt lead. they completely switched D's at that point, were in prevent mode, dime D i believe, but yes it was a type of zone if it makes you feel better. Every other play made by Milliner was in man to man against Miami.

14. BacktoQueens

btw do you really think prevent defense means everyone is backed up to the EZ?
    if so, you are really ignorant.

15. BacktoQueens

i think you are simplifying it a bit.
    Cro had a poor year. But he was also asked to play man w/o much help (if any at all) over the top. The FS would often cheat Milliner's way, which makes sense being a rook. But now i'm willing to bet Milliner will be put on that island, ready or not. And we still need to fill Milliner's role.

i think any way you slice it, we still have a hole at CB, and will likely need to draft one at this point. Doesn't have to be in the first round, but i expect we will draft one somewhat early.

16. 101GangGreen101

HE DID NOT PLAY MAN TO MAN THE ENTIRE GAME - READ THE FUCKING QUOTE I JUST PROVIDED MILLINER HIMSELF SAYS, HE WAS IN ZONE. THEREFORE HE DID NOT PLAY MAN THE ENTIRE GAME. Am I really going to believe your word over his? LMAO.

I pointed out 2 games where Milliner obviously made plays in a zone defense. Again, Milliner one day could become a better man to man defender at the this level, until then it remains to be seen.

Here is an example of Prevent Defense (at the collegiate level)

[​IMG]

Rushing only 2 players, everyone back into coverage to protect the player from getting to the EZ. The Jets GIF, I provided they sent 6 to get to the QB.

So no, the Jets did not go to a prevent defense. Until you provide sufficient evidence, your argument is null / void :) - you "watching the games" doesn't tell me anything, you could easily twist your words in your favor. Look at the GIF man, same play in the Browns and Dolphins game, that is not freaking prevent defense. If you have no evidence, then keep quiet.

Have a good day.

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'm worried that if we go into next season with either Walls or a rookie being our #2 CB behind Milliner that we are putting far too much pressure on Milliner to be "the guy" and I'm not convinced he's ready. If we had absolutely stellar safeties I would feel a little bit more at ease but our safeties are pretty crap as well, especially FS.

Unless we are able to draft a legit starting CB and/or a starting FS I think we're going to be in a very bad way. It just sucks that we didn't address either CB or FS in free agency to alleviate that worry.

18. Big Blocker

Your constant reference to positions you disagree with as whining is childish and establishes nothing. I am not whining. I am making a point you disagree with.

I am "fixated" on filling a hole at CB. The Jet pass D last season was ranked 22nd. You are okay with that?

And by definition Cro was not one of the worst Cb's in the league, because he was starting. Maybe he was, hurt as he was, one of the weaker STARTING Cb's in the league, but he was good enough to keep bench players on the bench.

In any event he was playing through injury, and apparently Arizona thinks he will be better.

Meanwhile the Jets cut him, signed no one else after looking at several players, who were signed elsewhere but not here despite the Jets having lots of cap space, and like many here I hoped the Jets would be able to use all their top draft picks on O. Now I see Cb as their top draft need. And I dont like it.

THis is not rocket science. To the contrary you show a lack of football knowledge in thinking the Jets sitting on their hands after cutting Cromartie is not an issue of concern.

deerow84 likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

You do realize there are other ways to improve a pass defense besides putting all of the resources into the CB position right?

Cro was easily the worst STARTING CB in the league. Walls can't be any worse then Cro last yr.

20. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Darrin Walls is solid and I'd be surprised if he doesn't start at CB for us next year.