Santonio Holmes Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zombo, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because the media is going to talk to the people who are most quotable and who are seen as the star players on the team?

It's not like the media isn't going to seek out Santonio Holmes and talk to him after every game. Putting him out under the spotlight is actually a productive way of keeping his contributions positive.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The problem with Holmes at this point has nothing to do with whether or not he is a distraction. I happen to agree that he is a distraction but understand that's debateable and I think that's beside the point. He just isn't that good anymore and his salary is completely out of line with his remaining abilities. He was overpaid prior to being injured, now it's a no brainer. He looked slow on the field last year and also dropped a lot of passes. For a receiver whose game is based on quickness he is very much lacking it at this point in his career.

3. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

"I can't throw it to myself" was probably the worst of it IMO, That and publicly calling out the O-line at the beginning of that season. While neither incident is damning in itself,.. and he's right about the O-line needing to give more time, Neither of these things should be said to the media by a teammate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-geno-smith-cant-throw-it-to-myself/2919071/

and

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/14/santonio-calls-out-offensive-line-again/

In comparison - Never mentions that his line is shitty, or his WRs are malcontents, or that his OC is a piece of garbage.. Just says that he has to get better.
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/mark-sanchez-blames-himself-for-jets-loss-1.4058621
    http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/foru...anchez-takes-blame-for-loss-to-saints.109959/
    http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-yor...ck-mark-sanchez-takes-blame-nfl-week-9-scores
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/12/jets_mark_sanchez_ends_poor_se.html

Teammates should take the blame as a whole or individual, not point the finger at teammates. That causes problems.

4. Ajitator

Players are required to be available to the media if requested I believe.

To your point about why we haven't heard any stories I would say it may be because "Anonymous" Pettine has moved on, or that the rest of the team are full of grown men who don't talk badly about people to the media but instead keep things in house, Or it could be that he's really just a good teammate.. There's no way for any of us to really know.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

My point is the media does not get to choose who the Jets produce in the the post-game presser. I don't understand why the people who run the Jets would make a player one of the faces of the team if they also think he's someone who should not be on the roster because he's all the things his Haters claim him to be. THat makes no sense.

6. Big Blocker

That is a reasonable position, and I can only quibble with it while basically agreeing that it is not clear he is done.

7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

let's use common sense...Holmes actions were either a distraction or had a negative effect on the team in the locker room and on the field. this is pure common sense to be honest.

8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I say good riddance. He gave us some good memories, sure. But uninspired play past two seasons and the injury history is enough to make cool with him being cut.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Do you watch any of the games? You have got to be kidding me - not only are you delusional, you aren't very bright either. I think this post by you confirms this.

#209 101GangGreen101, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    JetsVilma28 likes this.
  10. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Thank you Santonio for the service. I'll never forget the incredible TD catch in the 2010 season playoffs against New England that sealed the deal for that game for us. No one was giving NY a prayer in that game, seeing how we got stomped out earlier in the regualer season that year by the Pats, but Santonio came up big for us that game.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Classic.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not buying it. If he was such a distraction, why no complaints from inside? I don't care if you or anyone else here was distracted. Where's the negative effect? Losing games?

Here's a question: does a team captain have a right to call out a player or group that has been dogging it?

Here's my answer: they have a RESPONSIBILITYI Especially if they can do it without naming names. If the shoe fits...

13. 101GangGreen101

Welcome to the board! yes, we should not forget what Holmes did for us in the past. However, this is a "what have you done for me lately" type of league. It appears Holmes has done nothing as of late which does not warrant his contract, nor his position on this team

It was a typo sue me

14. Ajitator

You're right,.. and dead wrong. It is absolutely his responsibility to get on players that are dogging it. HOWEVER, this should NEVER be done in public. Leave that to the coaches to call players or squads out as motivation. As a teammate, Criticism should be kept in house, Praise should be spread to the public.

Also - About the "Why no complaints from inside". See my post earlier. Anonymouse Mike left and wouldn't surprise me if complains like that are kept private. Most of the team are good people who agree with my sentiments above and would rather keep complaints in house then spread them out to the media to allow them to cause a distraction.. Specially the NY media.

I'm not as adamant as some of the posters here that Holmes is gone, and I'm not saying that he's a bad teammate. But to say that he's been a "good" teammate is a pretty far stretch by anyones imagination. Good teammates don't drive the bus over other teammates... Not to the media, and certainly not DURING a game.

15. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

16. Big Blocker

I don;t think it is common sense at all. I think if what you Holmes Haters say is actually true, then:

1. We would have stories, even if only based on rumors, of how he is unpopular with his teammates or is otherwise the distraction people like you ASSUME to be the case.
    2. The Jets would not produce him as a face of the franchise at events like post-game pressers.
    3. He would have been cut or traded before now. I understand his contract hit compared to his lack of production due to injury may lead to that very result now, but his Haters have been saying these things for over two years now. Yet he has remained on the team. Why?
    4. you would see other players show by their behavior they do not like being around him.

Yet we see none of those things.

Don't you think the press would love to run stories about how other Jet players hate him or find him distracting? Or inside sources would complain about him? Yet we have nothing.

That tells me alot more than what you think common sense tells you.

17. Big Blocker

I am far more intelligent than you. I am not surprised you have nothing to back up your position than a complaint that I do not agree with you, or see things your way. You think your position and namecalling are persuasive?

If you do, you are an idiot.

18. 101GangGreen101

Yeah that's right you stick that e-chest out bro - the fact that you constantly have to say, "I am far more intelligent then you" really shows your insecurity. How many times have you said this already?

Your inability to comprehend is seriously alarming. May God (or Orton whomever you praise) have mercy on your soul.

19. Big Blocker

I correctly noted I am far more intelligent than you because YOU accused me of being stupid. YOU raised the subject, not me. Then you blame me for responding.

I can assure you I have no insecurities whatsoever, and in fact feel I must be sure to appear reasonably humble here. You can stop worrying on my account in that regard.

I also correctly comprehended you did not cite a single bit of persuasive evidence to back up your baseless position.

Nor will you going forward. Instead we are likely to see nothing more than ad hominem attacks. Your manner of posting is obvious for all to see.

20. Big Blocker

I correctly noted I am far more intelligent than you because YOU accused me of being stupid. YOU raised the subject, not me. Then you blame me for responding.

I can assure you I have no insecurities whatsoever, and in fact feel I must be sure to appear reasonably humble here. You can stop worrying on my account in that regard.

I also correctly comprehended you did not cite a single bit of persuasive evidence to back up your baseless position.

Nor will you going forward. Instead we are likely to see nothing more than ad hominem attacks. Your manner of posting is obvious for all to see.