Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You are bitching about my posts, so by that count that makes two of us. I guess you can't handle the debate on the merits and feel you must get personal. It shows your frustration level, and is not to your credit. You keep going there, and I don't like it.

Allen last year showed promise, but he was not a quality starter.

I never said it was impossible to find good players down the draft, or even occasionally in undrafted players.

I never said ONLY replace players leaving in FA, either. But YOU are the one who insists the Jets should use their high picks on O. If that was the plan, should have been the plan (and to that extent I agree with you), the logical and most comprehensive approach to addressing who starts at cornerback IS NOT WHAT THE JETS HAVE DONE SO FAR.

This is not rocket science. You are being obtuse because you are an FO Homer.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You're claiming they haven't addressed CB. They brought in 2 former 2nd round picks that when healthy were solid players. Walls was solid last year and Wilson was solid the year he had to play on the outside. Then you have Milliner who stepped up last year in the last few games of the season. The point is that the CB position has been addressed.

#162 The 1985er, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    TNJet likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't you know that the most logical and comprehensive way to address the CB position is either to throw too much money at second tier free agents or to get Revis on a one year deal?

#163 abyzmul, Apr 23, 2014
  4. Big Blocker

None of those people are quality starters, and you know it. I will laugh my ass off when they go with a high pick in the draft at Cb, and then come here to see you applaud the move as what they intended all along.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Phil is a gentleman and a scholar for not plugging his son and being honest. Matt looked good in preseason last year, hope he improves.

6. The 1985er

Before last year would you consider Damon Harrison a quality starter?

If they do draft a CB in round 1 I'd be disappointed. But I'd have no choice but to accept it.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They will definitely take a corner in the first two rounds unless there are none left worth taking, Idzik has left himself no other choice.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This might be a reason we need a CB early..haha.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 1m
    Schedule-related note: The #Jets allowed nearly 4,000 passing yards last season and they face 5 of the top 6 passing offenses from a yr ago.

9. Big Blocker

Harrison was not a rookie, they saw something they liked in him, they also have Ellis, who is a much better player than any Cb other than Milliner. Different situation, obviously.

But that is not the main point. The point is if you need a starter, the lower in the draft you go to find one, the less likely you will find an effective one. Again, this is not complicated. You are making it complicated because you don't like to acknowledge that Idzik is a flawed human being just like all the rest of us.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Fair point but at the same time I'm looking at Nelson for what he is, a Buffalo Bills castoff vs. Hill (who with all his shaky hands issues and all) does represent the high draft pick "big play/weapon" component in my comparison. Nelson's been a nice pickup and I think he'll stick here in 2014 no matter how the draft plays out, but he's not starter material and again why I installed Hill, warts and all, in that WR vs CB 3-on-3 fwiw.

For the sake of argument, even if I installed Nelson in place of Hill, the "hole" in the WR triumvirate would still be greater than at CB imho at this juncture.

#170 joe, Apr 23, 2014
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

double post- oops

12. Big Blocker

My point is that there is more collective talent at wideout than at cornerback as of right now.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Kind of scary statistic when you think about it. Apparently, not worrying the Jets if they are loading up on offense (CJ,Vick). Build through the draft and this is a rebuilding year. Right? We are all in win now mode but how we improve from 8-8 is getting more confusing. I guess we win more games against all the teams who don't have top passing offenses. At best, 11-5 lol.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Even if the ice is thinner overall at CB, I still think the starter talent with Milliner/Patterson/Wilson has a better chance of holding the fort than Decker/Hill-Nelson/Kerley.
    Again, just my opinion but I think we are more starting talent strapped at WR--currently. Our mileages apparently vary, no problem.

15. The 1985er

Okay so if they saw something in an undrafted 2nd year NT, then why can't they see something in Dowling/Walls/Patrick/Patterson/Lankster/Wilson?

As for your second point you're right about the lower you go in the draft the harder it is find an effective starter. Which in theory is true. But every single year since the very first draft there are always guys drafted in the later rounds that end up being very good pros.

