Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We need to improve the pass-rush, get better linebackers to cover and a free safety.

Drafting another CB won't help in my opinion.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lmao, so improving at CB won't help? our CB's were abused all season, and our pass rush was not bad at all.
    i agree upgrading at FS would certainly help, but CB is a major need to this team. the biggest need on our D. also have to factor that it is unlikely we offer Wilson a new contract at end of season.

3. 101GangGreen101

CB is not the biggest need. FS / ILB are. Look at the lack of turnovers we've had last year. We have no one that can cover the middle of the field, we don't have a free safety that can roam the field, communicate and make plays.

A fucking CB ain't gonna resolve it. Teams will still find ways to line their weapons against our linebackers and safeties.

Why did the Seahawks have the best secondary in the league? They don't have 2 shutdown CBs. When will people learn ...

Our pass-rush can be so much better, no where near as good as you think.

4. BacktoQueens

i agree FS is a need. We also had CB's who could not cover WR's, did not communicate, and did not make plays.
    this is in a system that plays it's best in man coverage. we switched to zone to mask these problems, essentially sterilizing a lot of our aggressiveness, and it still didn't help.
    it is the biggest need by far.

5. 101GangGreen101

Free Safety is the HIGHEST need, bar none.

Jets need to use less man and more zone. Milliner has proven to play better in zone then in man.

6. BacktoQueens

why do the Jets need to use less man more zone?
    Rex has a long history of success playing man. we switched to zone last year as the CB's were getting so abused, and it still didn't help the secondary.
    and when did Milliner prove to be better in zone?
    this whole post is utter nonsense.

Big Blocker likes this.
  7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

So much nonsense in one post.

The Jets will not need $12mil to sign a high round rookie Cb next year. In fact the only Cb demanding that kind of money at that position is Revis.

As far as NE is concerned, I think they plan on being competitive, they lost Talib, and replaced him with Revis at a number they felt reasonable and they could afford. He may well stay there longer than one year as well.

Finally as most recognize the Jets did not pursue Revis not because it would have been stupid to do so. They do not want to have any dealings with him for reasons that are essentially personal.

The larger point is not about Revis. It is about how people like you overrate carrying cap money into next year. The Jets could be competitive this year. It need not be a rebuilding year. And it is not necessarily a good plan to take too much cap space into any single FA period and expect to spend it well.

#187 Big Blocker, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  8. 101GangGreen101

Rex Ryan used zone defenses in 2010, he did it when we beat the Pats in the playoffs.

Last season however:

Example - http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/12/25/5243544/gif-breakdown-cleveland-browns-at-new-york-jets

The last 4 or so games, the Jets ran more zone defense when they asserted Ed Reed into the starting lineup.

Time for Rex to change and adapt, no shame in running a zone defense more often.

My post is not nonsense, you are just misinformed.

9. Big Blocker

I agree as a general concept with what you are saying. But I do think you can rate needs relative to each other. And relative to other parts of the team wideout and cornerback are the weakest parts of the team. I would put safety right after those two, but in doing so that only elevates the need at Cb higher, since the Jets cannot count on the safeties to support the corners as much as they would if they had better safeties.

The linebackers could use more overall speed and Coples remains an experiment. Davis needs to step it up, and Pace is aging. But this year they are set with the starters, so it is not as pressing a need.

Rb is set, Qb is a battle between the vet FA they just signed and a second year second round guy. Oh well.

I am on record as saying the OL is a real concern, but some of the optimists here point to bench players as having upside potential.

jilozzo likes this.
  10. Big Blocker

The truth of the matter is you are in effect suggesting Idzik should tie Rex's hands and force on him players not capable of playing man coverage (is flexibility to choose man or zone depending on the opponent and situation not a virtue???) in order to defend the fact that Idzik has not managed the roster to include two corners capable of starting and playing man.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I'm assuming your nonsense remark was in regards to your own post. clearly my position isn't dependent on the idea that they would spend all $12 million on a single CB, but that there would be $12 million available of which could be used on a CB as well as other positions. are you actually attempting to argue that the Jets would not be better off having an additional $12 million to sign potential long-term players? that could be your only position.

at this point it is clear you are scavenging for whatever point you can make in hopes that your opponent is simply unable to dispute it rather than make an argument that is sound on its own merits.

I am not over rating cap space, I am valuing it. there is a huge difference between the two. I am discussing a specific dynamic -- the value of the cap space compared to a one year rental player that would need to be replaced anyways the following year. in that situation the value of the cap space is higher than the value of the player if that player does not ascend the team to a championship season.

if I were overrating the cap carry over I would say absolutely that not signing a player for that amount is more valuable than the player, because the cap space is what is important. my position inherently addresses that concept and clearly is not stating that.

Revis has zero value for the Jets as a one year rental player unless you believe the Jets are competing for a Super Bowl next season with him. If you do believe that you are a bigger homer than anyone you are criticizing as such. if you don't believe that your argument for a one year Revis rental is simply stupid and has proven to be so.

