Legitimate concerns about Idzik

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Part of doing well in any exchange is learning to buy low and sell high. Assuming the market is not rigged it's the thing you have to do.

In a capped environment where you are restricted to X overall value plus a moderate deviation in any given year the principle applies even more so.

It's very possible the Jets were looking for a decent CB out of free agency, at last year's price - which was about 55% of this year's going rate. When they made early inquiries they would have discovered that the price was going to be much higher and the operational mode in tier 1 free agency would likely have changed to wait and see.

Anybody who thinks giving Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a 5 year 35 million dollar deal was a good move is either a heavy gambler or a desperate Giant's GM.

The idea that because you have excessive assets, in the form of plentiful cap space, you need to run out and turn them into excessive liabilities, in the form of bad player contracts, is false. That's what the majority of the big ticket signings in free agency turn into: an exchange of excessive assets for excessive liabilities.

The Jets have some appreciating assets on their current roster. They're going to have to pay those guys at some point soon. Having the money and cap space to do that is much better than buying 28 year old guys looking for their last big pay day and playing in their third city in five years. There's a reason it's their third city in five years.

Brook! and 74 like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

^^^ yeah seems if Idzik can get a steal in FA he will. Otherwise he'll bet on the draft.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We will find out just how cheap he is when Johnson gets released.

4. Br4d

Very cheap.

5. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

To be perfectly honest, I have no urge in CJ. Hell, Chris Ivory had a higher YPC last year than Johnson has had any year 2009 notwithstanding, and he was banged up.

Johnson has nice stats because he gets almost 300 carries a season. Our OL is not much better than Tennessee's.

In the next few years, we're going to need to replace Brick, Colon, and Giacomini. Mangold a couple years after that.

No to CJ.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Is English your second language? An article reporting something in the past is not "speculating" about what happened.

I also guess as a newbie Jet fan you didn't watch them at the end of 2012, either, when Coples was standing up outside from time to time.

Btw, how many games did Foles play in 2012? That year seems to be a problem for you.

7. Big Blocker

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's pretty much why fans are complaining right now, fans want the Jets to spend every damn dime, look at the posts in this thread. Pretty good article.

9. Big Blocker

You completely misunderstand the concerns about Idzik.

It's not choice as I said between doing nothing and spending as much as possible. Even Idzik obviously has done SOME things. The question is whether more should have been done by now.

It is not anyone's pov I am aware of that EVERYTHING POSSIBLE should have been done. That is a distortion of the position taken by those who question him.

alleycat9 likes this.
  10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

First, I have no idea where in gods name the assumption came from that I'm a "newbie" Jets fan.

The quote from that article is "As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping hints about Quinton Coples becoming more of an edge player. He'll be on the edge, all right. Coples, used mostly as an interior lineman as a rookie, will be moved to 3-4 outside linebacker, according to a league source."

This quote is as good as speculation. "A league source"? Really? "Ryan started dropping hints"? Really? If anyone had taken this seriously for the months leading up to the draft it would have been reported. If you can find a single shred of reported evidence that came out before the draft, the idea that defensive line was somehow a "need" for the Jets leading up to the draft might be considered valid. Anyone can write anything and say someone said months ago according to a "source."

Despite my mistake about the number of games Foles played, there is not a single person on this board who would consider a 3rd round QB who played in half his rookie season an available "veteran QB"

#990 MaximusD163, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  11. MaximusD163

Or am I to assume that because Sheldon Richardson played some snaps at RB or ILB this year Rex will be planning to transition him to one of those positions? They are versatile players, with different abilities that can be used in numerous different ways. No one was surprised Rex used Coples on the outside some his rookie year, he has skills that can make him effective there sometimes. Just as no one was surprised Rex lined up Coples at every defensive line position at different times in 2013. Versatility is great, but none of that points to defensive line being a need. It's as I said in another post, there are 8 main corps on a football team. Adding a draft pick to any of these corps makes them at least a little better, sometimes a lot. Often, adding a player to one corp makes another corp better. Richardson was a great pick, but we did not have defensive line need.

