Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Who'd want to draft Dennard after all those DUI's?

Oh wait.....that Dennard's on the Patriots.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Unless the owner is Jerry Jones and names himself GM he really has very little to do with the day to day development of the team..yeah you can say he picks the GM but unless he is also telling the GM who to draft and who to sign it doesn't really matter who the GM is.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

We don't need to draft secondary that high at all. Every year you have a few good DB's that are drafted in the mid rounds.

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

A secondary doesn't score many points. We had the greatest CB ever and how did that work out? Draft a WR in the 1st and a TE in the 2nd. Otherwise it's just Groundhog day with Ryan getting his toys while our O withers away. Then the FO acts shocked when we can't score. o_O

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Every position will have a few good players drafted in the mid rounds, I don't think that is a viable reason not to take a CB early.

I want to be clear, I would be fine if we drafted just about any position. I'm not saying we have to take one early. But I'm not going to take an inferior player because we may hit on CB in the mid rounds. That is the exact opposite of Best Player Available.

Besides RB/DT, I think any position can be in play. But to say we shouldn't draft a CB because we can get one later isn't a good reason.

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Just consider if the Jets have no great preference for one of the three WR's. then it requires that the GM look to add picks by trading down. Philly goes for Cooks at 22 because he is Kelly's Oregon kid. That probably leaves Lee or Beckham still on the board. I think by this time we fans should realize that Idzik is very sharp. He will dangle #18 to all the teams below and see what he can get. He may not be able to obtain a second but he will try.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Cooks is from Oregon St, not Oregon.

8. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Lol.

9. The 1985er

Okay how about the fact that we drafted a corner in 2010 and 2013?

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[Quote\]="JetsNation06, post: 2984845, member: 6085"]Cooks is from Oregon St, not Oregon.[/quote]
    Nitpicking

11. JetsNation06

Nitpicking[/quote]

Not nitpicking because he was talking about the Chip Kelly/Philly connection as a reason for them to possibly draft Cooks. That connection doesn't exist because Cooks went to OSU and never played for Kelly.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sorry you took that seriously

13. JetsNation06

My bad, hard to tell on internet sometimes.

FJF likes this.
  14. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

Umm...it did work out. We had a great defense with our strength being our secondary for back to back years.

15. jcass10

What does that have to do with now? It's still the biggest need on the team.

It sucks that 2010 didnt work out the way we wanted. That is no reason to not take a talented player now. All I'm saying is passing up a superior player because of his position is a bad idea.

FJF likes this.
  16. The 1985er

No we need to put playmakers on offense for the QB. If a good receiver or CB is available at 18 we need to pick up a receiver. We need to see how our former 1st round CB's perform in an increased role. Plus we have Patterson, Dowling, Walls, Patrick, and Lankster. We have a solid stable of corners. If anything they should take a flyer on a CB in round 4-7.

TNJet likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The thing is that the Scouting Dept. is different now, even from what it was last season. You just can't compare. It's apples and oranges. Keyshawn, Moss, Brady & Becht were even before Tanny and Bradway. Idzik re-made the Scouting Dept. and he's very different, and much better than Tranny.

By the Jets failing to build secondary with first round picks, I mean that I think it is a fail that they have to try to build it with only 1st round picks. IMO that's a sign of incompetent GMing and incompetent scouting.

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I agree with BPA. But as far as biggest need, is CB it? Let's look at CB vs WR:

At WR, presently there's Decker, Hill and Kerley (slot). At CB, you have Milliner, Patterson and Wilson (slot). It comes down to whether or not you see Stephen Hill as reliable as Dimitri Patterson. While both have injury histories, Patterson at least has shown, when healthy, that he can play at a fairly consistant level. Further, Idzik is not paying the guy $3 million bucks to sit on his duff and come in as a dime DB.

Further, a kid QB's need for a true YAC weapon imo outweighs this (exaggerated) perception that the "other cornerback spot" has been totally ignored in the off-season and is now an empty chair. Besides (assuming Gilbert's gone at #18) who's the more "slam dunk" BPA pick? Dennard, Lee, Beckham or Cooks? Dennard's a nice player but hardly an elite athlete and a little clutchy-grabby in his technique. It's not like CB draft pick=problem solved. I wouldn't mind Lee/OBJ/Cooks in the 1st with Attaochu in the 2nd (if Ford's gone).

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, you're trying to point something out because you're a dishonest jerk. If you're going to quote me, at least have the integrity to do it completely and honestly and don't omit half the quote or twist my words/intent.

I never thought or said the world revolves around my opinion. I'm just stating my opinion as you do yours. You're the one who needs to get over yourself. You're the one who posts like he knows it all and trashes every prospect.

I think that most people would agree that if Bridgewater falls to the Jets and Idzik passes on him, then Bridgewater goes on to become a great NFL QB and Geno doesn't, Idzik will be excoriated and become a laughingstock. There's nothing absurd about that opinion whatsoever. Ask the GM for the Portland Trail Blazers (or was it the Seattle Supersonics) who took Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan how he is remembered.

I've tried to get along with you and agree to disagree, but you refuse to reciprocate. I'm done with you. Life is too short to deal with people like you when one doesn't have to. On ignore you go. This board will immediately become a lot better.

20. jcass10

I should have wrote that WR and CB are the biggest needs, its what I was thinking, not sure why I didnt write it.

Still doesnt really change my point, though. I would much rather have a WR than a CB, I want to make that clear. But I am not going to take an inferior player just because its at a position of greater need. This is all according to the Jets board though, I dont watch film like a lot of the guys here. If they think OBJ or Cooks are better players than Dennard and Fuller than go with the receiver.

The idea is putting the most talented team out there,