The Seahawks found the leagues best CB in the 5th round. It's up to our scouts to find a really good player that we could mold into a starter.

I never even implied that Idzik was perfect.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Well we could also bolster the pass rush at the same time. not necessarily from a front 3 or 4 point of view but from the linebacker/rushbacker position.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No, that is not what I said. In fact, I explicitly said the opposite. c'mon, man. really?

I said a one year deal for Revis for the Jets is stupid since they would be losing $12 million from the following year's cap that they would be better off saving for whatever CB they would need anyways if he left or he never signed to begin with. there is simply no value to having Revis for next year if he leaves afterwards. he not only doesn't improve them long term but would also hinder their ability to improve long-term by having cap space to sign a long-term player at the position.

If the Jets are going to need a new CB in 2015, the result is the same whether they have Revis for 2014 or not -- they still will need a new CB. Better to have an additional $12 million to spend on that than not.

obviously NE believes it makes perfect sense to have Revis because I already addressed explictly the value of a one year deal for Revis which would undoubtedly apply to the Patriots. Please explain how you missed that very blatant point I made and how NE signing him somehow disputes the issue of the lack of value for the Jets? it doesn't. I explicitly stated that a one year deal is worthwhile for a team that believes that one year for the contract is a potential Super Bowl season. I already addressed that point and shown why the Patriots signing him doesn't mean Revis would have the same value for every other team in the league and certainly doesn't dispute what I said about the Jets, unless you believe the Patriots did not sign him for one season because they believe he can elevate them to a potential Super Bowl victory and thus whatever future implications of his contract is less valuable than the value of winning the Super Bowl.

if you are addressing my argument, then you are inherently claiming the Patriots do not believe that next season is a potential Super Bowl season with the inclusion of Revis, and they find value in his contract, and the future implications of his contract for the 2015 season, regardless of whether they win the Super Bowl. They just want to be slightly better next season regardless.

I think every other person believes the opposite.

#177 JetBlue, Apr 23, 2014
    The 1985er and abyzmul like this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

there is no doubt we need a corner, but you don't go into the draft with the goal of drafting a corner first regardless of the quality of the corner compared to the quality of the other positions.

if the Jets don't have the best corner available at 18 as worth the 18th pick, but there is a receiver, TE or any other position available at 18 that they had rated higher than 18 or at 18, you draft those other positions even though you still need a corner and look for a corner with your next pick if one is available and rated equivalent to that pick. you don't draft a second or third round talent with your first round pick simply because you need to improve that position. you can improve that position in the second and third round with the other second and third round rated corners in the draft.

obviously there is a middle ground, and you can have a corner that they rate as a low first round pick vs a mid first round pick vs a receiver that is graded as a mid first round pick. but the point is the idea that we should draft a corner in the first just because we need a corner is a ridiculous position until the draft has even begun to play out and we know which corners vs which other position players are available at 18 and whether those corners are a better pick at 18 than the other position players.

all we can say now is that we need a corner. whether a corner is the best pick at 18 will depend on what other players are also available at 18.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

really wish we could go into the draft saying "there is no urgency at this position" or "we dont need to address that unless"....realize thats a luxury but some teams do it better than others. i guess the only position we can safely assume this is along the DL. Too bad there isn't another position we could say this about. really would allow us to go over the top on the ever important OL and even at WR or LB. guess thats what u get for not having enough picks over the years and drafting too many CB and RB/FB. dang.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i do think the ice is thinner at CB overall. the wildcard in it is Patterson. If he stays healthy, he could pleasantly surprise in the short term. health is just too big question mark to rely on him though.

I'd also feel just a little bit better about our CB and WR positions, if we had S and TE in a good place.
    We don't at all, as S and TE are just as weak as CB and WR. We could've done a better job filling out roster in FA imo. Relying a bit too much on the draft to address all these needs..
    considering all the needs, BPA is the clear approach.