2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Question to those that don't decker is a #1... Is there a #1 on the market? I don't think there is and I think decker is one of the better receivers available. I don't see an available WR who can consistently handle double teams. The jets need an upgrade an decker is an upgrade

2. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm not going to debate Decker's rookie year numbers being unimpressive. He was a rookie and didn't play much. That's fine. Kerley had to play a lot because we never draft receivers and Mason was cut. You're grasping for straws to show that Decker will not be good. As soon as he was a featured member of the offense, he made a huge impact.

Next conversation.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I heard Decker wanted $9 million a year. I would say 5 is fair. He would be the #2 WR too. No way he is a #1.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You are talking about 800+ yards this past year like we should be impressed. He was terrible. He had alligator arms and noticeably lost a step due to injury. Fun fact that you left out: in 2012 he put up 690 yards in 13 games. He has been a mediocre receiver that had one good year, one great year and was CLEARLY the product of playing with an elite deep threat.

5. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I want Decker, but not at #1 money. A team goes backwards by paying above market value for a player just because he's the best available. I don't care if he's an upgrade if I have to pay for more than just an upgrade.

6. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

At that price? Pass. I even pass at 7.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are making far too much good sense. Apparently that is unacceptable today.

It seems to me the mood on this thread has changed significantly in one day. Yesterday the theme was to spend the money, damn the torpedo's, go-go, go, be daring with reckless abandon, overpay if necessary, grab a safety or cornerback or a tackle. what's wrong with Idzik?
    Today is all about the criticsm of Decker. People seem more likely to go ape shit on a meaningless tirade about "Kerley is better than Decker" which to me says so what?...that just makes us better. Or, the eternal Nick is better than Decker, another entirely subjective point based on health, games played, specific game planning, etc, etc. , not to mention the potential and likelihood of getting one over the other.

Personally, Tate, Nicks, and Decker are massive upgrades to our roster. If we know one thing for sure is that Idzik will not go crazy with the wallet, so rest assure he will get us the best value for the market demand.

It's time to stop bitching about who of the three and concentrate on how soon. Clearly to me for 6-7M would give us an instant upgrade, more production and better leadership at reduced cost than keeping Tone. Its a win win.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Someone will pay him more than NE will..the only scare is if they do trade for him.

9. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

7 gets it done. no doubt in my mind. its high but remember, our situation offensively is not WR friendly historically. you gotta pony up if you want a big name WR if youre the NYJ

10. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Don't forget that Peyton CHOSE to play in Denver.

And I don't think he chose the Broncos because of their Defense.

nyjunc likes this.
  11. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this? I hope Idzik doesn't give him that much

12. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

One huge difference.

Those that wanted Byrd know that Byrd is one of the best safeties in the game.
    Verner/Davis are also #1 CBs, among the best at their position.

Decker is no where near the best at his position.

Combine that with a very deep WR class, that's why you are seeing objection.

13. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

Idzik has to sign one of Decker or Nicks. There's no way we can go into the draft needing BOTH an X and Z with the holes we have from the OL to the secondary. If we get one of them that would allow us to possibly use our 1st rounder on either a OLB, CB, or FS (depending on who's there) and draft a guy like Davante Adams in the 2nd.

14. Tarzanboy

Tarzanboy Member

I'm just saying if we wanted him bad enough and someone else offered a fifth...we really aren't losing anything except a pick we don't have yet...I think it makes them look smart...we essentially sent him there to rehab and get him back with no long term guarantees

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I am not worried at all about this approach to free agency. Idzik has said time and time again that he will build this team through the draft which will allow success for years and years to come.

They asked Robert Kraft yesterday about free agency and he said it in the perfect way:

“I don’t ever believe in selling your soul for a bowl of [porridge]."

16. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

We lost Trufant to Cle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

On Mike & Mike, Schefter said Decker is looking for north of $6mil. Schlereth chimed in on how that is slot receiver type money. In fact, Welker & Amendola's contracts average $6mil per year. Given that, $5mil per year would be an unrealistic steal for Decker. $7ish mil would be reasonible. 4/$28-$30mil is probably Idzik's target ceiling.

18. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

The Jets will a add another receiver and tight end along the way. By no means does signing Decker mean the end of upgrading the passing game. They will draft a receiver. All signing Decker does is free up options with their draft picks .

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good post. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I would accept that, if the Jets plan is to make Decker the #2, and draft a #1 via draft.

20. NyJ 7n7

NyJ 7n7 Member

@CPatterson_TOJ: RE Decker from Denver's 104.3 the Fan - "I think the number is going to be around $7 or $8 million."