Eric Decker Officially a New York Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ctjetsguy, Mar 12, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is on Geno Smith, not the Jets. The Jets can only show him the film. Geno has a reputation for being a gym rat - I hope it applies here. If we continue to get weapons around Geno, there is no way he doesn't improve. Especially with a good offensive coordinator

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think Marty is the best coaching move this team has made since they got Bill Parcells, that is how much of a fan of his I am. But I do not take his public pronouncements at face value. I don't take any HFL coach's public statements at face value.

Marty may well have the self confidence to think he is in a position to get significantly more out of Smith. But it is still up to Smith to get it done on the field, and about that it remains to be seen whehter he will, Marty or no Marty.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Will you at least concede that the last month of Geno's rookie year gives people reason to expect he will improve, period? He was very good the last handful of games. Around 60% completion percentage, 4 TDs passing, 3 TDs rushing, only 2 turnovers.

4. Big Blocker

I think it likely that Smith will do better in 2014 than his season numbers from last year as well. But that is an awfully low standard of performance. The question is how much better will he do, and about that I have substantial concerns.

Again, he has to average upwards of 200 yards per game, and improve his ypa. I am concerned that over those last four games all his fans refer to, his ypa actually was below his season average. The approach that led to that result may also have been instrumental in cutting down on turnovers, but did not make him a much improved Qb, either.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

if Smith learns to get rid of the ball he will automatically improve significantly and that's a pretty easy thing to teach.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Geno cut down mistakes but did not take a big step forward in development. In fact the game plans were very basic to compensate for the lack of Geno's ability last season. He needs to improve so we can open up the offense and run a full playbook. He is not the first to struggle picking up the WCO out of the gates it takes a while and I expect a huge improvement next season. Completing less than double digit passes in the amount of games he did last year can not happen again.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Who threw the other half?

8. Big Blocker

Again, the Jets used a conservative passing attack in those four games. Two of those opponents were daring him to throw underneath their D, and to his and Marty's credit they took advantage. But his ypg and ypa numbers were substandard, and that is troubling.

His rushing numbers to me are a mixed bag. We all love how the threat puts opposing D's on their heels, but at the risk of losing your starting Qb to injury. Yes, very much a mixed bag.

I think he was better his last four games than the six before them. But he did not show consistent season long improvement, having played his worst football in the middle of the season, and also that he merely moved from awful to somewhat better in the last four games. I would not say he as a very good NFL Qb at any point.

9. Big Blocker

Orton had four TD passes to Decker in the first five games. In the last eleven games Tebow also threw four to Decker.

Do I need to explain the difference? Btw you could have looked it up yourself.

10. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Geno Smith was awful last season, at the end of the season he improved into a below average game manager. He needs to make a huge leap this season if he wants to play in this league.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

in 2010 Tebow had 82 attempts, Orton 498. decker caught his only TD from tebow.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

The thing with Decker is that despite Peyton being the one to throw him the ball, Eric still had to do his part of getting open a lot of the time.

Eric Decker says he did his due diligence on 23-year-old quarterback Geno Smith before agreeing to join the New York Jets.

“I did research; I didn’t go into our meeting today blind,” Decker told the Denver Post. “When you go from a Hall of Fame quarterback, no one else, no matter who it is, can be on the same level.”

Decker said it was obvious that Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg “really believes in this kid” Smith, who drew solid reviews in his rookie year but was also benched twice during a rough three-game stretch.

“When you look at the statistics, yeah, he got off to a slow start, but he was hurt early on and he finished the season strong,” Decker said. “He improved all season long in a tough market. That’s pretty impressive.”

“I’m excited about New York being my new community and starting a new chapter in my life,” Decker told the Denver Post. “On top of all that, my wife’s expecting our baby any second.”

13. 101GangGreen101

Yeah I agree, he didn't improve much in regards to the passing game at all. I do think his decision-making got a little better late in the season.

14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

15. FOURTHANDLONG

16. FOURTHANDLONG

17. FOURTHANDLONG

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

First of all we were discussing yards, as that was the stat soxxxxx brought up. Second of all, can we agree that Geno is better than Tebow? Can we also agree that Decker in year 5 is going to be better than Decker in year 2?

The point is that a more experienced Decker is very likely going to put up more yards in his 5th here with Geno in 16 games (assuming he stays healthy) than he did in year 2 with Tebow being his QB for half the season.

He's proven he can get it done with a shitty QB, a competent QB and a great QB. If we can't get better at the QB position that's not Deckers fault.

19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Cut one under-achieving, injury-prone, diva WR and then sign his replacement days later...

20. 101GangGreen101

If you do not know much about Decker check out this scouting report when Decker was entering the NFL:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/07/03/emerging-nfl-talents-wr-eric-decker/

Glad the Jets have someone that can beat Press coverage.