12. 101GangGreen101

I'm not defending anyone, but the fact is we drafted Milliner at 9 - he has yet to play well in a man scheme. He was according to Idzik and the scouts, the BPA.

Rex as a coach needs to adapt and put his players in the best scenario to succeed, even if that means switching to zone more often. This could help us generate more TOs. We weren't generating turnovers in a man scheme, matter fact we were one of the worst teams in the league in generating TOs

Rex is suppose to be a defensive genius. Time for him to roll up those sleeves. I'm not saying Rex needs to ditch the man to man for good, but he needs to look at the benefits of running more zone. We have an amazing defensive line and an upcoming player at OLB (Coples), we don't need to blitz like crazy anymore. We should look to rush 4 or 5 men to get to the QB.

13. Big Blocker

Did Blue just call me a homer?

Yes, I believe the Jets could be competitive THIS YEAR. I said why before. If the Jets had a quality Cb already on the roster opposite Milliner, they could more easily fill the holes that make them less competitive. Right now there are too many holes to fill in the draft. And I concede being a contender means that Vick has to stay healthy. But if he does...

And it is nonsense to say that Revis would have no value to the Jets if he was on a contending team. Pure and utter nonsense.

You are overrating the concept of carrying over cap space.

14. Big Blocker

You previously were not merely saying the Jets should add more zone schemes. You were saying you would prefer that the Jets not even try to get corners capable of playing man. That is ridiculous.

15. 101GangGreen101

I've been on record to say the Jets should run more zone. This makes CB less of a priority and it allows the Jets to focus on other positions (namely WR, ILB, FS).

Sure the Jets should look to get corners capable of playing man (I believe they already have that in Walls as a #2). The CB pool is deep, they can find guys later in the draft that Rex could develop.

Those that want Dennard at 18, should know he barely has any experience in zone coverage. So we have 1 CB that is good at zone and bad at man, and another CB that is good at man but inexperienced (prob bad) at zone.

I don't see how that works.

16. BacktoQueens

your post is nonsense.
    Rex has always done just fine maximizing his defensive schemes to personnel. He doesn't need to completely change philosophy just so you can push for Lee in the draft.

His goal coming into the season was to blitz much more than 2012, and to generate more pressure on QB's.
    How'd that work out? We blitzed less than any season Rex has been here. Why? because we didn't have CB's who could cover, and we ran zone for the larger part of the season (not just last 4 weeks). Against Miami in last game, we were mainly playing man again, as Milliner was finally coming around.

Despite blitzing less, we did pressure the QB well. That was due to an ascending talent level on the DL.
    If we have CB's who can cover, we can dial up that pressure even more. all our Dlineman would be single blocked, with potential rushers unblocked. that will certainly help the pass rush you claim needs to improve.

17. BacktoQueens

1) No the Jets should not play more zone. They should play the D which has been most effective throughout Rex's career, and focus on pressuring QB's.

2) The WR pool is WAY deeper than the CB pool.

3) What is this nonsense that Milliner is a zone guy? We didn't draft him at 9 to play zone.. We are not switching to zone. If we were, maybe we would've signed Verner. Dennard has the exact skill set we need. It's just a matter whether he is even there at 18, and whether he would be the BPA if he is available.

18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

It's a sad state of affairs as far as the secondary is concerned. Earlier on in FA I was stating that if we drafted a CB in the 1st round I'd pull my face right off. Can't really say that now. I'd say Idzik has had, basically, a C- offseason and that can be directly correlated to the mismanagement of not getting a CB of any starting quality.

The fact remains, as well, that it doesn't matter if we DO draft a CB in the 1st round...experience dictates that he won't be ready this year either so as far as the secondary goes, barring picking up some unforeseen gem in what's left of FA and/or training camp cuts, we are going to be the same or worse than last year.

Considering that argument...do we draft a CB or do we draft a WR/TE that can help us score enough to stay with the teams that are abusing our secondary?? Certainly a topic for debate.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 4m
    This is interesting: QB Jimmy Garoppolo is visiting the Jets today, per source. Projected as 2nd rounder. Jets said to be interested. #nyj

hmmm..

20. BacktoQueens

I think you draft both a CB and WR. just a matter of when, and that depends on how the board falls. round 1 might have us select another position entirely, and i'd be fine with that.

in terms of CB, say we draft one in the first 3 or 4 rounds..
    I agree it isn't always best to throw him right out there unless he shows he is ready. I'm hoping Patterson can contribute and at least provide some competition. no shame in starting Patterson until the other guy is ready, or should Patterson get hurt. If not Patterson, maybe Walls.
    it's all about simultaneously setting up the future, while also improving the present. Drafting a CB gives us some flexibility in that regard, as there is a good chance both Patterson and Wilson will not be here in 2015.