Gentleman be prepared for a potential defensive draft selection with the 1st pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Feb 27, 2014.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Not sure why people here are assuming that the WR talent at 18 will be a second round talent. If you neglect getting a top talent at 18 and then getting a lesser talent at WR in the second that is far more detrimental to this team than picking up another defensive player. Defensive players don't catch and score TD's regularly. If you want to draft another defensive guy early then you will see more of the same out of this sputtering offense. Some here just seem to think this offense will magically improve WITHOUT Playmakers. It will not. It will suck again for sure. Sign me up for high level, cheap, young WR's in rounds 1 and 2 and another in FA. If not, you'll see another awful offense and that should definitely spell the end of Ryan's tenure as HC.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Barr would be awesome, but he won't be there at 18. No way to Clinton-Dix or Pryor at 18. Total reach. Would rather take Matthews at 18

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I did not like how Clinton-Dix performed in the bowl game. He was getting worked all night by Jalen Sanders.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've never thought Kony Ealy was a top 15 pick. He may be a first round pick, but not a top 15.

I have no problems with taking a defensive player, OT or Ebron in the first, but I would absolutely puke if their idea of addressing WR was to take Benjamin in the 2nd round. He's a project, and I'm not even that high on him. I did really like Landry, but I think the Combine showed his limitations, and I don't think he'll wind up being anywhere near the player in the NFL that he was in college. I wouldn't touch Landry before the Jets' own pick in the 3rd round.

5. NCJetsfan

IMO Dix simply isn't that good. Like most Alabama players, he's overrated because of their system and so many good players around them. He's not a ball-hawking type FS and that's what the Jets needs. Just because the supposed "experts" rate him as a mid-first round pick, doesn't mean that's where NFL teams will rate him or the Jets will rate him.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idzik better not take Clinton's Dick with the 1st rounder.

7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

the jets haven't taken an "offensive weapon", which is either a RB or a WR in the first round since santana moss in 2001

8. JetsNation06

Wow didn't realize it's been that long. Then again, with our sordid draft history, that shouldn't surprise. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of all 32 teams and how many of them selected RB/WR with their first rounder in recent years.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If Barr or Mack falls sign me up instantly!

I highly doubt Barr or Mack fall out of the top 10 though...

10. JetsNation06

Mack's top 10 and Barr is definitely top 15 so no way Jets get either.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

That was one game. Clinton-Dix is a stud!

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Just keep drafting Defense you say, how has that worked for us? We don't need an OT yet as Howard will be resigned.

13. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

I agree with the OP, I think if a player like Clinton-Dix is on the board I wouldnt be surprised to see the Jets pick him

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's not what he and many of us are saying. The point is, why would you draft a second round talent in the first just because you need offensive weapons?

The way you have a successful draft is by taking the bpa. If that means a defensive player, then so be it.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Watkins and Evans are the real deal. We should probably trade up for Evans.

The talent seems to thin out a bit after the first 15 or so players are gone.

With that being said there is a very good chance that the best player available at pick 18 will not be a receiver or a tight end.

As long as we avoid the following positions I do not care who we take as long as they are the best player available:

DE, DT, CB, FB, K, P, LS

16. NCJetsfan

We don't know yet what Howard is asking for. It may be a lot more than the Jets think he's worth. Just as importantly, Brick was never that good and his play has fallen off a cliff the last two years. I could easily see this or next year being his last with the team. It would be smart for the Jets to draft his replacement and start grooming him. Usually, one would think the #1 pick should start, and usually he does. If the Jets take Lewan or one of the other OTs, he could beat out Howard if Howard is re-signed, or possibly even play much better than Brick if given a chance to compete. If nothing else, he would give the Jets something they haven't had in quite a while, solid depth at OT. They've been very lucky with no major injuries except the one to Damien Woody a few years ago.

Personally, I hope they can get a stud WR, TE or OLB at #18, but if an OT is the clear-cut bpa, I'm not gonna complain.

17. NCJetsfan

That is the case in almost every draft, and in fact, quite often, it thins out after the first 5-8 picks.

I understand your not wanting a CB in the first round, especially after Milliner last year, Wilson a few years ago and Revis. I wouldn't be particularly happy if the Jets pick at CB was Dennard or Verrett, but I'd be a lot less likely to gripe if it were Gilbert. He has amazing speed, coverage ability, return ability, and ball skills. He could wind up being even better than Revis due to his ball skills and speed.

18. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

BPA, BPA... what a broad ass term.

best player available to who for starters? draft "experts"? the Jets organization? who's to say that looks nothing like what we all think it should be to the powers that be?

Are we even sure that Idzik is gonna do that in a way we expect? is he TRULY going on a universal board based on overall value regardless of position? Or is he gonna prioritize one position (WR) and move on to a broader pool if the selected players at that pick aren't there? Maybe he'd select a pool of players he'd take above all of those WR's should they fall and ignore any not deemed better despite being higher overall then CBS,walter football or some shit.

there should be a balance of need and value. I feel like we may be getting bit too finicky with this concept, If theres no obvious can't miss pick (Clowney hasn't fallen to #18 in other words) and a latter half first round talent who plays CB or DE or OT thats a bit ahead of a WR on most experts boards is up for grabs, guess who we're going with? The WR!

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

we also know that gm's always tell the truth about where players were on there draft boards after they take them.

20. JetsNation06

It has nothing to do with slipping and everything to do with the teams in front of the Jets. If you looked at the draft board the Steelers, Bears and Rams all pick ahead of the Jets. All are in desperate need of young LB's as well as some other teams ahead of the Jets. Not to mention Pitt and Chicago are two franchises that historically salivate over stud LB's and there's no way in hell either of these guys gets past either of those teams.