Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

I am a very big Idzik supporter, but I do think he botched up cb bad.

We could have easily offered revis the same deal the pats did. His deal there is a one-year gig(no multi-year liabilities).

We are going to go into this season $15mil under the cap.
    --------------------------------

there no way to spin this positively.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Read much? I said if Bridgewater becomes a great QB and Geno falls on his face. QB is the most important position on any team. Aside from the year they took Sanchez, they haven't been in a position to draft a topflight QB since what, 2000? It isn't just Bridgewater, either. The same could be said for Manziel, Carr or Bortles, if one of them is there and Idzik passes on him, and that QB goes on to become a great QB in the NFL and Geno fails. That's the way GMs are judged. One of the reasons Tanny was fired was because he failed to get the Jets a quality starting QB.

If my opinions are so extreme, do us both a favor and put me on ignore so you don't have to read my opinions. It won't bother me one bit.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

No argument. I too am not force-feeding a position over talent.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Great post. The Jets are really between a rock and a hard place with more needs to fill than 12 picks, but if you can't score then you are leaving your D on the field too long. No matter how good they are you still lose. Who would you get for WR?
    I reacted to what I believe at this point to be a bit extreme opinion. Idzik should be judged a little more fairly. He chose Geno and now gave him some weapons. Remember too, if Geno fails we have Vick. Next year should be the year for starting from scratch with a QB. Sorry for ruffling your feathers NC.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No we couldn't have easily offered that same deal as the Patriots if the owner didn't want anything to do with Revis. Just because these people are nothing more than figures on the tv and you think they don't have personalities or emotions because you don't experience them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Beyond that a one year deal is meaningless. Either lock him up long term or don't sign him unless you think that one year is potentially a championship year. What good would having revis for one year, and losing that 12 million additional cap space that would carry over to the next season, if he doesn't stay? What is the benefit? We aren't talking losing 3 or 4 million from the next years cap, we are talking 12 million.

Advocating revis for just one season is absolutely ridiculous. Better not to have revis next year if it is just for one season than to blow 12 million off the following years cap and having to replace him.

FJF likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Very good point. Pats are clearly desperate to be doing this and I hope Revis rooks them...boo hoo. Belichek/Brady are in their decline but Rex can game plan for them without Revis. I say we have an offensive shoot out with NE with our new pick ups (Vick, CJ) and stop worrying about CB's.

7. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

The Jets can carry that money over to next year. No reason to get Revis because they would never keep him longer than a year. The Jets aren't in win now mode like the Patriots and the Broncos.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like Idzik a lot so far, but do have my questions. He has done a great job with the cap, with not going nuts in FA, and trying to build the team through the draft. If he drafts well, then great, we have a keeper, but if not, and he fails to get us a quality starting QB when he has the chance, then perhaps he isn't the man for the job. No one's perfect, and he deserves time, but if he blows the QB thing now, he may not have another chance to get a quality starting QB again any time soon, either because the Jets aren't in position to get one without a Herschel Walker-esque trade or because Woody may fire him.

9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Blows the QB thing? Phil Simms says that Geno Smith is better than any QB in this draft.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Do you literally believe that as a general rule mid round picks perform as well as top picks?

I sure don't.

11. Big Blocker

Heh. Let's try to follow the "logic" here.

So, Milliner struggled early last season, although he did come on later. And Wilson is underperforming his draft status.

Therefore the Jets should not go Cb with a high pick despite the fact that they do not have a starting quality Cb on the roster other than, albeit a bit of a stretch, Milliner.

No, that is not logic at all.

12. Big Blocker

That is why Idzik should have either kept Cromartie or replaced him with a quality Cb in FA. But since he did neither the Jets have a sore need for a starting quality Cb, and the best place to find one is in the draft.

I seriously believe that FO Homers here are reluctant to accept the foregoing because it amounts to criticism of Idzik. He deserves to be criticized for that.

13. Big Blocker

I would rank Nelson higher on the depth chart than Hill at this point. Not sure why you left him out of the analysis.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

still whining about not keeping cromartie. Didn't you watch him suck something awful last year? He will be easily replaced!

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Nah I'm not implying that at all. But what the Jets have done in recent years is draft defense in round 1 and then take a flyer on an offensive player in the mid rounds. For this year I'd like that trend to be reversed.

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Remind me again what FA did we replace Puoha and Divito with last year?

An unproven rookie and an undrafted 2nd year player were their replacements. Who's to say that a Patterson/ Walls/Dowling etc couldn't step in and produce?

We replaced LaRon with an unproven 7th round safety in Allen and he was pretty solid.

But I guess bitching is what you like doing.

17. Big Blocker

The argument in favor of Revis is that the Jets have a big hole at Cb right now, which they wouldn't have if Revis signed with the team.

And despite what Blue said, a one year deal is not stupid. NE is a well run team and they think it makes perfect sense to have Revis.

OF COURSE the Jets are not the same as NE, but for a little context here I think with Vick they can be competitive THIS YEAR, assuming he stays healthy. This business of saving cap space for some future buying spree is overrated. You can't count on there being available pieces in one FA period that would be enough to drive the Jets from mediocre to a Super Bowl team.

Looking at the AFC, Denver still looks tops, but they are not all that solid. Manning is still great, but a bit fragile and imo clearly showing his age. Beyond that I think NE will be vulnerable to the run. There are certainly other good teams in the AFC, but none of them imo stand out as more likely to make the Champ Game than Denver and NE.

With a competitive Qb, and an absence of holes at key positions like Cb and wideout, a team can contend this year in the AFC. I still have doubts about Vick as any medium term answer for the Jets, but in the short run he should be good enough to be that competitive Qb. His signing brings concerns about his health and does not help answer what to do about Smith. But imo his signing does make the chances of fielding a team capable of making the playoffs that much greater that we should not look at 14 as another rebuilding year.

In short, field the best team you can this year, and don't worry about carrying over excessive cap space.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Allen & Walls are 2 players I'm intrigued by. I see a lot of potential in those guys.

19. Big Blocker

Still whining about those who criticize Idzik for letting Cro go without replacing him. Didn't you see a quality organization like Arizona sign him to a reasonable deal? He has not been replaced, yet.

I would have had no problem cutting Cromartie if they did not end up having to use a high draft pick to replace him.

jilozzo likes this.
  20. Big Blocker

I do not pretend to be an expert on talent in the draft. If it works out that a quality wideout is available in the first round while no comparable Cb is, but in the second round a decent prospect of a cb is available, then yes go O in the first and Cb with that second round pick.

But the longer you go down the draft, the less chance you have of picking up a starter. That was my point about your previous post.