Santonio Holmes Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zombo, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Hard to tell what Holmes is actually saying here, So can't crucify him. However to me, Holmes looks like he actually makes the WRONG read on the line. I think he sees the LB lined up on him and is trying to show Geno that he's got one on one. In actuality he's double covered and the flat is wide open.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

"Get me the ball here" that's the impression I am getting. It's just things like this over a course of 3 years that really piss me off about Holmes. Primary targets don't do things like this. He reminds me of JR Smith of the Knicks sometimes; finds ways to fuck things up for everyone.

Funny you say that because I think Holmes made the wrong read here too. It appears he is telling Geno where he's going or a soft part of the defense. Little did Holmes know showing his cards would gander attention. Again, funny I say attention, when he called out the Panthers secondary early in the week.

On a big down like that, not a good idea to point and do these type of things.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

LMAO at the Haters!

If they can get Holmes back at the right price, that would be great.

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yeah im still taking holmes back at the right price honestly, i think the hatred for him is too high on this forum

if we draft mike evans, holmes would fit in perfectly

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

So you're saying he didn't work with Kerley at all the last few years? What a bust that guy turned out to be, eh?

What about WAYNE HUNTER? The dude caused way more issues over the course of the season. LOL at being mad cuz Holmes yelled at Hunter in the huddle cuz he SUCKED. Guess what happens when Sanchez doesn't have time because one of our tackles was a turnstile? Receivers don't complete their routes and production goes down. And let's not mention MARK SANCHEZ, Mr. turnover and 500 page sucks thread himself. Both players were WAY BIGGER factors in our struggles in 2011 than Santonio Holmes.

Really? You honestly believe that Santonio was asking for the ball there? This is how bad it has become with the anti-Santonio crowd. They'll look for any slight detail to manufacture things to be mad at Holmes about. That is PURE speculation. Geno's the QB, it's his job to throw the ball to the open man. You honestly believe that Holmes has this power that he can just call for the ball at any time and it overrides the play? He could have said anything there. He might have been trying to warn him about disguised coverage.

#185 Barcs, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. 101GangGreen101

Awesome a veteran malcontent receiver influencing an immature, talented receiver.

What about Stephen Hill? Clyde Gates? How come they didn't get better? They needed help from a vet more than anything.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^Hill could still come around, when QB play improves on this team. It's too early to count him out. Gates did seem to improve a little bit, but never really turned the corner before he got injured.

Sorry bud, we can't all be emotionally driven whiners about every thing. I apologize if positivity makes you dislike my posts, but that's your problem. You don't like? Use the ignore option. When I hear the pure raw hatred thrown at Holmes, it cracks me up, because you guys get sooooooooooo mad over it. People fucking hate me for the sole reason that I support Holmes. It's utterly hilarious how simple minded people are. Your name is Browning Nagle. I don't think you can talk.

My point was that it was an exaggeration and that what the one guy said to Stokes right after he mentioned what happened to his wife, was a pure dick thing to say. But yeah, I'm a total sissy and think that my best friend recently dying of cancer is worthy of comparison to Holmes' influence on the Jets. It's totally the same thing. The Jets are getting worse and worse as the cancer spreads. Oh wait, but they aren't, and it's not spreading. hmmmmm. Sorry, your point has been thoroughly demolished. I think it's time for recess now, see you when you get back.

#187 Barcs, Mar 5, 2014
  8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

18 points with 4 minutes + a full half of football to be played is not unrealistic in the least. Teams do it all the time. There was plenty of time in the game. The Eagles came back against the Giants with a 21 point deficit with with 7 minutes to go in the game a couple years back. We weren't out of that one by a long shot. He's had a few bad games over the years, but I definitely agree it's been more good than bad, aside from the major injury.

#188 Barcs, Mar 5, 2014
  9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I'm wondering why we should even bother with an oft-injured player who by the looks of things wasn't producing at anywhere near the super bowl MVP level he's touted for by seasons end.

We really need to stop thinking we should be giving these vets another chance under the right planetary alinement or something. We can probably find younger wide receivers with brighter more consistent futures to compete with one another, yet we want to resign the recently disappointing retread for about the same money as those guys because?...

This receiving corp is in need of an overhaul, we don't need to give the time of day to a likely declining wideout who MIGHT show something when we can give that time to better more sure and potentially longer lasting (and likely healthy) talent. Even the competition mantra has its limits as to who should be a part of that, the jets have no need for Holmes anymore, he's the part of the corps we need to upgrade from.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

all the time is an exaggeration, it has probably happened a handful of times in NFL history where a team has come back from 28 pts down.

we got it to 28-13 after the Holmes penalty and the botched plays. The D got torched. that's why we couldn't get back in it- not b/c of a penalty in the 2nd qtr.

11. Big Blocker

Let's be absolutely clear about this. You don't have shit to support the claim that Holmes is a malcontent. IF by that you mean not content to be on the Jets.

