Jets sign QB Michael Vick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Axel3419, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I don't get it, we basically signed the guy so we can give him $5 million to go directly to IR. The guy has been in the league since 2001 and he's had one 16 game season--- 8 years ago....

I'm a Virginia Tech guy, and I'm still not a fan of this move.

Also, the comment about dog fighting being part of Southern culture? I've spent almost my entire life in Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee, and I've never even heard it until the Vick incident, people down here were appalled by it.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Ah just give him number 1, it's equal to 7 in human years

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

winner

KWJetsFan likes this.
  4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

5 million is the maximum he can get which he won't. Chad Henne just got 4 million a year. Why do we need Vick to play 16 games? He is the backup quaterback?

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We coulda restructred Sanchezs contract for that same number,how is that a real good move?I rather have Sanchez as a backup then Vick

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

Oh BTW the dog Jokes are so old...Let the man and his family live their lives.... His debt has been paid... Just saying...

The 1985er likes this.
  7. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

What?.. you don't like Idzik's plan now??

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

where are these details you're getting? is it tied to the number of games he starts?

9. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I disagree with but understand the people who don't support this move from a moral standpoint. But quit your whining about the financial aspect. Backups are getting paid this year. If Fitzpatrick and Charlie fucking Whitehurst can get multi million dollar contracts Vick deserves one too.

M00ndawg likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Imma dog lover and tempted to hate Vick forever.

But then I'd have to give up my doz hot Buffalo wings, which required the slaughter of 6 birds who lived a short life in cramped horrible conditions and had their guts sucked out through their asses via an industrial shop vac.

And I'd have to give up my Italian favorite, veal cutlet parmigiano, which required a young calf to be hoisted off his feet his entire short life lest he try and walk and toughen his own flesh.

And worse, I'd have to give up my BBQ baby back ribs, which come from one of 20 piglets crammed in a cage with their mother so small the sow is forced to lie on her side her entire life for fear of her stepping on one of her babies and bruising one of the 'products'.

Someone earlier posted that unless you're a card carrying member of PETA and a Vegan, you should STFU.

Sadly, I agree.

74 and Brook! like this.
  11. DoubleDecker87

It's just common sense. Not sure if the details of the contract are out yet but he's not getting 5 million guaranteed no team is that dumb. He could literally do nothing, he could quit and still get 5 million if that was the case. It could consist of workout bonuses, snaps played, games started, all the other bs.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm not upset about the amount we paid for a veteran backup QB, I'm upset about the amount we paid a backup who we will probably have to replace by week 5, because he'll be on IR.

13. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I'm on board with the move.

But I also think Shaun Hill would have made a lot of sense for this team. Unsexy but cheap; the guy is smart, takes care of the ball, and has proven he can come in and win games. He doesn't try to do too much. He plays within himself.

I like Vick if he can stay healthy but let's be real: he's an injury waiting to happen if he ever gets on the field.

Also, he takes about as good care of the football as Sancho and Geno. He fumbles on contact and makes some of the worst decisions throwing the ball you will see.

#253 al_toon_88, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I doubt there are many incentives tied to it. The most I could see is it not all being guaranteed if he didn't make the final cut.
    Snaps played and games started? Not at all likely.

15. DoubleDecker87

Not the point, those were examples. The point is he's not getting all 5 million guaranteed and even if he were it's still a good deal.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Fine, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Many, perhaps most QBs don't have to compete for the starting job. Many other players don't either. Once they're signed as FA or drafted they are anointed the starter. Further, a player that has a strong work ethic and great character can only work so hard and so many hours a day. In that situation, having another player at the same position accomplishes nothing imo. Either the guy is good enough or he isn't.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The chances of him not getting all $5M is extremely unlikely in my opinion. What specific thing, besides him not making the cut, do you think he would have agreed to which would keep him from the entire $5m?

18. NCJetsfan

I didn't see it either and good thing. If I had, I would have nuked the dumb sob. Obviously an ignorant northerner who thinks all southerners wear bib overalls, no shoes, drink moonshine, eat possum and crap like that.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Sorry, I don't buy that. It could be true, because I don't know Foles, but he is a young QB, and I'm sure was probably hungry for a starting gig. He wasn't gonna blow his opportunity. Vick may have mentored him and taught him a lot, but I doubt he "pushed" Foles to want it any more or work any harder.

20. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Now, let's figure out how to get Evans or Ebron on this roster, pick up a CB and give NE a run for it's money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.