How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think he gets taken 256th overall

2. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Teddy is the best QB in this draft. The only real knock on him is his lack of muscles, but that's easier to fix than Carr's accuracy for example. If he is it too skinny to play, then just put him on a body building routine for a year and you will have a great QB. I can see Texans passing on him because of Clowney, but Jags should take him as #3.

Charlie Campbell is a Walterfootball.com sidekick who lives in Tampa and runs "Bodi's Kitty Cause, a charity fighting fatal feline illnesses". I bet he knows as many "NFC executives" as I do.

3. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

Haha. Fuck Walter Football. They are just as bad as NFL network- they just follow all the buzz and regurgitate it. They didn't even have Bortles rated in the Top QB Prospect list until after the Baylor game.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Finally, someone who gets it. Not that I agree with the sentiment about Teddy (or pretty much anything you post :D ) but about all of the reports about pretty much ANY QB not named Luck and where they should go. Same thing with Geno last year- he was NEVER the first overall player OR a first rounder, he didn't fall, that's who he always was.

Same for Teddy, if he goes mid second round then guess what, we all just guessed wrong and he never WAS a first round talent.

I don't believe that, the guy is going to be a longtime franchise QB in the NFL, but again, that's just a guess.

_

5. JStokes

Teddy Bridgewater runs a brutal and violent gold fish fighting ring. True story.

_

6. JStokes

Exactly. The Jags absolutely need to take him.

_

7. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I think Manziel, Carr, and Bridgewater all will go in the top 5. Of course I'm not sure exactly where each of them will go, but I think it will be Manziel at 1 and Carr at 3, and Bridgewater will either go at 2 if someone trades up or 5 to Oakland. I don't think he's a likely candidate to go to Cleveland having admitted he struggles throwing a cold ball... but I wouldn't be surprised if they do go ahead and draft him. There are just too few good QBs in the league to make 32 competitive teams right now, and it's no coincidence that the teams drafting at the top need them.

I would be thrilled if Houston ends up taking Bridgewater or Bortles letting the Browns draft Manziel.

JMO.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The #1 pick is going to have a huge effect on the animal spirits hovering over the draft process. If it's not a QB then it's easy to see all the top 10 teams deciding to wait until the 2nd round to do their business. The Browns obviously would lead that process with the Indy 1st round pick. If it's a QB then you might see panic set in and as many as 4 QB's go in the top 8.

#1 Johnny Manziel and #1 Jadaveon Clowney are completely different draft scenarios. It's going to be fascinating to watch that play out.

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

It would be better for the Jets if QB's go in the top 8.. That leaves more skill players for us to choose from.

The 1985er likes this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't disgree with your hopes about a run but I do not think it appears very realistic. The problem is there are 6 good but not great QBs all ranked at roughly the same value in Bortles, Manziel, Carr, Bridgewater, Garoppolo, Mettenberger. Some even argue McCarron and Savage should be on that list. The only one that seems to be a consensus above the others is Bortles. After Bortles why would a team want to waste a 1st round pick on a QB when they can get one of almost equal value in rounds 2-3 or possibly later. That is the problem players like Bridgewater are having. A team could land Mettenberger in rounds 2 or 3 and come out with a QB that many have rated higher. With so many good but not great QBs and not that many QB needy teams (Houston, Jax, Oak, TB, Minny, Cle and Ariz) it is likely that many QBs will slip. Also consider the depth of the draft at other positions means more attractive options than taking a QB. Some of these QBs will drop once Hou, Jax Cle and Minny have taken their QBs.

If you believe what is being said Houston, Clevand and Tampa (unless Bortles is there) will not take QBs in the top 10. My bet is Bortles, and/or Manziel/Carr go in the 1st round. With Jax taking Bortles Minny Carr and Manziel going to Cleveland at 26 or Houston at 33. Garroplo in the 2nd along with possibly Metz and Bridgewater. As Jet fans we should be hoping for a large run on QBs in round one. But I am not sure that is very realistic as teams should be able to get such good value in rounds 2 and later.

#470 Noam, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  11. Br4d

What's really interesting is that all of the QB's except for Bortles have secondary characteristics in play that are shaping their value as a 1st round pick at this point.

