2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Pettigrew cannot catch. He will be a blocking tight end.
    Cumberland is an average #2.
    Sudfeld hasn't showed enough he's a good number 3

Ebron, Amaro, ASJ, Nickolas are different brands of beasts. They can line up at WR if needed if there's good value with Ebron at 18 or the other 3 in round 2 we will take them. Too early to talk about the draft anyway

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Good points. Actually, I totally forgot about Troy Davis. Come to think of it, I don't know much about him at all, and didn't realize that he'll be relied upon in the near future.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I hope it doesn't take till midnight to hear like it did last night.

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

If he's there and Evans and Lee are gone it basically means that we have to trade back in that instance which sucks with like 11 picks. Unless Barr or somebody else drops too. Hopefully net like a 3rd to slide back 2-4 picks and then I'd be looking to trade that up with another pick to get another 2nd round pick, maybe add a starting guard with that.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with having 3 solid TEs,Ebron,Pettigrew and Cumberland.Vince Wilfork asked to be released ,we should sign him out of spite

6. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

I hear ya, hope not too

7. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

If we're rolling with Cumberland/Pettigrew I'm going to be very disappointed. I really want Ebron in this draft.

8. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Can you explain your reasoning here? I know they're extremely tough to cover and they can be a tremendous asset (ala Patriots and Saints), but their careers are so much shorter than receivers on average due to the injury potential despite the matchup advantages.

To put it simply,would you rather have Gronk or Megatron?

That said, I would love to draft Ebron if he's there.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't disagree (aren't you surprised? LOL), but we were just discussing his problems catching the ball. Of course technique and fluidity, athleticism are part of the equation too.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well I feel in a draft they are safer to get. I'm not trying to imply that Gronk is better than Calvin but in a draft scenario, I'll take the top TE instead of the 3rd or 4th best wide receiver.

11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

It's just kind of a waste of value and $ at that point to have Cumberland who will never see action. Maybe Idzik could look to trade Cumberland for like a 5th on draft day or a veteran depth player at a different position if Ebron or ASJ/Amaro are drafted. There are some options I guess but they're getting kind of Maddenesque.

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Pettigrew is a pretty good blocker, he does have inconsistent hands but he makes more plays then he doesn't and has a big frame to go up and get some.

You don't catch 154 balls in 2 years when you can't catch for shit... He won't be a game changer in the passing game but it's a nice addition.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Unfortunately TJ Ward had no intention of going to the Jets. He was Denver bound since day zero. Adam Schein today on his talk show further elaborated that the guy that drafted him in Cleveland is now with Denver and they were pretty close. Ward had no interest on the Jets.
    As I mentioned to you on another thread, I fully concur that Ward and Asamoah would have been a better option. Its unclear to me if we pursued them and got rejected or simply moved in another direction. Davis Ward and Asamoah were my top 3 desires, but I concede that Davis was over priced.
    very difficult to predict where we go with the 18th pick, might be more unexpected like an OT, or OG, or hopefully OLB if one of the two studs is still on the board, or just bite the bullet and go Safety and or CB.

14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Pettigrew seems a very mediocre pickup to me. I'd rather divert those resources elsewhere.

15. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Cumberland would not be the one let go. Also if you haven't caught many Det games Cumberland > Pettigrew

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They probably won't take Ebron even if they don't sign Pettigrew and there is a good receiver still there at 18.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Pettigrew is 100x the blocker compared to Cumberland. Ebron / Pettigrew is the better combo.

That is one sexy 2 TE set

YOYOYO likes this.
  18. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I tend to believe you on Ward though I don't believe that Asamoah would've been difficult to tempt away with some extra $. Both of those guys signed so cheap it still would've been a bargain for up to like $1m extra at the minimum and I'm not completely sold that wouldn't have made a difference to Ward either. Anyway I'd rather have had Asamoah than Pettigrew then definitely draft one of the TEs. Although despite making it hard to now draft a TE it does sort of make the draft wide open in the first 2 rounds on all other fronts, so maybe that's a point? Still seems to leave one extra hole in the roster though and doesn't necessarily capitalize on the strengths of the draft where we'll be picking in the 1st couple rounds.

19. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Pettigrew is an excellent blocking TE. Which is something the Jets really haven't had in a while (Becht is the last I can think of). Pairing him with a receiving TE like Cumberland makes for a well reounded TE corps and improves the run game at the same time. So I'm all for it...if the price is right.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why does everyone want every single FA signing to be a homerun? That's not what free agency is all about.

MoWilkNYJ likes this.