Yes, he has not been content with losing.

He has not been content playing with a crap Qb in Sanchez, but from my perspective he did an excellent job keeping that under control.

He has not been content playing the games the media wants him to play, not content to go along with their crap.

Meanwhile we have heard plenty of times about how he works with the younger receivers, about how he wants to stay with the Jets. We see him more than any other player than the Qb in post game interviews, holding his own against a despicable press corps. You realize he volunteers for that assignment?

He has been struggling with coming back from injury, and I will say it is appearing increasingly doubtful he will get back to where he was before the lis franc injury.

But I think the Holmes Haters here are about the most ridiculous set of the Jet fanbase I can recall, and that is saying something. You guys keep spouting these urban legends as if they are the Gospel truth.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

12. Big Blocker

Fair enough. The Holmes Haters being ridiculous and absurd does not change the fact, as I alluded to in my previous post, that there are real questions about his condition.

I say bring him back with a redone K and perhaps only a limited amount guaranteed, see how well he's doing in camp, and take it from there.

The reality is with some of the better vet receiver options drying up out there, that the Jets will have a greater incentive than otherwise to see if Holmes can still get it done.

13. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I would take Holmes back for no more than a 1 yr 2m contract no guaranteed money. I think he can still play but hes been dealing with a bunch of injuries. A healthy Holmes can still contribute to an offense and we need all the receiving help we can get.

14. 101GangGreen101

I'm sure Holmes doesn't have a problem playing in NY. Maybe it was Schottenheimer that caused him to act like a dick, or maybe it was Sanchez. When things don't go his way, he tries to act like a diva and it's a distraction. He's a malcontent.

Get the bum off this team.

15. Big Blocker

I would not include guaranteed money because I am feeling like Santa Claus. I would worry, however, that if the Jets cut him and are attempting to redo his salary, he could be offered some guaranteed money by another team.

Part of why I find the Holmes Haters so obnoxious is precisely because the Jets are not only so thin at wideout right now, but have no assurance of fixing that problem this off season. In other words if it were unlikely that they would even have a place for him (aside from all the atmospheric nonsense the Haters are constantly whining about), I would care far less, maybe not at all, about this whole issue.

But since they have a need they probably are not going to be able to completely fill with other players, and he still may have the ability to contribute, he should at least be considered to remain in the mix.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a reason the Steelers gave up on Holmes despite him being nearly a perfect fit for what they needed on the field. It takes a team to survive the NFL wars and they felt that his value was as an individual more than a teammate. They were worried about some of his off the field stuff and they were worried about Big Ben's off field stuff and they just decided that they could do better than Holmes despite his talents. He was too much trouble for them to maintain given the other things on their plate.

Now after 4 years on the Jets we're in a similar situation. Holmes has talent but there's so much stuff vectoring around him all the time. He takes real maintenance if you want the value out of him. On top of that he's now 30 and injury-prone. This isn't really a hard call. Some guys are extremely talented but the sum of their contributions doesn't add up to their maintenance. Holmes is in that category.

17. Big Blocker

Give me one source, one story, and not just your pure speculation and crap pulled out of your hiney hole, that Holmes has been a distraction to the team. Just one.

18. Big Blocker

Yes on the Pitt part. He had been arrested for off the field stuff, the Steelers were dealing with the Rapelisburger nonsense, had a pr disaster, wanted to keep good ole Big Ben, and Holmes was sacrificed. They felt like they had to do something.

There has never been a story that he was a locker room problem in Pitt. he was dealt by them for the reasons you mentioned.

I think the key on the second part is the Jets should make a clear eyed assessment of his physical condition. If there's enough there to warrant seeing what he has in camp, then they should proceed accordingly.

I mean it's not as if they need to cut him to make room for all the Pro Bowl talent at wideout they would otherwise not have space for.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The one about him getting into a fight in the huddle at the end of 2011?

The one about him blowing off QB/WR meetings that Sanchez was trying to setup at the end of 2011?

The one about him calling out the offensive line in 2011?

Those are all stories that were widely reported in the wake of the 2011 implosion. They all depict Holmes as a distraction at exactly the point that his team was crumbling.

20. Big Blocker

I am aware of those stories, but whether they in fact were distractions is precisely the point of relevance. What I have never heard is that these events had the effect of hurting the team.

Take the Miami game. The Jets were behind, not ahead, when that happened. And that was two years ago. Have there been any stories about how, him staying on the roster, has led to disssension on the team? This being the world we live in, I would expect at the least some rumors, at the least, of players who wish he was gone.

THAT is what I am talking about. Actual negative effects on the team, not speculation here about how this or that poster might feel, or choose to feel, about those events.

That is what I am talking about. The point being that if the Jet FO actually thought within the team, inside the locker room, in practices and games, that he was a distraction, they probably would have gotten rid of him already.

Let me ask you this. If he was such a cancer on the team, then why do they put him out there to speak for the team in the post game pressers?