Manziel is like a force of nature/showman who is seen as the only guy that could singlehandedly lead a change in a team's fortunes due to his outsize personality and never give give up playing style. This despite the fact that his small stature and lesser experience at the collegiate level also means he's the biggest unknown of the class in terms of risk vs reward. Drafting Johnny Manziel will be a franchise-altering move whether he succeeds or fails. The hoopla around him will make the next 6 months a very exciting time for the team that takes him followed by what in September?

This is why he makes sense for Jacksonville and Cleveland at the moment, both down-trodden franchises with little hope where some fairy dust could go a long way and become a watershed moment if he succeeds.

Bridgewater is the incumbent so to speak, with the heavy mantle of favorite to go high long worn and being pulled off his shoulders by the extreme scrutiny that position brings in the pre-draft process. In many ways he's like Geno last year, as the curtain rises and instead of the guy everybody thought was going to be standing there we have a series of questions and not enough answers. Even so, he's a much safer high pick than Manziel because it's pretty clear you could fit him in the right rookie bubble with a lot of talent around him and probably start him from day one without having him blow the whole thing up on you.

He makes sense for Houston, if that's the way they want to go, because they have enough talent on offense that they're not going to have to expose him early on. In theory you give him a year to adjust to the NFL without demanding too much of him and you coach out the deficiencies that are beginning to emerge, all of which except for his hands are coachable.

Carr has the arm for the NFL and he's the only senior likely to go in the 1st round. The question is whether he's worthy of a top 10 pick or whether somebody is going to get a potential franchise QB in the twenties. He's the one guy I'd hate to see the Patriots draft this year.

CleveSteve thinks he's going in the top 5 and if so he may be the only QB that goes that high.

It's just a fascinating draft because you know half of these guys are going to bust but who will bust and who will make it is an open question. It's not Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf but the contrast in styles and presentation is as wide as it's been in a long time.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Please post links to these articles. I'm not doubting you, but that said, anyone could claim anything. For instance, I could post that a number of articles of late state that Houston is going to definitely take Teddy #1. I think that when any of us post something like that citing articles that we need to provide links.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It is absolutely laughable to me that Bortles is the consensus best of the lot. I think he's the worst and by a lot. I think he's the one most likely to be an utter and complete bust.

CleveSteve likes this.
  14. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

He hasn't necessarily been bad, but the buzz seems to have come out of nowhere all at once. He's got the physical tools but he's too raw to be a 1st rounder.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Bleacher Report saying now he'll go first

16. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

I could probably get a job at the goddamn Bleacher Report.

Poeman likes this.
  17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

So many smoke screens, so many deceptions, so many rumors will fly hoping to discourage some team from drafting a player so that they can be drafted later in the draft...sometimes it even works.

18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

All part of the gamesmanship that is the NFL draft, right? It's almost like this one event is the front office's Superbowl, only every team's got a chance to win, only one knows if it did win until many years later. All good stuff.

19. Br4d

It's not just gamesmanship. Name the year that the QB prospects were as jumbled as this year. It's just never happened. The reason is that so many juniors chose to come out this year. Having Manziel in the mix just increases what is already a very volatile situation. Having nobody who both looks like the prototypical NFL prospect and has also been widely followed for a year or two is part of the issue.

If Teddy Bridgewater was 6'4" 225 lbs this would be seen as a two QB draft tops, with Bridgewater the consensus #1 and Manziel the big wild card, but certainly not taken before Bridgewater. Bortles would be a 2nd round pick under that scenario. Carr would be a late 1st/early 2nd pick.

20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Smoke and mirrors have always been a part of the draft, and it's really good this year. This is evidenced by our inability to adequately gauge this year's QB prospects.

We simply do not have any legitimate insight into what they're doing, or how they're rating QBs. Little has changed since the end of the college football season except for the combine and pro days, which are only two data points. They're important, for sure, but we do not know their weight in front office evaluations. All our insight comes from sports media.

I'm not a scout or even a white collar guy, but I know enough to know that you more football than I do. Still, I would caution reading too much into what's coming out about the QBs. Its been said many times over, the QB position is the most important in all sports. That's why the position fascinates us: we all want to see the next superstar. Additionally, we're still in the shadow of the 2012 draft, which only increased the demand for draft coverage of QB prospects.

As Jets fans, we know the sports media doesn't exemplify truth in reporting on our team, and the same could be said about the draft. That isn't too say that front offices always correctly evaluate players. However we should be careful not to project our own inabilities to grade prospects onto them. They might be having a much easier time than us, and just sending smoke through the media.

Sent using Tapatalk