2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

howard was ranked the 47th tackle last year. breno ranked 41st

yeah, fuck idzik for not paying howard the 2nd most money for a RT. he's such an idiot for getting a better player for less money

MoWilkNYJ likes this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

6 mil per is not at all ridiculous, it's the market for FA RT's.
    Look at what Cherilus, Loadholt, Smith and Vollmer all signed for recently.
    Howard and Streif are the most attractive RT's in this years crop, and Howard is 4 years younger.

Per Cimini, we also offered him 6mil per (who knows if accurate), but Oakland offered better guaranteed.
    It's a loss, and we now need to focus on Streif and drafting a T in my opinion.

3. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Good, Howard sucked anyway.

4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

So now we should overpay for guys and be in the same situation we were in last year? Yeah no thanks good move by Idzik

5. BacktoQueens

Giacomini is a guy who would have to compete for a starting job here. He'd be a downgrade.

Streif is the guy we should target. He's 31, and D'brick getting older. Might be a good time to draft a T as well.

Anyone familiar with Collins? I haven't seen much of him, but thought i read he can play LT or RT. That flexibility might make him attractive.
    Possible starting RT, with injury insurance at LT should something happen to D'brick.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is the exact reason why he was not offered more guaranteed money by Idzik. He was a solid starter but was not top 3 in this league.

Drawing a line. Good move Idzik

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Like I said Idzik is going after cheap vets to supplement the roster. This proves it. And I love it. We finally have a sensible GM. I wanted Howard back, but we potentially will get a guy that is just as good as Howard only cheaper.

8. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Idzik is a fucking joke. $50M in cap space and not only does he fail to sign any of the best FAs he can't even manage to keep the best FA already on the team.

9. BacktoQueens

Breno is not as good as Howard, won't be all that much cheaper (we'll see), and we are disrupting the continuity of the line.

Overall i agree with you on Idzik's approach though. I like it. Just don't agree with losing Howard over a fine line (no pun)..

10. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Is it his fault that Austin Howard went to the highest bidder? Also, it appears like Howard wanted to re-unite with Soprano in Oakland, so we would have had to overpay for him even more to get him to stay.

Byrd got overpaid, Verner didn't fit the scheme, Davis was probably just using as us leverage against the Colts. etc.

The only one I wish we got, especially after seeing the contract was TJ Ward.

11. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Did you say a visit? Giacomini visiting? Someone is finally coming for a visit! I didn't realize Howard ranked 47 out of 76 on the rankings...thought he played better than that considering he only allowed 2 sacks and committed 2 penalties. Glad we are going to try to fill this whole.

12. BacktoQueens

so it's a ridiculous deal because there is more guaranteed money? the base pay per year is in line with all those other guys.
    I think he'll be around 5th in per year salary amongst RT's. You should expect the most attractive RT in FA to hit a number like that.

13. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

After years of Tanny overpaying free agents on day 1 of free agency, Idzik is a step in the right direction. I wish we could have signed Howard before free agency began, but not paying him 6 million a year (with 15 guaranteed) is a very smart decision. I have a feeling we will have a number of frugal yet effective signings over the next week or so. I'm kind of bummed about Verner, but oh well.

I just hope we don't sign Revis, honestly. Unless we can get him for <$12 million a year with a contract that makes it impossible for him to holdout, he's not worth the headache.

14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

He's not even a top 32 ranked tackle.

Think about that for a second.

15. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

How the fuck does he manage to not get Ward or Byrd, then fail to even get a top CB or OLB to at least soften the blow? This is beyond pathetic and he lost the only longterm piece of the OL that remains over 5% difference in money. It would have been so straightforward to spend some money and make the team 5 times better, and he somehow managed to make the team worse off instead. This guy is obviously hopeless.

16. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

What would you rather have:

36 mil of cap space and Revis at CB1

Or 50 Mil of cap space and Milliner/Wilson as your CB duo?

17. The 1985er

You're plugging in vets that can step in and play right away. I'm pretty sure he won't cost 6 million a year. I do agree that we need continuity on the line but if you can bring in a solid vet that is as good as Howard while paying less. It's practically a no brainer.

18. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Top 32 tackles usually play LEFT tackle.

19. The 1985er

2007 Patriots maybe?

20. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

I do think Idzik is a good GM. He just got schooled his first time around the block and the wheel of a high powered automobile..last year he was driving a Kia 0r shopping at Walmart this year it seems like he got sticker shocked. It happens, in this business if you hesitate you lose! Did I want him to overpay? No. But I did expect some upgrades to the roster. Upgrade are never guaranteed in the draft but atleast in free agency you know what a player has done in the league and if the player can help your club. So we know free agency is need based..we have a bunch of needs... filled none of them..guess we are looking in the bargain bin to fulfill our needs? How many of these scratch and dent, misfit, over the hill players will be able to survive a whole season? Look at our receiving corps. Our OLB's . Our OL and TE's...the only part of our team that would cause another team to pause is our Dline. Can the other parts of the team be fixed with tier 2-3 free agents and rookies?? John Idzik seems to think so.