Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Are you even aware that you ignore the points others make when they do not fit with your set opinions?

Do you not agree that the major factor in Tanny's firing was the Sanchez contract extension?

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Latest from who?

3. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I was hoping that also. Idzik being fired would had be very good news. Just kidding.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think some people can't discern the difference between free agent activity and going on a free agent spending spree.

Anybody who thinks the Jets have been inactive in FA (or "doing very little") is deluded, they have already signed 12 free agents this offseason, people get mad about them not signing the players they are personally pining for and deem that inactivity.

All Gas No Shake and The 1985er like this.
  5. Big Blocker

I posted previously about the cornerback situation, which you ignored. I have never said I wanted all candidates to be signeed, and in fact approve the Decker signing, the Vick one not so much, although on balance it's probably a net plus.

You are overstating the nature of the crticisms of Idzik.

Identifying the right level of activity in FA must take into account a number of factors, and does not depend on some template that applies to every NFL team. There is no one level of activity that is right for every team.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The major factor in Tanny's firing was a failed 2007 to 2010 draft sequence that made only 17 picks in 4 years. That led directly to Tanny overpaying Revis, Sanchez, Holmes, Harris and several others. When you've put all your value into just a few players you have to hang onto them or you have nothing to show for your efforts. You have to hang on even when they make demands that are almost impossible to meet. You have to hang on even when their play begins to suggest that they might not be what you hoped.

The Sanchez contract extension was the straw that broke the camel's back. The major factors that led to that straw landing occurred years in advance of the breakdown.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  7. Geno007

I don't think anybody saying the Jets are inactive in FA. It just the way Idzik is losing some FA over a few dollars

8. Don

Seven of them are our own which is fine but they are same players that didn't make the playoffs last year. One is a backup QB, 2 are on IR and the other two are ok, a starting WR and OT. Let's not make more of it than it is.

9. Big Blocker

What led to the Sanchez extension was first of all not necessary, but most at the time recognized it was a reaction to the Tebow trade, in order to salve Mark's hurt feelings. I guess you once again are forcing your perception of events to agree with your general understanding of the world. We all do that to a certain extent, of course, but sometimes in your case you really go too far.

In any event you said it was poor drafts and not FA that led to overpaying. Earlier today you said it was overspending in FA.

I think you are contradicting yourself.

10. Big Blocker

Exactly.

11. Br4d

The CB situation is not the dire straits that people make it out to be. Signing a mid-tier CB to a high-tier contract was not the answer and the Jets had no other options in phase one free agency. The market for CB's was hot this year and several teams made mistakes they will regret for years to come, the Giants among them.

I happen to agree with you on the last issue, however the Jets were not in a position to benefit from veteran free agency this year. Did you not watch what happened to the Bucs last year and take from that a cautionary note? If you're the Patriots or the Broncos and you invest some money in veteran free agent defenders you at least have the fall back point that your QB is likely to keep you afloat if all else fails.

If you're the Jets you have no idea if the QB is going to float you or sink you next year and so investing a lot of money in veteran free agent defenders is just an extremely risky move. Nothing like screwing up the cap (again) and then having to draft a young QB (again) and watching it all fall to pieces (again).

I'd also say that going all in on veteran free agency has never been the right move to date and there's no reason to believe anything changed this year. Maybe Peyton Manning and the Broncos will get over the top by winning it all in 2014, however even then all you'll be able to say is that having a healthy Peyton Manning makes a lot of things possible that likely would not work elsewhere.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's not a passing league, there just happens to be a bunch of elite QBs out there. The Seahawks won the superbowl, beating the best passing team in the league with a solid running game and defense. It's a pass stopping league right now and it's obvious based on the CBs that have been moving around and getting big deals. Obviously passing is important and rules favor the offense but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

#1592 Barcs, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  13. Br4d

I stopped reading at this point. If you're going to post as much as you do please have the facts straight.

14. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Its become the cliche response but the ignore feature is here for all of our benefit.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

What FAs did the Jets lose over a "few dollars"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I tried that. It's not as fun it's hard to understand when you see others responding to them.

17. Don

Nobody know that for sure, all you can say is we lost people we wanted and we still have 26M to spend this year and another 50-60M next.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Even though we don't need him we'd more than likely be set at RB for awhile, just as long as he's willing to accept his role in a platoon system. He and Ivory along with Powell is arguably the best running attack in the league.

19. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Can anyone find me a link to next years possible free agents please?

20. Geno007

So if we signed CJ? Doesn't that make our run more then solid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.