12. Big Blocker

Again, we talked about that here before last year's draft. We remembered that Coples even before he was drafted was touted as a flexible talent who could both play out of the line set or also standing up on the edge. Which he did more of late in the 12 season. Over the winter Rex was heard to talk about playing him more as a linebacker.

Again, you misunderstand the word speculation. Speculation is a fancy word for guessing. It is not a synonym for quoting an anonymous source.

About Foles, yes you sure did make a mistake. I couldn't care less how you define veteran. In the context of last year's discussion it merely meant that some here including myself felt that Foles had a track record playing in the NFL that was promising enough for the Jets to have been interested in him.

I like to argue as much as the average person here, but you are really a waste of time. You want to pick at silly things, miss big facts like about Foles, and ignore the context in which the larger points are made. A perfect example is how you go off from a point I made at post 965 here, as follows:

"And ftrI was not one of those who dissed the Richardson pick. I was more concerned about the Smith pick last off season since it conflicted with what I thought they should have done, which was pick up a vet Qb like Foles, Orton, even Cutler if possible, instead of a rookie with big questions."

It should be obvious I was comparing Foles to a rookie with questions. Now, of course you at the time thought that Foles had only played 1.5 games in 12. Heh. But when I pointed out that was a big mistake, you continued he argument in your inimitable snotty style about the definition of the word veteran. I guess that's just your style here. But your style sucks.

13. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

The who season. I'm I right? Lol

14. Big Blocker

More semantics. If Rex wanted to use Coples on the outside standing up, who was going to play DE as a down lineman?

The point is that Richardson allowed Rex to do what he wanted to do with Coples.

15. MaximusD163

Lol you're the one who refused to read my rebuttal, don't forget. I'm not really sure how you can accuse me of ignoring context when you literally ignore entire arguments because you know they make you look foolish. I admit to being mistaken about the number of games Foles played in, but why would Philly trade away Foles when the only other QB they had was Vick on a 1 year deal? Talk about a pipe dream. You on the other hand have not replied to any of my questions about whether you know how the salary cap or draft value works. Also, again, Cutler was so far out of the realm of what the Jets could afford, talk about an even bigger pipe dream.

Antonio Garay was signed as a FA to do exactly that, come in and play DT or DE when Coples moved outside on certain downs. Richardson was clearly a beast in camp, making Garay's roster spot completely unnecessary.

16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

It's hard to accept this reality:

Take Revis off NE and put him in a Jet uniform for 2014, and this entire off-season picture is drastically different, regardless of what happens in the draft.

We would have had to be considered if not the favorites, at least legitimate contenders, to win the AFC East. NE would have had to overpay for DRC, work a trade for a legit corner, take a hard look at drafting a CB early, or otherwise count on Alfonzo Dennard as its #1 CB.

Ozymandias likes this.
  17. Br4d

Let me ask you a question here before we continue this line of thought.

What did you think the Bucs were going to do last year after they got Revis?

18. Big Blocker

Foles last off season was still set to be second string behind Vick. The thinking was that the Jets could trade for him, and make him the starter. Would Philly have refused any reasonable trade offer? We don't know because the Jets did not attempt that. Cutler was unsigned entering his contract's last year. If it was so certain that the Bears were going to keep him, why did they not sign a new contract before the season? Of course they have sicne the end of 13, but the thinking was perhaps they might be willing to part with him. It was worth a try, and you are pulling it out of your hiney hole to say it was an absolute certainty he would not leave Chicago.

Like I said, the points about Foles and Cutler were about an aside where last off season I was more opposed to the Smith pick than Richardson. You focus on whatever it takes to argue with me because I own you, then you make a huge mistake about Foles, and when THAT is pointed out, you argue about the definition of a veteran versus a rookie. Because you are an asshole.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i agree that was the one move which would have changed the entire perception of this offseason.
    would have had more impact on the D than any other single move..... and signing with the Patriots had a double impact on the negative.

not sure if that would make us favorites in the AFCE, but it would make the Jets a lot better, and the Pats not nearly as solid on D. If the Pats ever win another one, its going to be due to improved D.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Doesn't it feel like we are never go a win the AFC east no matter what?its just been so long since we won the division I don't even know what its like anymore .I thought we stood a realistic chance this year depending on what we did in free agency and the draft,now I'm not so sure anymore