Our plan at CB….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

If we offer something that low, under $7m, he is going to interview with the NY Giants. I think something in the $8m+ neighborhood would enable us to sign him tomorrow, and it's important that we come away with a good cornerback from this free agency period. We don't want to lose him to another team over $500k or whatever.

2. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

The corner market is high and were losing leverage quickly

3. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Maybe so but only with DRC, the rest are just as desperate for a team as we are corners. After DRC, majority of the corners left will get veteran minimum contracts.

4. chris5533

I'm all for paying him. Lol i don't really want to think about Kyle Wilson starting at corner.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Agree, how dare the jets back themselves into a "corner" so to say. I don't think anyone on board can be to confident about our CB situation....

And for that matter, the OL either....

Regardless of who we sign in free agency going forward - I don't think we will be going into the draft saying we don't need such and such cause we got it thru free agency. Thats a shame cause we have several holes to fill and we have no room for busts.

6. chris5533

Pats signed browner, another one off the board. If this dude stays off the drugs he's real good player. Every 3 hours we run out of options.

7. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

gimme both cromarties

chris5533 likes this.
  8. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Opposing QBs would have to throw... into the Crows' Nest.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I am really shocked that we did not sign a cb or a safety,,,,,,,never mind the other glaring needs

10. chris5533

It's getting scary. I keep hoping to see jets sign DRC .he can't leave the facility without a deal.

11. kleckotheman

kleckotheman Member

Jets have to sign DRC.
    Not overpay but proivide fair market value. He is the key to a successful off season.
    Can't go in to the draft, let alone the season, without a true #1 CB across from Millner.
    Then adding a pass rush 3-4 OLB in the draft to bookend Coples will make their coverage lives easier.

Interesting ESPN Insider analysis I posted below on the Talib signing. It was rated as one of the 5 poorest signings so far.
    The interesting bit is the reference to his performance vs DRC. Clearly DRC is the guy we need:

ESPN
    There is a lot that makes sense about this move. The Broncos needed to add a corner with Champ Bailey leaving town and Chris Harris blowing out his knee late in the season, but they elected to throw money at Talib over extending Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who had a better season and was already in the building.

Other than interceptions (where he trailed by one), Rodgers-Cromartie bettered Talib's coverage numbers across the board in 2013. He allowed fewer catches (30 to 38), 143 fewer yards, a lower percentage of targets to be caught (44.1 to 53.5) and broke up more passes (10 to 7 PDs) while passers throwing into his coverage ended the season with a rating of just 67.8 as opposed to the 72.3 when aiming at Talib.

His PFF coverage grade (attained from play-by-play grading of his season) was a plus-11.0 compared to Talib's minus-5.8, and he avoided being eviscerated during the season the way Talib was by Browns wideout Josh Gordon. Given the cost of this contract for Talib, a guy with plenty of question marks, you have to think the smarter deal would have been to lock up the player that was already in-house.

To really rub salt in the wounds the Patriots then replaced Talib with Darrelle Revis for one-year at $12 million. Revis is the player that Talib threatens to be at his very best. Denver was rumored to be interested in Revis all along, but instead pulled the trigger on Talib for more money.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  12. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I wish we didn't have to constantly chase top-flight CBs in the Draft and Free Agency to have a successful Defense.

13. chris5533

I think besides qb it's the hardest position to fill. Most teams chase a quality cb

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

We need DRC plain and simple. There's no way around it. Young and a top shelf corner.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Wow. Very interesting info. Did not realize this at all

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Haha! I would love that! If Antonio doesn't sign elsewhere he will be cheap.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

So far the only corner we have met with is DRC. If you enjoy watching the secondary get torched, then sure, don't bother with the position. It's only the most important piece of the Rex Ryan D. Who needs that? It's not a coincidence that the better teams out there all signed top level CBs. CB will probably be our only big move on defense this off season. I see the rest of the money going to the offense aside from cheap bargain players. CB matters.

#97 Barcs, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I highly doubt that Idzik knows more than Rex about his own forte. However, we can accurately say Rex has an old-school mentality when it comes to philosophy: dominant Defense and efficient ball-control Offense predicated on the Running game.

Where it becomes fuzzy for me, is the level of Rex's stubbornness; or, if you want to put it another way, his unconditional faith in his own system. It's very difficult to stop the pass consistently nowadays. If that trend continues (and there's no reason to think it won't), then maybe you have to change with the times by finding a way - other than trying to stifle WRs - to have sustainable success on Defense.

Seattle was able to suffocate Denver's WRs, and so, we see that it can still work. But what is the likelihood of a team having CBs perform that well, consistently over the course of the Season? Over the course of Seasons?

We had Revis. Then, we had to get Cro. Then, we had to draft Wilson. Then, we had to draft Milliner. Now, we have to get DRC, who is considered an upper-level CB.

I'm just really starting to question a system that relies so heavily on needing the best CBs to achieve success. It doesn't seem practical anymore because of the position's difficulty. In other words, there's a good chance you won't consistently have top-flight CBs. So, what happens then?

19. Rod_2

Rod_2 Member

It seems John doesn't care Rex need a good CB. DRC has left the Jets to talk with the Giants. I think John miscalculated the market for CBs. I think $6 - 7M for a top CB is the going rate.
    OR,
    Is there an underrated CB out there that can hold down the #1 spot we're missing.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

:confused:Idzik's approach, is pure genius