If Johnny Manziel is there at 18, would you take him?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DMarsh6, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Would you draft Johnny Manziel at 18?

1. Yes

26.0%
  2. No

74.0%
  1. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I have seen some mocks where he falls to 18 and the Jets pull the trigger... interested to see how Gang Green would feel about this. Personally I would be a little mad and would want a WR but I understand the WR class is deep. I still think Geno deserves a fair shot.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He isn't falling to 18.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Not Manziel, let someone else have this headache.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Whether the Jets take a QB early in the draft should depend almost solely on how they perceive Geno Smith at this point.

Given the quality of the QB candidates in the draft the only factor they should consider is how they feel about the one they have. Obviously if they were sitting in the top 3 and a genuine once every 5 years franchise candidate was there things would be different.

5. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I remember last year people were saying no way Milliner falls to us at 9.

I don't think anyone thought Geno Smith would fall to 39 last year.

Aaron Rodgers fell to number 24.

Anything can happen.

6. Falco21

Dee Milliner is a corner.

Geno Smith was not the hyped quarterback Manziel is. He won't be there at 18

7. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

If he fell to 18 I would hope for a trade down with some other sucker.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Manziel has as much chance of being there at 18 as Clowney does.

9. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

For those that say no chance:

Here is a random first 10 picks I just made:

1) Houston- DE J. Clowney
    2) St. Louis- T Greg Robinson
    3) Jacksonville- QB Blake Bortles
    4) Cleveland- WR Sammy Watkins
    5) Oakland- OLB K. Mack
    6) Atlanta- T Jake Matthews
    7) Tampa Bay- TE E. Ebron
    8)Minnesota- QB T. Bridgewater
    9) Buffalo- FS H. Clinton-Dix
    10) Detroit- CB J. Gilbert

Now this is definitely a plausible top 10 and not one pick here will make you scratch your head.

Now with picks 11-17 who really needs a QB? All I'm saying is, it's a real possibility. Like someone mentioned, I would rather trade down and have maybe a team like Cleveland trade it's other 1st and some other picks to get em.

10. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

it's definitely possible, there was a report a few days ago and a lot of NFL teams aren't completely sold on the big 3 and have ranked garoppolo, mettenberger, carr, and savage

11. Don

I think it's all smoke and if any of them are still there at 10-15 somebody will be trading back up to grab one of them. If they don't like the QBs in this year's draft they never will.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

As others have said, none of those others were even close to the hyped up prospect that Manziel is nor did any of them win a Heisman and have a shot at back to backs. Manziel won't be there at 18 so it's a moot point.

13. Falco21

In order for Manziel to drop to us, he would need to fall through:

Houston
    Jacksonville
    Cleveland
    Oakland
    Tampa Bay
    Minnesota
    Tennessee
    St. Louis (twice)
    Chicago
    Detroit

No way that's happening. Sorry to disappoint

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

huge fan of Manziel but I wouldn't take him. this would just bring us back to a circus mentality.

15. Br4d

Manziel is the first prospect I have seen that I could make just as good a case for going on the 1st pick of the draft as on the 1st pick of the 2nd round. There's no way of knowing how he's valued by the NFL at this point but I suspect it's going to be an animal spirits thing: either everybody wants him ASAP or he'll fall through to the 2nd round.

DMarsh6 likes this.
  16. Falco21

No way he falls that far. Sorry. A guy like Geno, yes I saw that coming, but Manziel? With the hype and play he had in college? No way. Someone before us will take a gamble on him

17. Br4d

Drew Brees was a great college QB who was the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year as a Sophomore and as a Senior. He had 521 yards RUSHING as a Senior with a 5.5 average carry. Teams couldn't pull the trigger on him in the 1st round because the questions surrounding him were as plentiful as the talent he displayed.

I don't see Manziel as that much different from Brees. I think he's still going to have enough questions that he could fall through to the 2nd like Brees did. Brees led the Big Ten in pass attempts, completions and yards each year he started at Purdue. He was just as much a factor there as Manziel was at Texas A&M.

DMarsh6 likes this.
  18. Don

He will never ever get to the second round. We would take him, sure as shit NE would they have already had him in for a visit, and probably every other team between us and the end of the round.

19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear the Texans are going with Clowney. If they had the pass rush the Rams do, it wouldn't be so clear cut but Brooks Reed and Whitney Mercilus haven't been cutting it. Then you look at the Rams, and it's 1 of three options for them Robinson/Matthews, Watkins, or trade back. Unless the Browns or Vikings are in love with Bridgewater and want to trade ahead of the Jags, no one is going to trade up. The Rams have Jake Long, a top LT under contract, and they only really need a RT and there are a few starting caliber RTs in the draft. The have another 1st rounder for some flexibility, so I see them taking Watkins to give Bradford a starting top WR who will demand double teams. Watkins opens up a lot of room for Tavon Austin to use his speed and versatility, because right now he gets too much attention. I just can't see the Rams passing on such a big time playmaker. That being said, the Jags are going QB. They just took a top LT 2nd overall last year, and they have their choice of QB. Bridgewater is the most pro ready, so I doubt the Jags pass on him. Manziel can e really good in this league, but Bridgewater is the much safer pick. To me the top 10 picks are most likely:

1HOU-Clowney
    2STL-Watkins
    3JAC-Bridgewater
    4CLE-Manziel
    5OAK-Mack
    6ATL-Robinson
    7TB-Matthews
    8MIN-Bortles
    9BUF-Clinton-Dix
    10DET-Evans

-or-
    1HOU-Clowney
    2CLE(STL)-Bridgewater
    3JAC-Watkins
    4TB(STL)-Robinson
    5OAK-Mack
    6ATL-Matthews
    7STL-Evans
    8MIN-Bortles/Manziel
    9TEN(BUF)-Gilbert
    10DET-Clinton-Dix

-or-
    1HOU-Clowney
    2STL-Watkins
    3JAC-Bridgewater
    4CLE-Mack
    5BUF(OAK)-Robinson
    6ATL-Matthews
    7TB-Evans
    8MIN-Bortles/Manziel
    9OAK-Clinton-Dix
    10DET-Gilbert

I think the top option is most likely. In the second option, TB moves up ahead of OAK because they are afraid OAK and ATL take the two OT's and STL is willing to move after Watkins goes at 3. Since Evans is gone, TEN wants to move up since BUF would likely go HCD and DET would go Gilbert. (BUF can go Ebron at 11). The third option is a possibility if CLE takes Mack and BUF is in the market for an upgrade at OT, since OAK will be more willing to move back and the tackles would go 6 and 7 almost assuredly.

DMarsh6 likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If either option 2 or 3 happens, Bortles or Manziel will probably be there at 18. If Cleveland really likes whichever one is left, we could probably trade with them (we have a good working relationship) if they are worried ARI at 20 or CIN at 24 so we'd move back to 26. But that would only happen if the Jets thought none of the players remaining were worth the 18th pick.

DMarsh6 likes this.