Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Overpaid for Decker? He's making around the same money as Stevie Johnson. That's fair.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

In FA to get the big names you kind of have to overpay, that doesn't guarantee success though. Our GM has a plan and is sticking to it, I like that. There have been questionable moves but let's see how it plays out. Every year certain teams win the offseason w/ big FA moves, how often do those teams actually win?

JetBlue and Geno007 like this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No he shouldn't, he would be commended if he was competitive. The cap went up 10% this year and will go up even more next. Salaries for most positions do too and everybody but Idzik seems to get it.

4. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Now this would be a very exciting signing. Solid 1+2 punch, with Johnson and Ivory, different running styles. Tire defenses with Ivory and then bring in Johnsons elusiveness, very dangerous combo. Draft either Cooks, Ebron, Beckham or Lee, and all of a sudden we have a very explosive offense.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  5. nyjunc

Again, he's not building for 2014. today's FAs are tomorrow's forgotten players. if he went on a spending spree for players he didn't love and didn't have money to spend next year you would whine that he overpaid and couldn't get more players. Maybe he likes next year's FA class better? I don't think he will ever build through FA, he will add pieces here and there but our teams will be built through the draft.

we have TWELVE picks in what is considered the deepest draft of the last 20 years. That is more exciting than FA.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

free agency is not a competition.

Brook!, Jets1Zero and FJF like this.
  7. nyjunc

Our O is going to be vastly improved. I can't wait.

8. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

People keep saying what you want Izdik to overpay.But the facts are not one FA we was suppose to want got over paid. In fact I think of all FA that been signed so far Decker has the best chance out of all them to be overpaid. He got more questions then any of them.

#228 Geno007, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Im down wit signing CJ1K. If geno isn't going to throw much next season were going to need somebody to make that big play to give us a spark every once in a while on offense . That would be CJ

10. JetBlue

its not just a matter of overpaying, it is about under paying players that are not elite. elite players are expensive and take up so much cap room that you need to under pay every other player as much as possible, and you do that by drafting studs who are on their rookie contracts (and then having the foresight to save up for them when it expires) and finding the free agents that are value.

11. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I love the idea of OBJ, decker and Kerley with Ivory and Johnson in the backfield. I'll be upset if we take Lee over Beckham, if it comes down to that.

Ozymandias likes this.
  12. Geno007

I understanding that but you can do both with cap space we have. Let say we signed Jackson to the deal he got from the Redskins. Let also say we get CJ for 6mil a year for 3 years. That leaves us with 16mil left in cap space. To sign our draft pics like Mo and if we draft some players worth keeping in this year draft in 3 years D-Jax and CJ is off the books and free up 14mil for us.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

That's great in all but Rex is still fighting for his job ,I don't think he gives a shit about Idziks supposed plan .I never wanted big splash signings i don't think anyone did.I think we all just wanted some holes filled with quality players and expected more with the cap space we have.A few WRs and a saftey or a solid corner and it would have been a great free agency

14. nyjunc

Rex will have more talent to work with than he has since 2010 ended.

15. JetBlue

available cap space is irrelevant to the strategy I proposed. just because we have the space doesn't mean the player is worth spending it on. we can argue whether we personally feel this year's free agents were worth their contact value, but the strategy is that unless we are talking about an absolute elite player then you don't bog down your salary cap with high priced position players who are just very good and pay them at the height of the very good pay scale.

you have to save your money for elite players, so when you have them you don't lose them or when they become available you can sign them. and because those elite players cost so much and take up so much cap space, you can't waste that space on players that aren't elite. the way to do that is find value at the positions, that occurs through the draft, late cuts or simply shrewd deals. but history shows that the teams that are most active in free agency and sign the good players even for fair deals do not turn that into significant success. unfortunately in the NFL you have to underpay to build a team that can sustain success for the long term.

we can say the Patriots have been successful because they have Brady, but that would ignore that they also underpay and get value out damn near the rest of the team. pay your elite players elite money, which takes up huge parts of your cap, and underpay everyone else. you can't do that if you are trying to outbid other teams in free agency.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

You don't go to the dollar store to for supplies to repair your house..:p

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yea but his numbers went up with Manning as his QB so according to the RE-RE logic by some no here he's nothing more than a product of Manning.

18. Geno007

First white has nothing to do with it in my eyes. Second he going to be our #1 wr and I don't know if he can handle the double teams he going to get. Plus I have yet hear any expert that says he is a #1 wideout.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This whole idea of a "#1 receiver" is a joke, the goal here is to get multiple targets for Geno Smith. Marty wants wide-outs that can lineup over the field. X, y or Z. As far as I am concerned, I don't think Decker has many questions regarding his production. He's not the fastest guy, but he runs some really good routes and is very physical. It will be nice to have a receiver that can beat press coverage.

Pair him up with M.Lee and you got 2 receivers that can play anywhere on the field and be a tough matchup.

20. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

this isn't basketball free agency, at our stage one or two players will not make us contenders or even playoff contenders. we just have to wait till draft day, lets not make the same mistakes as tanny did before. at first i disliked idziks approach but i'm coming to to appreciate it more and more now. he is trying to turn around this franchise with giving rex a chance, and trying to keep rex under control this time. rex has been humbled, and he knows hes not a dead man walking now. lets see what he can do, the guy loves being a jet

MaximusD163 and mikey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.