2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. fdcnyc

fdcnyc Active Member

If Ward had the choice between the Jets and Denver who do you think he would pick? Even if he threw in an extra year and more money he would probably pick Denver anyway . Idzik seems like he's looking for bargains more than home runs . I wouldn't say its a bloodbath really lets just see how it plays out plenty of talent still out there.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not worried about Revis. He's 30 years old. He never was a burner and with his injury and age, has probably lost a step, maybe two. He's still a very good CB, but a CB can't elevate a team to a Lombardi Trophy. I could care less if he signs with the Pats. He would just be their headache to deal with.

I agree with you that Milliner is going to be fine. The Jets can re-sign Cro, add a different FA and/or draft a CB and be fine. Sometimes one has to take a step backwards before one can go forwards. Even if they miss out on re-signing Cro or another FA, the CB play wasn't exactly stellar last season and the team finished 8-8 when they were expected to do worse. With Milliner improving, Richardson having a year's experience, with Wilk being Wilk, and hopefully Coples getting better at OLB (but I have my doubts), if the Jets add a quality OLB and/or FS prospect in the draft, the D could actually wind up being better. If they address their offensive needs in FA and the draft, the team can be better overall, even though the CB play might actually be a little worse.

I think a lot of Jets fans make too much of Rex's system and the kind of CB play he wants. If he's so smart and creative, he should be able to tweak his system to using the CBs in a different manner. He could have them start playing some zone. Another "novel" idea is for him to actually start valuing the OLB and FS positions and utilizing them as they were intended to be utilized and not in some lesser, subservient role as he sees them.

I despise Revis as a person. I don't care how good he is as a player, imo, he's not worth the headache to the FO. He's too greedy and it's ridiculous to tie up as much money as he wants in a CB. Rex just doesn't "get it". The problem with the Jets' D with all their talent and #1 picks in the front 7 is with Rex, and all the Jets fans that think he's some sort of genius. Let some other team waaay overpay Revis. You yourself said you think we'll be fine without him. A team can't worry about what other teams may or may not do. After all the work Idzik has done to clean things up, it would be nuts for he and the Jets to turn right around and ruin their cap and payscale and sign Revis just to keep him away from the Pats.

3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Decker would immediately be the best wideout on our team by far and he's arguably the best FA receiver available. So anybody that doesn't want him on the Jets is a fucking idiot IMO.

HardHitta and Rockinz like this.
  4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Or how about we bring in a receiver that can beat the coverage....

The 1985er likes this.
  5. fdcnyc

fdcnyc Active Member

Does anyone think that Denver legalizing weed has something to do with all these players flocking there ? Need to get outside the lines on that

6. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

It does. I don't want Revis at his current price. With the exception that it's a 1 year deal, so that at least makes it a consideration.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree. Not just for free agency, but for the team overall. Fans want to compete with the Broncos or Patriots in 2014, but that just is not realistic. If the Jets take the next step, that would be great, but it takes time.

The 1985er likes this.
  8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Sorry about that...helps to state what I'm starting out at. My starting point is $6.5 million. If we can lock Decker in somewhere between $6.5 and $7.5 million per...that would be the sweet spot.

Jets1Zero likes this.
  9. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Once again seems like Idzik will have a line in the sand for Decker. Maybe Decker will want to prove he's legit since he's probably ready all the reports saying he's not worth #1 money. No way we give him more than 6-7 mil a year

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

We have a lot of cap room this year. If we could sign Revis for a frontloaded contract then it could be worth it. Then we'd have him reasonably for the next 3 years and we could still resign Wilk and make moves.

11. MikeSLTJ23

After seeing soxxx's link to the salaries of the top WRs, I don't see how Decker can be considered worth 7 mil. I wouldn't be terribly upset, but there's no doubt it's overspending.

Every argument with any WR should be, "Calvin Johnson's making $5M this year. Are you better than Calvin Johnson?"

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

It was flawed, dont trust that link, those are only the base salaries, those guys got incentives. Ill try to find the real deals.

MoWilkNYJ likes this.
  13. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

A front loaded contract for Revis essentially guarantees a hold out.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Can someone post a list of WRs that are making money in the 7 million range?

15. MikeSLTJ23

I retract this statement. Apparently that was base salary he linked to. Totally different ball game.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Of course you would - you want the Pats to put a better team around Brady.

17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

There was hardly any difference between several FA WRs. Probably the biggest one is Decker commanding an inflated contract off of Peyton #'s. There's $50M in cap and you don't get any credit for playing the season $30M under the cap which is exactly where this is heading. Could've shored up the defensive backfield with a blue chip player, and added one of the more modest WRs that probably aren't much worse. Then either overpay Howard slightly for continuity or take a hit at RT after good moves are made at least. $50M CAP SPACE this is so fucked.

18. MikeSLTJ23

Yup, just noticed that. I remembered Calvin signed a great contract, and knew my comment had to be wrong.

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Sadly, you can't use this argument. Heck the 49'ers just picked up Blaine Gabbert at $2.1/yr. and Kaepernick is sitting on $975k for next year. Calvin signed a contract and that is what it is. Unfortunately, the averages point to us laying out between $6.5 and $7-8 million to get Decker in the fold. It almost is what it is...unless Idzik stands firm and we sign nobody.

20. Mr. Green Pants

I love this board. General sentiment after the season was that we could stand to upgrade at LT. Now, folks are griping that we didn't give Austin freakin' Howard $30 million. Unreal.