Vick is miles better than Sanchez and Geno,not even close

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by champmv7, Mar 23, 2014.

1. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I hate making comparisons but its a good thing The Colts didn't give up on Manning his rookie season. No I'm not comparing Geno to Manning that would be stupid. The Jets gave Muck many, many more chances at a much higher undeserved cost.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. SackExchange69

I agree but nobody knows if Geno will progress and do better this year and even better next year. Vick on the other hand, you know what your going to get. For a veteran with his NFL experience I'm not impressed.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Letting Geno learn from the bench while Vick is the caretaker of the offense doesn't equate to giving up on Geno. This used to be the norm for how QB's were integrated into NFL offenses. Being a second round pick, we don't have to go all-in on Geno right away.

He wasn't ready last year and I doubt he'll be ready come training camp.

4. SackExchange69

I disagree. Vick isn't going to lead this team anywhere. He couldn't do it in the past with better players and he isn't going to do it this year. Having him compete to start aginst Geno is nothing but a waste of time.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Did you quote the wrong post? I don't know how you can disagree with facts.

I do disagree with your assertion that it's a waste of time.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Here's a post I pretty much agree with across the board. I also wanted to get Foles last off season.

But your points about Smith v. Vick are on the money.

If Vick gets a real chance to compete for the starting job, and stays healthy through pre-season, he will be the starter.

I just don't see his coming to the team as doing much to build it. It seems more in line, which I agree is a good thing to consider, with doing two things at once, which are to become more competitive in the short run, and then also to cover the team in the event, which I think is likely, that Smith would not signficantly improve.

Smith would have to show up in camp as a different player than we saw last year to beat out Vick, and i don't see that happening.

The problem with signing Vick is that he is likely to miss games, and meanwhile the Jets run the risk of not getting to see enough of Smith. Perhaps that will not prevent them from going first round in the draft at Qb next off season, which I think is what they should do, but not seeing enough of Smith could be a problem.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This signing says a lot about the coaching staff thinks of Geno. To me it tells us Geno is not close to ready and needs a ton of work. If they draft another QB in the first few rounds it tells us they have little to no confidence that Geno will make it. What the Vick signing tells us today is the Jets are not rebuilding they want to win next season and don't think Geno is ready.

8. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I agree, I think some time on the pine would do Geno some good anyway. As long as Vick stays healthy he should win the job easily and be our qb starting day. Geno improved but he will need to get much better in the offseason if he wants to make this 'qb competition' an interesting one.

9. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

If the jets really wanted solid qb play they could have done much better than Vick. I'm not down on the man, good on him for the 5m contract it's just smells of a publicity stunt to me.
    Vick is the single most overhyped player next to tebow. Vick is ten times better than tebow, I'm strictly talking hype. We need consistency not hype and unfortunately Vick is consistenly injured or underwhelming. Still, for as much as Vick isn't ideal I'd take him over Sanchez for what that's worth.
    Fml we are screwed!

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What I would want to see from Geno if he was be the starter next season is the comprehension of the office. He does not have to be all pro but he has show a big improvement in his ability to read defense and make quick decision. If we have limit the play book on how we would attack a defense that puts the Jets on their heels the entire game. The entire playbook needs to be available.

Mart schemed last season around Geno this season he needs scheme for our opponent.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Who was available that was much better?

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Do you really think it's reasonable to cherry pick the worst six games of a rookie quarterback and project future success (or failure) based on that?

13. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

For a team that wants to pound it a qb like Josh mccown would be better fit.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I would have preferred Schaub. What names do you include in "they could have done much better than Vick?"

15. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

Again, all Rex needs is a qb who will protect the ball and complete at 60%.
    Think Chad Pennington, jmo...

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

McCown was shit his entire career until he landed with Testman as a HC and had Marshall and Jeffery at wideout with Forte in the backfield.

You think he'd be good here too?

Mister OMG likes this.
  17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    HEY "VICK BLOWS" - WHERE ARE YOU??

18. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

To me, this Vick signing reeks of the Favre debacle. And then we are gonna go after DJax? And are we gonna hand him a multi-year deal? What's next, Vince Young to replace Simms?

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Favre debacle? If Favre had not gotten hurt the Jets might have gone to the SB that year.

But I get your more general point, which I think that the Vick signing is a very short term measure in what overall is supposed to be a long term build up of the team. Yes, Michael Vick is not likely to be the Jets starting Qb for long even if he wins the job and succeeeds at it up to the point that can reasonably be expected of him.

But I don't believe the short term is necessarily at war with the medium to long term, either. The Jets should be more competitive with him than with Smith alone. It should make the coming season more interesting as well.

That's a good thing.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

First Mike Vick is older and more injury prone. Any player even a young one though could be injured. Even both of them. Not too long ago (2005) the Jets two Qbs got injured in the same game, Chad and Fiedler and were both out for the season. btw I'm not sure that Marty being here had anything to do with Mike signing with the Jets. Here's an article from last year about problems between Vick and Marty after the Eagles benched Mike during that 4-12 season (Dream Team) in 2012 http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01...-interested-in-joining-marty-mornhinweg-jets/.